mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Lake Tahoe trails for an Intermediate Rider

I am planning a 6 day vacation to Lake Tahoe with my fiance. This is my second time riding their and I am looking for some good trails. I am an intermediate rider so 2 hour plus trails would be out of the question.

So can anyone recommend a good trail? It would also help if these recommendations would include some type of location info or directions.

thanks

mtbr dismember

Flume Trail

I consider myself between a beginner and intermediate and I ride 8 hours at Tahoe. I just go slower than others. The Flume Trail is practically a beginner trail and whole families and even fat non-bikers ride it. You could ride from Spooner Lake to the Flume, come down Tunnel Creek Rd. and take a shuttle back to Spooner Lake. Or do an out and back. There is a 4 mile fire road climb to reach the Flume but I've seen really out of shape non-bikers do it.

The Flume Trail is one of the most beautiful in the world and it is well worth the fire road climb. Maps, photos and videos on my site.
    See also: http://www.theflumetrail.com
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 06-04-2004 at 04:39 PM.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    You might also want to post this in the NorCal forum since last I checked Tahoe was north of SoCal. But, the Flume is a classic trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode Tahoe for 10 days in a row last summer and had a blast. I rode most days with a beginer/intermediate rider with me most days and she did pretty good on most stuff. The toughest thing to get used to was the elevation. I would agree with Weirwolf on the Flume trail suggestion. We did it as an out and back and the scenery was some of the best. Another easy trail we did to acclimatize was the Emmigrant trail near Donner Pass. It's a little drive from the NW side of the Lake and a fairly easy trail. We did a couple sections of the Tahoe Rim Trail that were a little tougher, but you can always walk the tough spots. Another option that we couldn't pass up was tha bike park at Northstar. I took my 7" squishy bike up there just for that day. They have a wide variety of trails there from dirt roads to nasty techy downhill stuff. And the best part is the lift ride up. I can make up some maps for you but it may take a day or two to put them together. The trails I've mentioned are all listed in the trail reviews section on this site. I've also got a guidebook on Tahoe riding if you want to borrow it for the trip. I'm planning another trip up there this summer. When are you going up?

MTB SOCAL

Tahoe rides

Quote Originally Posted by mugenakuma
    I am planning a 6 day vacation to Lake Tahoe with my fiance. This is my second time riding their and I am looking for some good trails. I am an intermediate rider so 2 hour plus trails would be out of the question.

So can anyone recommend a good trail? It would also help if these recommendations would include some type of location info or directions.

thanks
    Flume is scenic and very pretty, but not particularly challenging. Your fiancee would probably like it. Bring a camera.
    Mr. Toad's is much more fun, but may require you walk a few sections. Depending on your fiancee's riding ability, it may be too tough for her.
    If you make it out toward Downieville, I would take a shuttle and do the Downieville Downhill - it's a blast!