mtbr member

Large Cat, estimated at 400 to 600 pounds

Big cat loose near Reagan Library

Animal estimated at 400 to 600 pounds

By Brandon Mackey, bmackey@VenturaCountyStar.com
    February 18, 2005

Officials with the Ventura County Sheriff's Department and the state Department of Fish and Game warned people living between Moorpark and Simi Valley that there is a large exotic cat roaming the area.

Thursday's announcement comes after large paw prints were found Tuesday in Day Creek Ranch, near the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum.

According to Patrol Lt. Chris Long of Fish and Game, the 7-inch prints came from an animal weighing between 400 and 600 pounds.

"Mountain lions in the area might reach 160 pounds, and that would be a large lion," Long said at the news conference in Moorpark.

The prints were discovered after a farmworker on the ranch reported seeing the hind legs and tail of an animal run into a heavily vegetated area Tuesday. There have been no reports of attacks or mauled animal carcasses, Long said.

Neither department has concluded what species of cat this is but adult African lions and Asian tigers can reach that weight.

"The reported color of the animal was tan or brown," Long said. "There were no spots or stripes seen on the body."

The advisory comes nearly a week after Abby and Emma Hedengran were ordered to remove 22 large cats, including lions and tigers, from their Moorpark property on Lapeyre Road.

"All the animals were accounted for when they were removed," Long said. "We are investigating any missing cats in the time prior to the Lapeyre incident."

According to Long, Fish and Game officials will search the area near the sighting for additional information on the animal. The results will guide any future search or hunt for the cat.

Sheriff's deputies began going door to door informing residents in the area about the prints Thursday evening, said spokesman Eric Nishimoto.

Officials are advising residents to keep children and pets indoors and to notify either the Sheriff's Department at 654-2311 or Fish and Game at 1-951-782-4353, if an animal is seen.

Glad to Be Alive
    over 6 inch paws
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Now... harder to kill.

No More Tiger

Well, the big kitty turned up in a Moorpark back yard this morning. Ventura PD / SD contained it with a little perimeter and Fish & Game killed it. Poor guy was probably cold, wet, and freaked out. I hope the ass that was keeping it until last week is dealt with accordingly.
    "My Life is violent, but violence is life" - Ice T

WANTED: A 20" Yeti frameset

34N 118W

RIP Liger

Quote Originally Posted by 415m3
    I hope the ass that was keeping it until last week is dealt with accordingly.
    dumb asses

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 415m3
    Well, the big kitty turned up in a Moorpark back yard this morning. Ventura PD / SD contained it with a little perimeter and Fish & Game killed it. Poor guy was probably cold, wet, and freaked out. I hope the ass that was keeping it until last week is dealt with accordingly.
    Maybe the ass is now tiger poo.

mtbr member
    They killed it this morning.

One thing the news neglected to report is that they had to shoot it three times, with the last shot coming several minutes after the first two. They said they were afraid to tranqualize the animal, but they sure took their time finishing it off.. Screwup, then coverup.

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Oldman
    They killed it this morning.
    Um, you mean yesterday.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    Um, you mean yesterday.

I hope they refrigerated him. It's not everyday a guy can order up Tiger Tacos or whatnot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

WTF Do You Need a Tiger For??

Just freakin amazes me that people need to get tigers as pets. I read the original owners told the authorities that it had died. Were the owners just gonna wait till the tiger starved to death or attack someone? I live only two miles away from the freaks that owned the tiger.

And like many have said, I hope the dumbass owners pay for wasting the life of the tiger, freakin morons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    I live only two miles away from the freaks that owned the tiger.
    You'd be doing the world a favor if you would post their pictures and address, so we could make sure we got the right people.

high plains drifter
    Mike Tyson had tigers. you mean he is a dumb a$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by mateoway
    Mike Tyson had tigers. you mean he is a dumb a$$
    You pretty much summed it up. Only thing with Mike is he has alot more that qualifies him for that category.

Glad to Be Alive
    the owner had a compound where they could run all over the place. This bothered nearby residents who saw tigers on their property. Sheriffs shut the compound down but I guess one escaped. Due to the sueing nature of people they didn't fess up. Somebody needs to go to jail for a while.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    The news reported today that the cat had been de-clawed. ( A barbaric practice where the animal's last knuckles are removed.)

Somebody knew that they were keeping big cats in the neighborhood. Sombody knew that one had escaped (or was ordered out by the sheriff?). Somebody knew the cat couldn't catch food or defend itself in the wild. Somebody knew that it wasn't dangerous and could have kept it from being shot.

I'd sure like to kick the shi'I' out of somebody.

Glad to Be Alive
    The news reported today that the cat had been de-clawed. ( A barbaric practice where the animal's last knuckles are removed.)

Somebody knew that they were keeping big cats in the neighborhood. Sombody knew that one had escaped (or was ordered out by the sheriff?). Somebody knew the cat couldn't catch food or defend itself in the wild. Somebody knew that it wasn't dangerous and could have kept it from being shot.

more suckeee news...Jail time

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status

Was the big cat de-teethed too? I don't beleive many other people would assume the big cat was NOT dangerous simple because it was de-cllawed.