Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BH1
    mtbr member

Limekiln Cyn, Porter Ranch - "NO BIKES ALLOWED" signs

Anyone in the Porter Ranch, Granada Hills, Northridge area familiar with the Limekiln Cyn trail and know why the new "NO BIKES ALLOWED" signs have been posted? I know its not the best trail but it is right out my front door and a portion of the morning ride that I do before work, and have done for a number of years now.

The signs were posted up a few weeks ago and I have admittedly turned a blind eye to them but today at 6:45am on my morning ride I was getting harassed by the local hikers who I have shared this trail with for years. The woman who yelled at me I have seen a number of times before. I have been nothing but courteous to everyone on this trail but now that the new signs have gone up and the hikers are getting vocal.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone in the area has any insight as to why the signs went up and what can be done about it.

Pro Crastinator
    please, don't act like you aren't aware of the fvcktards that haul ass down that trail all geared up without the slightest regard to the pedestrians there. i too have shared this trail with them and have almost been run over at least once a week for almost 10 years now...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Seems to be quite the common theme huh? It's unfortunate that inconsiderate riders can close trails for responsible ones. Try to get them reopened; unfortunately it's a near impossibility...

BH1
    mtbr member
    I know its the inconsiderate riders who are ruining it for those of us who value what we have. These riders are on every trail.

I guess my specific question is, What transpired to get to this point? Specific incident? Town hall style meetings? Petitions? I'm not sure I've ever seen such blatant anti-bike signs at any trailhead before.

On the bright side I have a lot of other local trails to ride.

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the section north of the 118 or south of it, along Tampa? I live in GH and haven't ever ridden there.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

BH1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Are you talking about the section north of the 118 or south of it, along Tampa? I live in GH and haven't ever ridden there.
    North of the 118 up to Sesnon

Beer Please!
    Take some pics of the signs. I am always curious to know if they are officially sanctioned by the land managers or if they are just put up by a single local user who does not like bikes....
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Funny how the police change over time.

I lived near Limekiln cyn starting in the late 1960's. In those days we would hike up the paved road that started where Chatsworth St dead-ended, onto a dirt road where there were old corrugated metal barns protecting some farm equipment (lots of citrus groves then). There were no trespassing signs, so we tried to avoid being spotted by workers around the equipment. Once past this area the trail continued up the cyn, paralleling Tampa. There were no tract homes up there yet, and you could hike North to the oil fields, or West toward Mormon Canyon.

A few years later we all had motocross bikes. The equipment was gone, and the "law" then was to walk the bikes on the street (they weren't street legal), but trail riding was fine. We'd ride all day on weekends up there, including a tight/twisty motocross track made by (then) race star John Maroney.

Soon the authorities decided this wasn't restrictive enough: Motorcycles were "fire hazards" (even if equipped with spark arrestors), and the ruts on the trails caused "erosion". Now the coppers would chase us into the hills with their black and whites, and even the police helicopter. Usually we would take off and duck into Limekiln canyon where the copter couldn't find us. (I wrote here before about trying to out-run the helicopter then having an officer poke his revolver into my belly for "evading arrest")

Weed was popular in those days, and teens would party in Limekiln on Saturday nights until the black and whites would cruise up with their lights off.

Now the whole thing is wall to wall tract homes, and marijuana is both legal and encouraged for anyone with a headache.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Take some pics of the signs. I am always curious to know if they are officially sanctioned by the land managers or if they are just put up by a single local user who does not like bikes....
    This. If the signs are illegal, contact the city to let them know as a responsible cyclist and supporter of multi use trails, this is not in the spirit of sharing.

We have a killer network of trails near my house, that have been built/maintained by our local riding crew. Thankfully there is a mutual respect between equestrians and MTB, to the extent that we've gone to their meetings to show support.

I don't dig riding across horse scat, but better friends than foes...

