Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    181

    Laguna Wilderness Park

    In Laguna Wilderness Park there is a trail called "Bomber" ( I think that's the name ) and I was wondering how you legally ride back into the park once you reach the bottom near the back side of Emerald Bay? Any suggestion other than climbing "Bomber"?

    Regards,
    AC

  2. #2
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,694
    There is a Boomer Ridge but that is not in Emerald Canyon.

    Legally in Emerald Canyon you have the fireroad down the bottom of the canyon and Trail 13 (Old Emerald). After I drop down OE I like to take a left (twards the ocean) and do an out and back to the back gate at Emerald Bay before climbing back out. EC after trail 13 is not a fireroad anymore and is an overgrown singletract in most places. Not much use on that section...is close to being to overgrown to ride.

  3. #3
    Jus' Ridin' Along
    Reputation: BobL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    269

    Actually, It's "Bommer"

    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    There is a Boomer Ridge but that is not in Emerald Canyon.

    Legally in Emerald Canyon you have the fireroad down the bottom of the canyon and Trail 13 (Old Emerald). After I drop down OE I like to take a left (twards the ocean) and do an out and back to the back gate at Emerald Bay before climbing back out. EC after trail 13 is not a fireroad anymore and is an overgrown singletract in most places. Not much use on that section...is close to being to overgrown to ride.
    Bommer Ridge is named after Bommer Canyon (next to Shady Canyon) and the trail/FR that has the name traverses the ridge and ties in most of the major climbs/descents in the park.
    If you go down Emerald Canyon, the only legal ways back are the way you came, or up Erection (aka Old Emerald/#13) or BVD (may not be open now due to herbicide operations)
    Climbing either singletrack is do-able and fun, but Erection is the easier of the 2

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    There is a Boomer Ridge but that is not in Emerald Canyon.

    Legally in Emerald Canyon you have the fireroad down the bottom of the canyon and Trail 13 (Old Emerald). After I drop down OE I like to take a left (twards the ocean) and do an out and back to the back gate at Emerald Bay before climbing back out. EC after trail 13 is not a fireroad anymore and is an overgrown singletract in most places. Not much use on that section...is close to being to overgrown to ride.
    Yeah, that's it, single track down to the fence. Nice stuff... From the top, the last signage I remember seeing was a post that I thought said "Bomber", but could be wrong.. This is the trail that started at the main fire road and turned into single track all the way down to pool and tennis court area at Emerald Canyon.

    That is some fun single track! It was almost dark when I got to the bottom and I was parked at El Moro, so I cut through the housing area to PCH because I didn't want to be in the park after dark. The hike up past the fence was a bugger! Next time I will make sure to have time for the climb out..

    Regards,
    AC

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    276

    Bvd

    BVD should be open sometime in January.
    I haven't been down T&A in a long time. How's it holding up? Last year we were going to work on the trail that runs between the bottom of T&A and the main parking lot so that riders would use it instead of hopping out onto the highway. Unfortunately, every time we scheduled the work, it rained out.

    BTW Bob, the guy who accosted you on SJT (Josh) works with me. He was spouting off about you and I told him to go educate himself about trail maintenance concepts.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony_coley
    ...This is the trail that started at the main fire road and turned into single track all the way down to pool and tennis court area at Emerald Canyon.

    ...so I cut through the housing area to PCH because I didn't want to be in the park after dark. The hike up past the fence was a bugger! Next time I will make sure to have time for the climb out..

    Regards,
    AC
    AC, can you enter the Emerald Bay gated community at the bottom of Emerald Canyon? In other words, did you get to PCH by riding through the private community of Emerald Bay and then exit onto PCH through the guard gate? Or, something else?

    Joe.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by jandras
    AC, can you enter the Emerald Bay gated community at the bottom of Emerald Canyon? In other words, did you get to PCH by riding through the private community of Emerald Bay and then exit onto PCH through the guard gate? Or, something else?

    Joe.
    You can, but it's illegal and it's not an easy task to get into the Emerald Bay community. I've only done it once because by the time I made to the bottom of the canyon it was dark and had no lights, so I had to figure a way out.

    There's a fence at the bottom that goes up both sides of the canyon about 200 or so feet and it was a real ***** climbing out and around that fence.
    -- yes, I rode past the guard gate onto PCH

    I will not do it again. It's not worth the trouble..
    The ride back up into LWP is not hard, just need some day light...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xshim_myx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    32
    hold up...let me get this straight...there's a freeride trail close to bommer canyon? and i didn't know this how?!?!?!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •