Ouch, I am hot!

Lion and Trail Tips

I will be heading to Laguna Beach next week for a one week vacation with the in-laws. In order to survive, I plan on riding Aliso-Woods and/or Whiting Ranch early mornings. Any trail suggestion here or elsewhere closeby? San Juan will probably take up too much time away from the family.

Likely I will be riding alone early early morning in these areas. Is this crazy with the lion activity of late or am I just paranoid?
    I AM JUST A JERK

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I will be heading to Laguna Beach next week for a one week vacation with the in-laws. In order to survive, I plan on riding Aliso-Woods and/or Whiting Ranch early mornings. Any trail suggestion here or elsewhere closeby? San Juan will probably take up too much time away from the family.

Likely I will be riding alone early early morning in these areas. Is this crazy with the lion activity of late or am I just paranoid?

Paranoid.

Relax and enjoy the ride like the rest of us.

Just passing through....

Mountain Lion attacks are extremely rare. Nearly every ride I do is alone though mountain lion territory. Like g c said, enjoy the ride, theres more danger from the people you'll meet than the lions.

It does remind me of why I always scuba dive with a buddy though....It reduces the chance of shark attack by 50%.....
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Now if you were riding my local trails I would tell you that there is cat scat everywhere and to stay off of my rides. Localism still happens out here, don't 'cha know.

Since I ride Oaks and not Aliso, have fun.

Stairsteps, Rockit, Meadows, Dripping Cave etal are fun. If you are here on a weekend drop Stairsteps and cross Laguna Canyon and over to Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. Pick up a map, hook up with El Moro and ride Rattlesnake, at the very least. Return the way you came.

_
    Mar 2004
    You'll be fine bro. I say you should do this ride, it isn't as long as San Juan, but comes close. Start at Whiting Ranch, once your at the top/back 4-corners area of the park, head up and over the hill and cross Santiago Canyon Road, up Modjeska grade to the Santiago Truck Trail, take that about 7.75 miles from the gate up to Old Camp, back down the same way you came til you hit the Luge. Down the Luge, back up to Santiago Canyon Road, hang a right at Cooks Corner (you see hundreds of motorcycles there if you go on a weekend), up the road until you see the stables, enter the stables, staying to the right, take that road up to the gate and you are back in Whiting. Finish up Whiting and you should have close to an 18 mile ride or so.

Or, you can mix n match trails at Aliso/Woods or El Moro, or connect the 3 parks like someone else mentioned.

Either way, dont sweat the mt. lions. So much hype out there!

Ouch, I am hot!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g c
    Now if you were riding my local trails I would tell you that there is cat scat everywhere and to stay off of my rides. Localism still happens out here, don't 'cha know.

Since I ride Oaks and not Aliso, have fun.

Stairsteps, Rockit, Meadows, Dripping Cave etal are fun. If you are here on a weekend drop Stairsteps and cross Laguna Canyon and over to Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. Pick up a map, hook up with El Moro and ride Rattlesnake, at the very least. Return the way you came.
    Thanks for all the tips. g c, if you let me have the local goods, you wouldn't feel too bad because I sort of count as at least a So. Calish local because I lived in San Diego and then San Clemente from 1993 to 1999 and lived in LA for 20 years. During this time, I was a roadie and surfed a lot, so never got to know the trails. Um, I think I just made my sort of local case worse, but I gotta try. Oaks, please tell?
    I AM JUST A JERK