Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

the lady on the white horse (if you ran into her you know what im talking about)

83K views 468 replies 101 participants last post by  DIRTJUNKIE 
#1 ·
Possibly the most miserable person in the world?

makes no difference what I do, every time I get a mouthful from her. She has threatened me with cops, used the horse to try block my path (in a confrontational face off type setup), etc etc etc

I also always tell her horse just left 30 lbs of sh1t back there, can she go pick it up.

#393 ·
Wow Salt, that is Craaaaaazy.

Feels like we have been waiting forever to see the evidence. I am with you, if the DA did not think they would be very successful in prosecuting her it was probably not worth your time to push it. Just keep a camera on you at all times and go about life, if you come across her again you know what to suspect, and if she gets crazy like that again you WILL have a case.

The whole Hippa thing does sound like a cop-out though. mentally unstable people do not get a free pass to be dangerous to others, they can still be prosecuted. Perhaps she needs medication.

Might be a good idea to find out where she "rents" the horses from in case you ever need to file a civil case.

#408 ·
Hey all, I'm new here, I came on to get some info on a new bike but had to comment on this thread after reading the whole crazy thing. I grew up on a small new england farm around horses and I'm not sure how many people know but a kick from a horse can most definitely be deadly and easily break bones.

If anyone encounters this woman, do whatever you can to stay away from the back of the horse. So far people have been lucky but at some point this horse will kick and seriously hurt someone if she keeps up her antics.

Another thing to consider, if she charges you face on, is to put your arms out to your sides and look as large as possible. As mentioned earlier, horses in the wild are prey animals with poor vision which contributes to their natural skittish behavior. A larger more imposing object will usually make a horse turn away or stop (if that happens, hopefully she will go head first into the ground over the horses head). We used to use this technique when the horses would get loose. That being said, I've never had to try this when a horse was being ridden at me so I take no responsibility for the results and you should have a backup plan should the horse keep coming. Maybe Mountain Cycle Shawn can share his thoughts on this.

Another thing to consider, doing anything to spook or injure the horse, like air horns, whistles a cattle prod is just plain dangerous not only to the person on the horse but to any innocent bystander who may be down the trail. This ***** should be in a padded cell, but let's give other people the same courtesy we expect from them and deal with it like that guy in the first video.

I also want to say there are a lot of good horse people who are just like us and aren't rich a holes. Some of them make 40k a year and got their horse from a track or aspca rescue program and keep them in cheap do it yourself barns. Like any other group, they get a bad rap by the few a holes who drown out the good ones and didn't learn to share in kindergarten.

I'll step off my soapbox now. Stay safe out there(there's psychos in them there hills)

#409 ·
I also want to say there are a lot of good horse people who are just like us and aren't rich a holes. Some of them make 40k a year and got their horse from a track or aspca rescue program and keep them in cheap do it yourself barns. Like any other group, they get a bad rap by the few a holes who drown out the good ones and didn't learn to share in kindergarten.
1. Welcome.
2. We need to be reminded of this from time to time.

#14 ·
There is a gal riding a horse on the connector trail from Altadena drive to the asphalt road leading to the ken burton fire road, El prato at night who caught me off guard. My son and I were descending down the poop laden trail for an evening ride when suddenly I heard someone yelling, "Say hello to my horse".

It was pitch black, and she was climbing up the trail to Altadena drive. I wish her horse had a reflective vest of some sort or how about reflective clothing for the owner.

I had to vent.

#16 ·
That blows. Just like any sport, there are bad participants. I ride after work in a City park a few miles from my house and it gets a lot of equestrian use. I slow, ask if they want me to stop or if their horses are okay with bikes. That usually does the trick. Last thing I want on a ride is to get kicked by a horse.

The hardest part for me is when they are riding in the same direction and refuse to let me pass - very rarely happens, but when it does I find it really disrespectful. Next Spring when the park does initiation for new trail patrol personnel, I'm going to volunteer and ask what the proper protocol is in that case. I know we are supposed yield to horses, but there has to be some give in that case.

#17 ·
So far all of the horse people have seemed real nice. Ive only come across 1 group going the same direction and before I could finish my thought of "hmm how do i pass nicely" they moved over for me. What I find kinda funny are the people who literally jump off the trail into bushes as if i was a speeding train, when Im only doing 5 mph and warn them with my squeaky brakes 100ft away.

#31 ·
I don't get it. Are horses always such nervous creatures or have they not been trained to be used to bikes?

The horses in see literally go crazy when I ride anywhere near them.

However horses have been in used in wars and gunfights and such? So they can't all be that nervous

#32 ·
I don't get it. Are horses always such nervous creatures or have they not been trained to be used to bikes?

The horses in see literally go crazy when I ride anywhere near them.

However horses have been in used in wars and gunfights and such? So they can't all be that nervous
I train horses, part time for a living. Horses can be trained to be calm around just about anything. The problem is most people, like 95%, don't know how to train a horse properly or have an older horse that wasn't trained properly or was abused. And to train a horse properly from start to finish, takes a lot of time, which most people don't have. But, bottom line, if a person has a horse out in public that is acting up, the only one to blam is the owner. But when training a horse, you also have to push the envelope to get anywhere. We are lucky, in that we don't have to train the bikes that we ride.

#33 ·
This is a generalization!
Horses are naturally nervous as they are prey animals. You can train it out of most of them.
Horses will also sense their rider's nervousness and react to it.
An inexperienced rider on a horse not used to mountain bikes can have a tough time controling their horse.
Edit: I was typing while Shawn posted.

#44 ·
http://http://www.pinkbike.com/video/281816/

Here is a video of this psychotic lady. Cross post on pinkbike about her. My wife had the pleasure of experiencing her today in the Sullivan Ridge area.
Gotta fix your link . . .

I've not seen this woman before, though I HAVE seen her horse and am pretty sure I know where she lives . . . what was her complaint? I couldn't hear what she said in the very beginning, only that you could "go to jail" . . . :skep:

#73 ·
MAD PROPS to the rider filming that one, how on earth did he remain so calm and respectful?

That Lady seems to have some serious issues to yell at someone who slowed down and stopped for her on the horse and basically obeyed the rules of a multiuse trail.

I don't think I have ever run across such rude behavior in all my riding days.

Is that last section of trail considered Multi-use? Because from what I could see on the video that trail was way to narrow to be safe on a horse with or without having to share it with hikers and bikers..... :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.