Old age and treachery.
    Mar 2004

Lake Morena course description?

I'm signing up for the Sagebrush Safari at Lake Morena, and I'd like to get out there over the next couple of weeks to pre-ride the course. I've got two questions:

1. Can anyone give me turn-by-turn course directions for the endurance loop, and do I need them to find my way around? I have the topo map from TeamBigBear.com, but I don't know if that is enough.
    2. Have things dried out enough to ride out there yet?

Thanks!

mtbr member

no directions here, sorry

This course is a roadies course. The start is pretty much flat road to gradual climbfor the first mile or so and then, SLAM uphill for maybe like two miles.

There could be some water on top. Hopefull the motorcycles will have taken care of most of the water/mud pits.
    I know, this wasn't even close to good answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel_two
    I'm signing up for the Sagebrush Safari at Lake Morena, and I'd like to get out there over the next couple of weeks to pre-ride the course. I've got two questions:

1. Can anyone give me turn-by-turn course directions for the endurance loop, and do I need them to find my way around? I have the topo map from TeamBigBear.com, but I don't know if that is enough.

Thanks!

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

moisture on the trails

Quote Originally Posted by weasel_two

Thanks!
    other than the mud is quite gooey out there, you don't need to worry about riding on the trails if they're muddy. the palce is an off highway vehicle park so you'll be sharing the trails with motorcycles, ATVs and 4x4s anyway. I'v enever had a problem out there due to all of us being on the trail simultaneously and you can ride there in the rain since you don't have to worry about trail damage.

the basic loop is to head up the pavement for what seems like forever. at the top (4 corners) veer to the left a bit and look for a ST on the right side of a parking area. This is the WRangler ST. take it all the way until it intersects with a fireroad. don't turn off of it at all. the ST parallels the FR for a bit so just stay on the ST all the way. at the FR, turn right. you'll go downhill for a stretch and then look for a right hand turn at the bottom of the gentle descent. turn right and start climbing. it'll turn into a hike for a while. stay on this trail until it joins another fireroad. turn right. descend for a bit and then start climbing. it'll eventually turn to pavement.

there's a lower parking area with a ST that parallels the pavement which you'll want to take. this is part of the expert loop. the ST climbs up the hill. after that, you're on your own though sicne I don't know the rest of the expert loop. I think they climb up bronco peak and descend down the Spur trail but I"M not sure. at any rate, at the top of the pavement/ST climb you'll be back at 4 corners. now, turn right and look immediately on your left for the Kernan trail. take this down to the main paved road. turn right and head back to the car.

it's very much a course that favors roadie fitness rather than bike handling skills. I've raced it once but prefer just to ride out there since there are much better ways to ride the area that avoid a lot of the pavement.

YR

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    To get my entry fee, the race would have to include the famous, to me, at least, Espinosa Trail climb.

Cruising down Kernan sure is fun, however.

Old age and treachery.
    Mar 2004

Thanks

Thanks, YR!

--W2--

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Espinosa to Spur

Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons
    To get my entry fee, the race would have to include the famous, to me, at least, Espinosa Trail climb.

Cruising down Kernan sure is fun, however.
    Muy Bueno..........

YR