mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Lake Hodes trails / Lake Calavera

Anyone ride these trials lately ? I have been riding hodges as an alternative to PQ Canyon to try something different - been wanting to try Calavera - any insight to any of it ...hodges seems to be pretty mellow during the week but maybe Im just missing the masses that go on the weekends

mtbr member
    Check out dirttreaders.com
    PM sent
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    calavera is great fun, but not worth the long drive unless you have someone to show you around. hodges is pretty mild. elfin forest is pretty fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Calaveras is way better than Hodges...you definitely need a local to show you the best stuff.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by runningchicken View Post
    Calaveras is way better than Hodges...you definitely need a local to show you the best stuff.
    Don't need know damned local..self-exploration is the best. It's not like the Mojave out there...nobody is going to get lost at Calavera, unless they're a maroon!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Isn't there a race coming up sometime early September on that lake? Can't find the info on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Kim going to have to check it out ive explored about all of hodges at this point...i tried gold miners loops last night on black mountian and I felt like I was climbing more than anything but I may not have gone the right way

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Don't need know damned local..self-exploration is the best. It's not like the Mojave out there...nobody is going to get lost at Calavera, unless they're a maroon!
    Ditto to this. Just know that the best riding is South of the lake, there is more than one way to get down there. Just check Strava or google earth.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by daygoVR6 View Post
    Kim going to have to check it out ive explored about all of hodges at this point...i tried gold miners loops last night on black mountian and I felt like I was climbing more than anything but I may not have gone the right way
    Nope, that's just Miners! If you want someone to show you around Black Mountain a bit more shoot me a PM. I ride there a couple times a week and would be happy to give you a tour. Definitely a place where you earn the downhills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have you tried Daley Ranch? It's not as far as Calavera for you. Daley has alot of fire roads but the fast singletracks there, while sketchy in places, are the best in North County *in my opinion*.

That being said, Calavera may be worth the drive to check it out. Anytime I take somebody there for the 1st time, they can't believe how much they like it. Plus, you can make a day out of it by going over into Carlsbad and getting lunch at Pizza Port.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Isn't there a race coming up sometime early September on that lake? Can't find the info on it.
    2013 Freedom 50 and Never Forget 100 @ Garmin Connect

This is a great route for a longer ride (if that's your thing), can almost make a 35 miler from Sunset to Black Mountain Ranch Park.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2