Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lakeside/ San Diego Memorial Weekend

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  mild beast 
#1 ·
I'm bringing Mrs. Trog down from Norcal to visit with her mom Memorial weekend. I got a free pass for Sat and Sun. Any rides or recommendations?

20-30 miles ST amongst some trees would be nice. I've never been to Noble. Is that a must do?

#3 ·
Noble Canyon is great.....

But there are so many other rides. Are you going to have access to the rest of San Diego County? A local ride near Lakeside is Sycamore Canyon or Anderson or Mission Trails. If you want more info on either please feel free to IM me. I'm busy that weekend or else I would love to be a tour guide. Tons of XC friendly rides to be had though. You may want to check out Cuyamaca Mtn area or The Big Laguna Trail. If you have the time, you could make the trek to San Juan Trail in Orange County. About 1.5 hrs from Lakeside. Either way, there are tons of rides around S.D.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to ride Noble. I found lots of good stuff on mtbbill's site. If you see a guy in a mtbr jersey and orange GF Ferrous out there weekend, at least wave, or at most offer a beer.

#5 · (Edited)
This remind's me of an old local SD band called the Beat Farmers and their song Lakeside Trailer Park. I frequented there concerts in the ninety's. The lead singer Country Dick Montana died on stage of a heart attack in 1995 up in Whistler B.C.. Check it out kiddies....
Lakeside Trailer Park video clip:

Country Dick's Death:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Dick_Montana

He was quite an entertainer; you had to see him live to get the full effect.

#6 · (Edited)
Looks like some rain is predicted for Fri & Sat.

I'm planning the Tour De Noble route from mtbbills site most likely on Sun unless it's dry Sat.

How does the trail hold up for rain? Ride or stay off?

29" Rampages suck in my local mud. How are they in that area?

Edit: Nevermind. Search turned up a wet Socal trail rating from a couple years ago

#9 ·
Lucas, thanks to you and the entire crew for taking the time to show me around. You guys made me feel right at home. I hope I can return the favor up north sometime. Best ride ever, Fred

#11 · (Edited)
b5driver said:
Yep. I prefer "Are you drinkin' with me Jesus?". Great times. I remember going to see them at the Flash Cafe (now McGregor's I think) and Country Dick crowd surfing back to the bar to get shots of Jaeger.
I saw them play at that venue as well, what is now McGregor's. That was in like 1993 I believe. The first time I saw them play live was at a bar in Fort Collins Colorado [Fort Ram] back in 1986 and when I later saw them at the Flash Cafe [now McGregor's] I was talking to Country Dick at the bar. And he actually remembered meeting me years earlier in Colorado. What a great down to earth person and entertainer. I also saw them up in Kearney Mesa but I don't remember the name of the concert hall. Which is now no longer? I will always remember the way Country Dick Montana would lay down on stage and put a Tequila bottle between his boots and pour it non stop into his mouth. The dude was crazy and got the crowd pumped. They were a local San Diego band that played small venues but were known country wide. They did some advertising for Budweiser and their songs were used in some movies.
Here is some more trivia about what they have done.
[edit] Media occurrences of music
Happy Boy is played on popular Pittsburgh classic rock station WDVE every Friday around 3 PM to signal the end of the work week and the start of the weekend. The tradition started sometime in the 1980's shortly after the song first came out.
Happy Boy was played in the 2003 movie Dumb and Dumberer.
Riverside was played in the 1986 movie Rad.
Riverside was used in a 1986 Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) radio commercial. Montana also provided the voice over for the ad.
Hideaway is featured in the soundtrack to the 1989 film Major League.
Big Big Man was featured in The Garbage Pail Kids Movie

#14 ·
mealsonwheels said:
....but are you sure you should be posting vids of this trail on a public forum? I know you didn't mention where it's at, but I'm sure the trailbuilders wouldn't be stoked that you posted these here.

I'm not trying to be a punk...
LOLs.. the classic mtbr.whining b!tch b!tchout dislcaimer.. "I never do this, but..."

whatever dude. this site is a joke. it's always some San Diegan whining and B1tching about their missing d00shbag.

seriously. get over it. vids. of a trail. .. why all that other BS? are you a San Diegan? did you lose your d00shbag and you just feel like whining and complaining on the internet? do you even know what a heinous whiner you sound like?

this place SUCKS. 99% whiners.

#15 ·
mealsonwheels said:
Great vids, but are you sure you should be posting vids of this trail on a public forum? I know you didn't mention where it's at, but I'm sure the trailbuilders wouldn't be stoked that you posted these here.

I'm not trying to be a punk...
i can not even begin to start on how much of a god damn dumb a$$ you all are on this PHUCKING SO-CAL forum. b!tcha$$noD!ckonwheels you are a focking retard. n!gga please,,,,,,who built this trail? do you know? you should of been a BJ then this thread could of went somewhere cool,,,,,but no "mr. should of never been born" had to pipe in. WTF i hope and pray you all have kids with no arms and legs so they can never ride a mountain bike.

listen to me,,,,,,,,,,,,, you are a PUNK,,,,,,B!TCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eat a d!ck...

#16 ·
Wow, you guys are among Pinkbike's best and brightest.

Now since you guys are real smart and I'm dumb allow me to reiterate. A friend of mine knows the trail builders and they have made it a point to keep pics and vids of this trail off the Internet. Certain features of this trail are easily distinguishable and as we've seen time and again publicity can lead to trail closure.

If you enjoy posting pics of DH trails that you have built please do so and include directions. As for posting pics of someone else's trail, please use some discretion.

Allow me to translate for beast and 420: These guys with shovels and hammers built these cool paths in the forest called "trails". These guys try to keep these trails secret. It's like how you don't tell your mom about the stash of weed under your bed. Now pretend that your bro smoked some of your stash and left a bud on the couch where your mom could find it. Would you be pissed at your bro?

#17 ·
*** on jerrys kid... GOD built the trail with the f^cking Forest Service. do you know this trail? there is NOTHING top secret about the trail. i hope you are a kernville local so you can tell your group about some cat named pigeye420 making fun of you and your gay a$$ forum,,,,,and if you are, i might know you and laugh RIGHT in your face... take this personally dummy.

#18 ·
mealsonwheels said:

... A friend of mine knows ...

... Certain features of this trail are easily distinguishable and as we've seen time and again publicity can lead to trail closure.

If you enjoy posting pics of DH trails that you have built please do so and include directions. As for posting pics of someone else's trail, please use some discretion.

Allow me to translate for beast and 420: These guys with shovels and hammers built these cool paths in the forest called "trails". These guys try to keep these trails secret. It's like how you don't tell your mom about the stash of weed under your bed. Now pretend that your bro smoked some of your stash and left a bud on the couch where your mom could find it. Would you be pissed at your bro?
dude.. i am hella stupified by your complete ignorance. i read what you write and actually feel dumber. i'm.. i am on the fence as to whether you are an intentional troll or just a general run of the mill internet POS.

you really need to shut up. you sound ****ing stupid.

4 vids of a trail... that's what i posted. nothing more. and it kicked the diarhea factory in your head off and you just started blowing it out. why? why did you do that? why not just stfu or leave it with "cool vids"? you make no sense.

4 vids. that's what i posted. nothing more. yer just a heinous retarded dude.:rolleyes:

"Allow me to translate..." what is that? why .. how do you come up with that stuff?

"...please use some discretion"
uhhhhhhhhh.. what? why are you writing stuff? what is your problem? are you an actual tool or is this just trolling?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.