Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Lake Hodges Missing Girl

On the news, signonsandiego - local girl gone missing. they think she was running on S Side Hodges

From email I got at home:

Hello all, Our beloved Chelsea went missing yesterday afternoon in Poway, CA. Attached is a recent photo of her and below is some basic information. Please forward this to everyone you know.
    Chelsea King
    Age 17
    5'5, 115 pounds
    Blond Hair, Blue eyes
    Senior at Poway High School
    Honor Student, straight A's
    Peer counseling
    Cross Country Runner
    Clean Up San Diego Volunteer
    Tutor to San Diego Youth
    Responsible, Conscientious, Loving, Intelligent, Cherished by all who know her
    Her car was located thurs late afternoon (2/25) in the Rancho Bernardo Community center parking lot. We believe she went running.
    If you have ANY Information at all, please contact the San Diego Police Department at (619) 531-2000 and PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO EVERYBODY YOU KNOW. HELP US FIND OUR CHELSEA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Hodges Missing Girl-chelsea-king-photo.jpg  

Stray Bullet
    Whoa I hope they find her okay!

mtbr member
    Good call putting this up. Mountainbikers cover a lot of trail. Here's hoping she turns up fine!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    heartbreaking, My kid was out of my sight for about 30 seconds yesterday and I almost started panicing. My heart rate must have hit 170. I can't imagine what this feels like to the parents. I hope she is ok.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

San Diego County
    I hope they find her and she is well. I have 2 daughters myself and can't imagine what her parents must be feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Really depressing, unfortunately probably not a good outcome. I don't know why these things have to happen.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac&Fries
    got the email too,

I sent it too all of my MTB contacts...and, there are many.

Hoping for a safe return
    any news?? hope they find her
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

master blaster
    got some flyers up at work to help. a group of girls came by today and asked to post them up. hope all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Horrible horrible horrible.... I feel horrible for the family.... I hope she is OK.. My thoughts are with her and her family. I can't imagine how they must feel right now..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Horrible horrible horrible.... I feel horrible for the family.... I hope she is OK.. My thoughts are with her and her family. I can't imagine how they must feel right now..
    I couldn't even imagine the pain they must be feeling. Please, i hope she is found safe and soon.
    nothing witty here...

MTB skillz = NADA
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

Are you treadstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    Figures...a registered sex offender.
    Last edited by sponger; 03-01-2010 at 12:19 AM.

mtbr member
    They arrested the guy at Hernandez Hideaway. Apparently they found a very personal article of clothing she was wearing with his DNA on it.

San Diego County
    He should be executed as soon as they find her. I flashed back to a couple years ago when we searched the Sweetwater/Bonita area for a missing teen. Same situation and unfortunately she was found deceased.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    He should be executed as soon as they find her. .
    +1...Fry!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    +1...Fry!
    No, no, no, better yet stick a 12ga loaded w/ buckshot up his anus and pull the trigger. If he survives, he's granted a second chance... albeit w/ major problems !

Glad to Be Alive
    horrible....very sad
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Great, our elected officials let this guy out of jail after being accused of a previous molestation conviction, & arnies solution to the states bankruptcy is to give more criminals an early out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As of now the San Dieguito River Park trails to the west of I15 are closed until further notice. These include the North Shore trail to Hernadez Hideaway and the Bernardo Bay/Piedras Pintadas area to the south. The trails to the east, Mule Hill/ San Pasqual Vly trail and the Highland Vly trail are open.

Please respect the closures. Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    Great, our elected officials let this guy out of jail after being accused of a previous molestation conviction....
    I heard a radio broadcast detailing scumbag's prior molestation conviction. The young girl victim (in the early case) was so traumatized that she refused to testify against him-- that's why scumbag got a 6 yr sentence instead of the 30 years recommended by the court-appointed psychiatrist. Then he got out a little early for "good behavior".
    Bionically Modified

Stray Bullet
    Child molesters and rapists should be executed, end of story.

ISO Gems...
    Thoughts and prayers out to her family - I would be going bananas if that were my little guy. Seems bleak right now and we can almost see the writing on the wall, since it's a replay of what seems to be happening far too often. I hope there is a happy ending...

+1 on the above comment - it otta be GAME OVER for chesters the first time around, no second chances - call me cruel or whatever - don't really give a crap.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Child molesters and rapists should be executed, end of story.
    I agree, or put them in prison for a taste of their own medicine.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    It wasn't me

MTB skillz = NADA
    This is stupid. There is no way that bast*&^ should have been out on the streets.

I <3 Dirt
    What a horrific end for this poor girl and family. Sexual crimes against kids should be life in prison or death. Guys like this should not be out on the street and they should be mixed in with the general prison population rather than being placed in solitary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am at a loss for words - what a tragic tragic ending. It's dirtbags like this I give absolutely no leeway to.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I ride there about once a week. It will never be the same again. I will never understand. All I can say about the killer is that he needs to go through what she went through times ten. He needs to feel panic, fear, desperation and lots of pain. What disturbs me most is knowing that he thinks about what he did to that beautiful young girl and it brings a smile to his face. I am pretty sure I have seen that guy down there before near the trailhead. If only I had known they would be dragging his body out of the lake. I bet that piece of sh!t had something to do with Amber Dubois disappearance.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Glad to Be Alive
    what is
    sad in prison if you do a crime against a child the prison population will kill/hurt him very bad....but these guys get solitary confinement. If it is a clear cut case, then the death sentence period

mtbr member

Just Thinking . . .

Whatever happened to that noose they found in the library at UC San Diego?

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I ride there about once a week. It will never be the same again. I will never understand.
    im in the same boat. im actually a little freaked out knowing that this kinda thing would even take place in such a place.
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Rollin 29s
    My Dad was out with a search party this afternoon at Hodges when the news came across that a body had been found near the lake below the waterfall area.

It is the most disgusting thing in the world to hear that some scumbag who doesn't deserve to waste oxygen has taken away a young life full of promise and opportunty. I hope the prosecutors who refused to listen to the advice of the psychologist and gave this guy a light sentence toss and turn in their sleep for a couple weeks.

I also hope that this case spurs some TOUGH policies on sex offenders. Real prison time and REAL death penalty for first time offenders accused of raping or killing children.

Terrible, just terrible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Very sad.

I hope that guy rots in hell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mandatory Castration for all sex offenders!

So sad, I have 21 month twins, and if something like that happened to my little boy or girl I would go Bananas!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    If it is a clear cut case, then the death sentence period
    With the added stipulation that DNA evidence will result in a change in process: "Definitely No Appeals." I only hope they resolve the Amber Dubois case before they pump this piece of garbage full of sleep sauce.

Rejoicing always!
    I too feel sick at what happened to Chelsea. I have really felt compelled to do something. I went for a lunch run with a buddy, and we went to pray at the site. The Search and Rescue team was out there when we arrived. We had an opportunity to talk to Don Parker, the head of Search and Rescue down here in San Diego. He encouraged us to join. Considering many of us can ride a fair distance quickly, and many of us have lights, I think that we have an opportunity to serve and assist these folks.

Check out this site. This is how you can join SAR, and I recommend at least looking into it.

That said, I'm also interested in doing something to prevent a Search from ever becoming necessary. I asked the head of SAR the best way to do that. Here's the plan:

* Carry a cell phone whenever you ride. I will look into gathering the numbers of those folks we should contact in case we see something suspect. I'm thinking rangers, SAR, police, whatever.
    * Also, I'm trying to look into how we can identify ourselves as folks who are on the lookout for suspicious activity. If nothing else, talk to folks as you ride by them, making sure everything is okay.
    * My hope is that, if the general sense becomes that there are folks with their eyes open all over the place, then it's best to stay out of trouble. Basically, establish a presence.

So, instead of simply seething, let's make sure there is never another Chelsea King story.

mnoutain bkie rdier

House he was staying at?

Was he allowed to be staying at the parent's house next to Hodges? I was under the impression that he was not even allowed in that area??

If so, should the parents be held a bit responsible here??

Apparently someone already painted on their garage door....something to the effect of "Chelsea's blood is on you.." I think they are out of town.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 03-03-2010 at 04:58 PM.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65
    I also hope that this case spurs some TOUGH policies on sex offenders. Real prison time and REAL death penalty for first time offenders accused of raping or killing children.

This whole ordeal is beyond sickening. I have a 16 year old daughter who runs cross-country for another high school in Poway Unified and runs trails surrounding her school. I can barely imagine what the Kings are suffering through right now.

Unfortunately, we live in California, which has some of the most lenient laws for sex offenders. There are thousands and thousands of registered sex offenders in this state. How many of them actually live where they are registered? Even when they do, the system blows. Think Jaycee Lee Dugard, who was living in the backyard of her kidnapper for 18 years--all the while he was a registered sex offender who had violently raped women in the past. It was bad enough he was free to begin with. The fact that parole officers summarily skimmed the file and moved on for 18 years is inexcusable, to say the least.

Same for the scumbag arrested in Chelsea's case. He should have been serving the maximum sentence for his conviction in 2000. If he had, Chelsea would be alive right now...and perhaps Amber Dubois as well. Why was he roaming our neighborhoods, our trails?

Bottom line. The system is broken and will not protect you. It does not and will not protect our children. Don't let your kids ever go out alone. Carry a sharp knife (or more) when you're out on the trails. Demand stricter laws for sex offenders from the idiot politicians in Sacramento.
    If not biking, then what?

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    If so, should the parents be held a bit responsible here??

Apparently someone already painted on their garage door....something to the effect of "Chelsea's blood is on you.." I think they are out of town.
    I can't say I disagree with anything that has been stated here but since this is America.......

Who's to blame? Him or the system? he was convicted and did his time. he was released under strong objections from a Psychiatrist stating he was not cured and would do this again. He couldn't get a stronger sentence under current laws as his earlier offense was his first and the victim's family didn't want her to testify.

as I said, he did do the time teh state told him to do as punishment. After a criminal does the time that the state tells him to do, what then? Technically speaking, he's allowed to be back in society. Granted, there are other stipulations on certain offenders but per the law, he can be out on our streets.

As far as holding his parents responsible. Unless they actually knew of something and withheld it, how can we? are they possibly not victims in this case as well? is vandalizing their house effective at solving anything? yes, they raised him but sociopaths have come from very normal homes before. He had to live somewhere so the parents allowed him to stay with them. Unless he was physically barred from staying there for other reasons (proximity to parks, schools, etc.) then he did have the legal right to stay there.

I'm certainly not defending him. He's a monster and should be treated as such. he probably should have been treated as such before he was able to attack the woman in December, before he was able to attack Chelsea, and possibly before he was able to attack Amber or anybody else we may not know about yet. But.........Unfortunately for us, technically speaking he did everything the state required him to do as punishment for his one previous crime.

Could the state have done anything differently? His offense warranted a much longer sentence (16 years I believe?) But, if the victim didn't want to testify what case did they have? The prosecutor pled down to get something rather than risk getting nothing without a witness testifying. Would we have been better if he went to trial and was acquitted?

I wouldn't want him living in my neighborhood either but it's kind of hard to reconcile with these things when the state says he's been appropriately punished in a court of law, served his time, and is now "free".

Maybe we just need to send all of our criminals to Australia and leave them there. Oh wait, that's already been done.

YR

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I believe he was staying at his parents home (near Hodges, illegally due to its close proximity to a school) while using his grandmothers address (Lake Elsinore, 70 miles away) as a primary address.

Sickening. Even the drive past Hodges will never be the same.

Stop the madness.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    I can't say I disagree with anything that has been stated here but since this is America.......

Who's to blame? Him or the system? he was convicted and did his time. he was released under strong objections from a Psychiatrist stating he was not cured and would do this again. He couldn't get a stronger sentence under current laws as his earlier offense was his first and the victim's family didn't want her to testify.

as I said, he did do the time teh state told him to do as punishment. After a criminal does the time that the state tells him to do, what then? Technically speaking, he's allowed to be back in society. Granted, there are other stipulations on certain offenders but per the law, he can be out on our streets.

As far as holding his parents responsible. Unless they actually knew of something and withheld it, how can we? are they possibly not victims in this case as well? is vandalizing their house effective at solving anything? yes, they raised him but sociopaths have come from very normal homes before. He had to live somewhere so the parents allowed him to stay with them. Unless he was physically barred from staying there for other reasons (proximity to parks, schools, etc.) then he did have the legal right to stay there.

I'm certainly not defending him. He's a monster and should be treated as such. he probably should have been treated as such before he was able to attack the woman in December, before he was able to attack Chelsea, and possibly before he was able to attack Amber or anybody else we may not know about yet. But.........Unfortunately for us, technically speaking he did everything the state required him to do as punishment for his one previous crime.

Could the state have done anything differently? His offense warranted a much longer sentence (16 years I believe?) But, if the victim didn't want to testify what case did they have? The prosecutor pled down to get something rather than risk getting nothing without a witness testifying. Would we have been better if he went to trial and was acquitted?