Best of luck to you, BH1!!

mtbr member
    I was raised at "tampa land" and rode all the trails there. I remember seeing my frist mountain bike race at limekiln cyn going thru the "tunnnel" that goes from the park under rinaldi & the 118. sad that some a holes ruin such things.

mtbr member
    Limekiln Cyn, Porter Ranch - "NO BIKES ALLOWED" signs-20140826_065503-copy.jpgLimekiln Cyn, Porter Ranch - "NO BIKES ALLOWED" signs-20140826_065531-1-copy.jpgLimekiln Cyn, Porter Ranch - "NO BIKES ALLOWED" signs-screenshot_2014-08-26-07-02-11.jpg

Appears legit, unfortunately, including a municipal code. I'm not sure when Limekiln Canyon was designated a "city park", but the area has seen a recent explosion of new homes and retail development. The last time I rode there (last year?) it was not even close to a pleasant experience- blind corners and too many hikers.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Haha...apparently it doesn't welcome everyone.

It would suck if they close Aliso and Palisades on top of that.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    It is legit...we discussed it in length last night at the CORBA meeting..basically, the city doesn't want to hear from special interest groups to keep the trails open, they want to hear from the local Tax payers. So I am going to be working with a bike shop in Granada Hills to assist with working with the city. Fingers eyes and toes crossed please!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member

H&S? I live in GH, maybe I can help.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    YES! Do you know ROB? Can you email me privately? wendy@girlzgoneriding.com

Thank you!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Wendy- Thank you for working on this!
    Never give up, never surrender.

BH1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    It is legit...we discussed it in length last night at the CORBA meeting..basically, the city doesn't want to hear from special interest groups to keep the trails open, they want to hear from the local Tax payers. So I am going to be working with a bike shop in Granada Hills to assist with working with the city. Fingers eyes and toes crossed please!
    As a home owning, tax paying resident of this area what can I do to help?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    the city doesn't want to hear from special interest groups to keep the trails open, they want to hear from the local Tax payers.
    Aren't the "special interest groups" made up mostly of local taxpayers?

The sign doesn't mean "no bikes allowed" but it the new "Welcome to California" sign Very popular in most all areas today

I really get the feeling that if they have less trails they will have less work to do, with the same pay and benefits too...
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    BH1: Can you email me privately? I need to get a meeting set up with the local residents of Granada hills and the shop. They consider GGR & CORBA special interest groups, so we need the residents who cycle and business's of Granada hills to step in and help. Thank you! wendy@girlzgoneriding.com
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    @dirtrider, yes, the "special interest" groups are local tax payers. I am floored as well. I am guessing because we are a very large group, they just don't want to feel cornered. So plan B!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Any of you that are local and want to help, please email me directly. We need the locals to help here. wendy@girlzgoneriding.com. Thank you so much! In the mean time, please be nice to ALL on the trail, pull over/yield for hikers, dogs, horses, etc. Let's be friendly bikes and keep our multi use trails open! I've been knocked down myself by other bikers and it's absolutely unacceptable. It's only the few that ruin it for us all and get the trails closed down.
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i stopped riding limekiln because there was just too many hikers....still sucks that they posted up the signs. i actually live in GH on the other side of aliso, closer to 3 trees/mission peak and o'melveny. hope i don't see these signs pop up on these trails too.

is H&S a new shop? i've been seeing that name a lot lately.
    '10 specialized epic comp carbon - 650b

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cursor718 View Post
    i stopped riding limekiln because there was just too many hikers....still sucks that they posted up the signs. i actually live in GH on the other side of aliso, closer to 3 trees/mission peak and o'melveny. hope i don't see these signs pop up on these trails too.

is H&S a new shop? i've been seeing that name a lot lately.
    H&S went in where Bicycle Den was, at Mission and Balboa, right next to the Big 5. They have a shop in Burbank, too. They hired back two of the guys that worked at BD, so they'll have my business.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    May 2011
    actually passed by today to check out the shop. started out ok. told them i currently ride a specialized epic but was looking to replace it with something more 'all mountain'. then the 2 old guys behind the register started making fun of anything specialized.....a customer that had passed by earlier asking for specialized tires when they clearly are not a specialized dealer and saying they only give the thumbs up to anyone not riding a specialized when on the trails, etc....got tired of their 'stories' and left. the one guy helping me was cool but definitely not going back. if this is the shop that you're working with.....good luck.
    '10 specialized epic comp carbon - 650b

mtbr member

While pretty unprofessional and crappy for a shop, Spec has earned the ire of many for a reason - most recently their attempt to spear a small bike shop for having a name similar to one of their bikes, not to mention a city in France. They're a douchebag company.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast