mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Living in California

Hey all. I am a BC boy who was born in Ontario with americans as parents. All of my relatives live in the states, most being in California. My parents have told me I have dual citizenship, so border-crossings etc wont be a huge issue. I am thinking of living in California for the summer.
    So my question is where to live in Cali. My most feasible option is with Grandma and Grandpa in Santa Cruz. The other option is with my cousins in San Diego. I know SC is great for riding, but dont know as much about San Diego. I ride and race XC, this being my first season. I will grad high-school in June and be 18 in July, and will be wanting a job to support my riding (as I don't think Grandma/Grandpa will be shelling out any money.. )
    Hopefully there is something like a weekend race series or two in the area? (either San Diego or SC). I would be riding and training every day, as well as some part-time(possibly fulltime) work. The two biggest breaks in my schedule are: Between a BC Cup and Nationals (the latter is only 4 or so hours from my house, so I will be there as a racer or a spectator, but i will BE there! ) which is June 28-July 15, and the second break is between said Nationals and another BC Cup, between July 17 and August 5th.
    Sorry if this is too mountainous(HORRIBLE pun) of a task, but this would really help, because other than BC (and Canada) Cups, there is NO XC racing scene in BC. As in like 8-10 events for the whole year. So a race every weekend or twice a week while in Cali would definately help my racing abilities grow. Hope you all are having a great weekend.
    Arca_Tern

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This website, http://www.geoladders.com/ while short on San Diego routes has many in nearby Orange County and a list of future XC races. I hope this helps you decide where to summer.

mtbr member
    You can find out more about local trails on www.mountainbikebill.com

Lord of the Chainrings

Now Go Home....

You don't want to live here.
    Too many illegal aliens, earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, democrats, etc!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've lived in both places. Will you have a car? Santa Cruz is a pretty small town, with lots of adjacent riding, and even more riding within an hour's drive radius. You could live there and get around by bike and bus, cutting down on your expenses.

San Diego is huge in area. I don't know how it is ranked by population size, but by area it is one of the largest cities in the US. My opinion of the riding there is that it is much more limited close in to town. And getting around a huge city by bus or bike takes time.

Both areas are known for expensive housing, but if you are sure you can stay with the relatives either place for the summer, then no problem.

Now, if you like swimming and the beach, I'd look hard at San Diego. You need a wetsuit year round in Santa Cruz, but the ocean off San Diego usually hits temps in the high 60's to low 70's the latter half of the summer

mtbr member
    I can't speak for Santa Cruz, but SD is great if you're single; so many things going on all the time. The good trails do take some driving to get to, but of course it depends on where you're living.