I wouldn't want him living in my neighborhood either but it's kind of hard to reconcile with these things when the state says he's been appropriately punished in a court of law, served his time, and is now "free".

Maybe we just need to send all of our criminals to Australia and leave them there. Oh wait, that's already been done.

YR
    Yeti, you prove my point. The state FAILED. The sentence should have been longer. He was not living at the residence where he was registered. I dare say no one in the "system" knew where he was.

On top of that, he did not even serve the full (and inadequate) 6 years to which he was sentenced. He got out in 5. Had he been given the max of 10 years and 10 months, Chelsea would be alive (assuming he's the perp). I have no information the prior victim would not testify, but rather, the DA wanted to shield her from having to do so.

In any event, the system failed. This piece of crap should not have been out of the system in which he was already convicted. This is not a case of a first offender randomly striking.

Plus, his parents absolutely share some blame if (as it appears) they allowed him to stay at their local place where he was NOT registered to live. Shame on them. He should have been reported for violating the terms of his registered status.

Arm yourselves and protect your kids. The "system" does not protect.

master blaster
    does anyone know if the trails are re opened for riding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    does anyone know if the trails are re opened for riding?
    I am sure we can all find another place to ride until they open up the trails again.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    I am sure we can all find another place to ride until they open up the trails again.
    indeed, although im still curious.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Arm yourselves and protect your kids. The "system" does not protect.
    I agree with the first part of your statement but I fail to see how the victim's parents could have prevented this tragedy by owning a gun. When was the last time a child abduction could have been prevented by owning a gun?

Pedophiles and rapists are simply not fit to be part of society. They should serve at the very minimum 25 year sentences to protect the public. Unfortunately the death sentence would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    I agree with the first part of your statement but I fail to see how the victim's parents could have prevented this tragedy by owning a gun.
    One can "ARM" themselves in many ways. You can arm yourself with knowledge, by being alert, using good judgment. Besides, nothing wrong with well armed citizens. It gives bad guys something to fear. Besides, nothing wrong with capital punishment either. It would also provide something for bad guys to fear if it weren't for whiny-ass people that won't enforce the laws society already has. Why would we want to feed this monster forever once he is convicted?
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Nagaredama, I generally meant everyone should be armed and ready to protect themselves. If I were a woman, I would never be on a trail alone without a sharp blade or something similar to use in case the need arises. It's a crying shame that is the state of things, but it is. With that said, Chelsea had the right to run on a close-to-neighborhood trail without being raped and killed by a monster that should have been in prison.

This is all so ugly. Even if the scumbag gets the death penalty, it is a joke. I will probably die of old age before he gets executed in this state.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    One can "ARM" themselves in many ways. You can arm yourself with knowledge, by being alert, using good judgment. Besides, nothing wrong with well armed citizens. It gives bad guys something to fear. Besides, nothing wrong with capital punishment either. It would also provide something for bad guys to fear if it weren't for whiny-ass people that won't enforce the laws society already has. Why would we want to feed this monster forever once he is convicted?
    Thank you, well said.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider

YR

He was staying at the parents' house ILLEGALLY. He was not "free" to be in that area and the parents, unless totally senile, were well aware of this fact. I believe that "yes" the parents (parent?) were breaking the law. Their selfish behavior lead to another innocent child's death. They kept this "rabid pit bull" off the leash and willingly allowed it to roam the neighborhood where children play and reside. Yes, they should be held responsible too. Where is the accountability anymore??

I DO agree with you that the STATE/SYSTEM also failed us.... Sad and angering from so many angles. This could have been prevented. That is what makes this so tragic. While earthquakes are extremely tragic too, we can not prevent those..... this, on the other hand, was a neglected issue that cost a girl her life...
    Last edited by rydbyk; 03-04-2010 at 09:59 AM.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    He was staying at the parents house ILLEGALLY. He was not "free" to be in that area and the parents knew it! I believe that "yes" the parents (parent?) were withholding something and breaking the law. They kept a "rabid pit bull" off the leash and willingly allowed it to roam the neighborhood. Yes, they should be held responsible too. Where is the accountability anymore?? Just my opinion.

I agree with you that the STATE also failed us.... Sad and angering from many angles. This could have been prevented. That is what makes it so tragic. While earthquakes are extremely tragic too, we can not prevent those..... this on the other hand was a neglected issue that cost a girl her life...

Agree completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast