Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I can't believe I'm going to say this (and it pains me to do so) . . . but I agree with MCS. This thread is not the place to debate trail access issues. This thread is about a lunatic on a horse.
    Come on man, I'm not that bad of a guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Was out there yesterday. Only people at the bottom of squirrel cage was a family of three and a dog. The youngest one asked me, "How was the 'cage?" I said, "Loose and scary as usual!"

...and we were on our way. I wish people could just chill.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    Again, I feel it is not right (or even legal?) to post much, but I will say I've met with the City Attorneys office mid August. Since that meeting I've been told that "the horse lady" and her "attorney" will be present at a hearing with the City Attorney, but that a date has not been scheduled.

The wheels of justice sure do turn slowly, its now coming up on 2 months since the incident.
    I'm pretty sure this thread will go "back on track" once the still pictures, the video, the police report, (and whatever I'm allowed to share from my meeting with the city attorney) and the final outcome is shared. Right now this is still an active case being investigated.

rev106, I think you will realize that this issue was more than just some pissed runner / hiker / horse back rider, etc. once you are able to learn the full story.

I promise all will be shared.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    OK, I get your points, guys. I have a tendency to conflate one thing with another. Not quite paranoia, but close......
    Well, there's nothing wrong with being vigilant! Take a trip to Marin or San Mateo counties (or Del Mar or Auburn or the Sierras, etc.) sometime. Even though there's some fun riding around, elitist horse folks and hikers have banned cyclists from many trails and parks. Crazy equines also tend to be rich, well-connected people that will rally their cronies at public meetings. I hope this particular one gets smited hard! Thanks, El Salt, for keeping us updated.

VV Like it or not: It's ALL connected, Shawn! It's a chess game, but most mtbers are still playing checkers. Had the roles been reversed, you can bet that the equines would have been howling for trails to be closed to mountain bikes.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 09-02-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes". Just say eff no.

mtbr member
    ^ It's already been pointed out, at least once, that this is not the topic of this thread. The topic here is one crazy vitch that is going overboard.

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    lol nice little jingle.
    Set to guitar, xylophone, or kazoo?

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post

Bongos would do. "Beatnik" bongos that is....

banned
    Jan 2013
    You need to post your evidence right now. It is obvious the pigs have no intention of doing anything about this. Post all your crazy photos and videos up in the hope they will go viral forcing the police to do something about it. You have to hold the cops accountable just like crazy horse lady.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    You need to post your evidence right now. It is obvious the pigs have no intention of doing anything about this. Post all your crazy photos and videos up in the hope they will go viral forcing the police to do something about it. You have to hold the cops accountable just like crazy horse lady.
    That might work, but on the other hand, it might backfire. Cops are always looking for an excuse to not do any work. The accountability thing is to cops like garlic to a vampire.

Yes, that's fonetic
    ............ It is obvious the pigs have no intention of doing anything about this.............
    The 70's called, they want their euphemism back.

banned
    Jan 2013
    they already aren't taking action, what could it hurt? There would have been a warrant for her arrest issued within 48 hours had they done the least bit of follow up. Make them look ineffective in public and you'll get some attention on the issue.

banned
    Sep 2010
    they already aren't taking action, what could it hurt? There would have been a warrant for her arrest issued within 48 hours had they done the least bit of follow up. Make them look ineffective in public and you'll get some attention on the issue.
    I guess you haven't heard of the cops + retribution, eh? Oh yeah.... they exist to "Protect and Serve". Ah, what a virtual Utopia...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post
    I had an accordion in mind, but a kazoo could work
    buzzes like a fridge

Team Fearless Descender
    Well (deep breath), it seems we all may be dead by the time anything comes of this. The wheels of justice really do turn slowly. Me, being the fine upstanding citizen that I am, have never had any real interaction with the police or court system, so all of this is new to me.

Again, the PD / Detectives, the City Attorney, and I assume the "Horse Ladies" attorney, have the link to this URL / forum, so I won't say too much.

Nearly four weeks ago (August 27, 2013), I spoke with the City Attorneys office via telephone, this 2 weeks after meeting with them at the LAX Court House, for an update. At that time I was told that the "accused" and her attorney would be meeting with the City Attorney at a hearing, but that it had not yet been scheduled.

Today, now four weeks later I called to see if there was any update. I was told that they [City Attorneys office] were still waiting to meet with the accused and her attorney. I asked if there was any time frame, any "statute of limitations" on this. I was told they [her attorney] have up to ONE YEAR to schedule and attend this meeting. And, that I would be informed of the outcome sometime after that meeting.

So, once again, being the "good guy" and not wanting to screw anything up, I feel I can't post real names, any of the official documents I have, or any of the photographs or video. Though trust me I will, regardless of the final outcome.

Keep this in mind, if you see the "Horse Lady", no punishment or restrictions have been placed on her. Right now, as ___________ as she is, she can legally travel any of the trails that are open to horses. I highly suggest carrying a camera of some sort when you ride in the SM's. The main reason this case has made it into the legal system is the photos and video, plus the witness reports made at the time of the indecent by other trail users that saw what happened.

Stuff

mtbr member
    I think the words you're looking for is phucked up! If there's video, pictures and witnesses, they'll wait out the year and end up pleading to a much lesser charge, unfortunately.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Well (deep breath), it seems we all may be dead by the time anything comes of this. The wheels of justice really do turn slowly. Me, being the fine upstanding citizen that I am, have never had any real interaction with the police or court system, so all of this is new to me.

Again, the PD / Detectives, the City Attorney, and I assume the "Horse Ladies" attorney, have the link to this URL / forum, so I won't say too much.

Nearly four weeks ago (August 27, 2013), I spoke with the City Attorneys office via telephone, this 2 weeks after meeting with them at the LAX Court House, for an update. At that time I was told that the "accused" and her attorney would be meeting with the City Attorney at a hearing, but that it had not yet been scheduled.

Today, now four weeks later I called to see if there was any update. I was told that they [City Attorneys office] were still waiting to meet with the accused and her attorney. I asked if there was any time frame, any "statute of limitations" on this. I was told they [her attorney] have up to ONE YEAR to schedule and attend this meeting. And, that I would be informed of the outcome sometime after that meeting.

So, once again, being the "good guy" and not wanting to screw anything up, I feel I can't post real names, any of the official documents I have, or any of the photographs or video. Though trust me I will, regardless of the final outcome.

Keep this in mind, if you see the "Horse Lady", no punishment or restrictions have been placed on her. Right now, as ___________ as she is, she can legally travel any of the trails that are open to horses. I highly suggest carrying a camera of some sort when you ride in the SM's. The main reason this case has made it into the legal system is the photos and video, plus the witness reports made at the time of the indecent by other trail users that saw what happened.
    More than likely, it's not only being the "good guy" to not post her name, pic, etc. but also the legally prudent thing to do. Since no trial or charges or anything have been made, she could sue you for doing that. Pretty screwed up, but that is how the legal system often inadvertently protects the predators in our society.

Gotta pay to play
    I'm interested to know why you think posting up your information (especially a video) will hurt this case. It seems to me that in our age of social networking and on-line media, evidence of crime or general douchbaggery posted on the internet gets more attention from citizens and media- pushing for quicker response from the government.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    I'm interested to know why you think posting up your information (especially a video) will hurt this case. It seems to me that in our age of social networking and on-line media, evidence of crime or general douchbaggery posted on the internet gets more attention from citizens and media- pushing for quicker response from the government.
    Exactly my point, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If no one makes a stink it will be quietly swept under the rug.

Give me the videos and I'll post them up, I dare her to sue me for it.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    More than likely, it's not only being the "good guy" to not post her name, pic, etc. but also the legally prudent thing to do. Since no trial or charges or anything have been made, she could sue you for doing that. Pretty screwed up, but that is how the legal system often inadvertently protects the predators in our society.
    Exactly what I am thinking, though I really don't know. I'm happy that at this point I myself do not need an attorney. Based on the evidence, the report of FIVE police officers (two patrol cars with two officers each and a Sargent in her own car) that were involved, the 5 (that I know of) adult witnesses outside of my own riding party, the investigation of the evidence by a Detective at LAPD WLA (that I met with), and my visit and meeting with an official at the LA City Attorneys office (LAX Court), THEY are looking to prosecute in some form this person for their actions upon me and others that day - July 4, 2013.

What does get me is that it would, or could take this long to get to the bottom of it. Google around a bit, you'll find that this "Horse Lady" is not only mentioned here on MTBR but elsewhere in public / social media.

Stuff

Team Fearless Descender
    Exactly my point, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If no one makes a stink it will be quietly swept under the rug.
    I hear ya (squeaky wheel! LOL), but I have too much time invested now. A trip to LAPD WLA Division, a trip to the LAX court house, phone calls to each, phone calls to the rangers in the SM patrol area, written documents, electronic and printed photographs, etc. So, because of this I DO plan to keep after this. I surely don't want anything I do to jeopardize the outcome, and be a waste my time and effort. And, beyond this I don't want, or have the means financially to retain a lawyer for myself.

Many of you know what she looks like. Some of you have had run-ins with her, and if you dig a little you can find images / video on the web of her.

Suffice it to say, the woman was using her (2) horses in an incredibly dangerous manor, intending them to kick with their hind legs a cyclist, dismounted her horse and kicked at a cyclist, ran other trail users (outside of my group) off the trail more than once using two horses, and then verbal threatened death in no uncertain words to a cyclist. All of this captured in photographs and or video. There are several other bits of "evidence" that I am privy to that I really can't divulge until this goes farther.

Stuff

b a n n e d
    Salt, I think you're doing the right thing. It may take time, but it sounds as though there is ample evidence against the individual in question that it can't be ignored.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sure takes a long azz time. Too bad for the b that El Salt has the "receipts", sounds like she is finally going to get a full reimbursement for all her actions

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Salt, I think you're doing the right thing. It may take time, but it sounds as though there is ample evidence against the individual in question that it can't be ignored.
    +100 Ditto.

Do what you think will be best for the case and will keep you as safe as possible from some sort of libel lawsuit.

We eagerly look forward to the outcome.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    lol funny when I started this thread I never expected it to go this way

I expected a few sympathetic f-that ***** type responses and then for the thread to vanish.

now it has a life of its own.

on the very plus side I have not seen her once since the "incident", and previous to that I musta run into her at least 20 times minimum

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    lol funny when I started this thread I never expected it to go this way

I expected a few sympathetic f-that ***** type responses and then for the thread to vanish.

now it has a life of its own.

on the very plus side I have not seen her once since the "incident", and previous to that I musta run into her at least 20 times minimum
    I'm sure her attorney has warned her to stay low till its all over.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    I think I've seen her once and I think it was shortly after this incident.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    I think I've seen her once and I think it was shortly after this incident.
    I did as well, and it was definitely within the month of July. Never saw her after that.

mtbr member
    Any pics of this lady? I ride santa monica a couple days a week and would like to know what this menace looks like in case we meet, been riding here for 10years and have never seen her.
    nothing witty here...

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    Any pics of this lady? I ride santa monica a couple days a week and would like to know what this menace looks like in case we meet, been riding here for 10years and have never seen her.
    View this: Jedi Plunge - Squirrel Cage Video - Pinkbike

Not my video, and not me in the video. The link is from earlier in this thread. Begin viewing at 6:20.

Stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was riding down sullivan canyon yesterday after noon and had just turned onto one of the the entrances to the single track that follows the canyon. I heard what I thought was a car or something but it was a lady on a white horse galloping full blast up the canyon. I was very lucky to have just cut onto the single track because if not, she could have run right over me and done some serious damage. Surly horse riders aren't meant to be galloping full blast around there, as there are loads of hikers and mtn bikers on that trail???

I spoke to 2 other riders on the trail and asked if they saw her. They said, they were on the single track too, and that she saw them and shouted something at them.

mtbr member

Not my video, and not me in the video. The link is from earlier in this thread. Begin viewing at 6:20.

wow, thanks for the link. all i can say is with that attitude she's going to mess with the wrong person or kill/injure somebody.
    nothing witty here...

Beer Please! SuperModerator

I am still blown away by how calm and respectful that guy was to her..... major props again.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmtt View Post
    I was riding down sullivan canyon yesterday after noon and had just turned onto one of the the entrances to the single track that follows the canyon. I heard what I thought was a car or something but it was a lady on a white horse galloping full blast up the canyon. I was very lucky to have just cut onto the single track because if not, she could have run right over me and done some serious damage. Surly horse riders aren't meant to be galloping full blast around there, as there are loads of hikers and mtn bikers on that trail???

I spoke to 2 other riders on the trail and asked if they saw her. They said, they were on the single track too, and that she saw them and shouted something at them.
    Shouldn't you call the police. I would think all of this behavior needs to be documented. It's not likely that the police/DA will ever do anything but in the rare chance something is done I would think it would make their job easier. (Sorry for the typos, I'm on my phone.)

banned
    Sep 2010

So, she's STILL out there, running loose. Amazing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Keep at it, man. I had a similar incident where I was attacked by this homeowner while I was walking through the Hollywood Hills...the guy said I was on a private street, but it actually wasn't and he's been doing this to people for several years. Fortunately, I had some witnesses and amazingly found a YouTube video of the guy doing the same thing to someone else.

Even when I filed the report the police were trying to convince me not to do it. I filed a police report, followed up so so so so so many times with the police and the city attorney's office. I basically did all of the investigative work for them. After 4 months, I finally managed to get the City Attorney to tell me that they actually had my file, and it took several more months before he was even arraigned, and a few more months after that before the trial was set to start. Of course, he ended up pleading no contest and got his punishment. All in all, it took almost a year. I was extremely frustrated with the system, but really happy at the outcome in the end, So don't give up hope!

I think you're doing to the right thing by not disclosing names, etc., because the defense will use anything they can to discredit you. Just keep plugging along. Don't get frustrated by it and think of it as a job.

Also, I don't know if you've done this already, but try to get the name of the City Attorney that's working the case and/or his supervisor. I found that talking to them was the most useful thing.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    ...get the name of the City Attorney that's working the case and/or his supervisor. I found that talking to them was the most useful thing.
    Well, I'm not sure if the case has been assigned to an attorney per se, but I have met with, at their office and have had telephone conversations with a "Hearing Officer" at the City of Los Angeles LAX court house.

I agree with everything else you are saying, obviously.

Stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well, I'm not sure if the case has been assigned to an attorney per se, but I have met with, at their office and have had telephone conversations with a "Hearing Officer" at the City of Los Angeles LAX court house.

I agree with everything else you are saying, obviously.
    Sound like you might be heading down a different path than my case went down. I just saw this link, which provides some more info. about what a hearing officer does: City Attorney Hearing | Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners | Criminal Defense Attorney in Los Angeles, CA. Based on this site, it looks like the hearing is a way to potentially get around formal criminal prosecution, almost like a mediation or preliminary hearing. It does say that failure of the defendant to attend the case will lead to formal prosecution, so the one-year limit they told you about may be the time the lady has to agree to the hearing, not when the statute of limitations runs. Anyway, good luck!

b a n n e d

Assuming you are telling the truth, and I have no reason not to believe you, I'd encourage you to contact El Salt via PM and ask him for the contact information of one of the investigators assigned to this case, as EVERY incident at this point is very important to document. Alternatively, straight up calling the police would also achieve a similar effect, but perhaps not as prompt.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Assuming you are telling the truth, and I have no reason not to believe you, I'd encourage you to contact El Salt via PM and ask him for the contact information of one of the investigators assigned to this case, as EVERY incident at this point is very important to document. Alternatively, straight up calling the police would also achieve a similar effect, but perhaps not as prompt.
    + 1 on this, plus I also think LowLow's suggestion to consider this like a "job" is good.....just think of it as "Community Service"! It really IS a service that your'e doing, you know...

mtbr member
    This woman has all the hallmarks of being a direct descendant of the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of OZ. Throw water on her next time. Bet she melts.

banned
    Jan 2013
    And she will be until she is held accountable for her actions. Which she obviously will not be. Post the videos to social media, let it go "viral", and pressure the DA into doing something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm sure a civil suit will slow her down. It can only be a matter of time before someone goes after her.

climber
    Saw a worker putting up a sign for bikers not to go down the horse trail next to Queensferry. Should have stopped a taken a picture but wanted to keep on riding.

Sign said nothing about hikers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bummer. Been riding horse trail for 10 years. No-one is ever on it - you can't even ride horses on it as the tree canopy is too low in places...wonder why they suddenly want to close it to bikes and on whose authority.

climber
    It is a bummer. Very rarely do I see anyone else on that trail. Although every once in a while I hear distance voices yelling about hikers or some such nonsense.

Unlike the utility workers I have seen up at the Nike tower and gas company guys in the canyon, the worker had no official uniform or decals on the work truck that I could see. I'm guessing it was his truck since it was parked 5 feet from the gate at Queensferry. He looked like an average handy man with plain clothes and a hat.

The only official looking thing was the sign telling bikers not to do this and that. this and that.

Man, I should of asked who hired him to put up the sign.
    Dooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggghhh hhhhhhhh!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbbrad View Post
    and on whose authority.
    Given LA's rich history of entitled aholes putting up fake signs, I wouldn't be surprised if it was on no one's authority.
    buzzes like a fridge

b a n n e d
    The only thing I can think of in regard to horsetrail being closed is that it DOES deposit you onto a private road.

Either way, that sucks . . . that's a fun little section of trail.

climber
    Hope this isn't to far off topic from the main point of this thread.

So in my limited google search, I found this link

Have Fun and Enjoy the Canyons! | Brentwood Community Council

here is a paragraph from the link dated 11.29.2012

"
    2. Sullivan Canyon can be reached from the end of Old Ranch Road or from Queensferry Road. This property actually belongs to Southern California Gas Company, but they are very nice about allowing the neighbors to use it for recreational purposes. There is a small branch of the LA River system that runs through the canyon, so it feels like a different ecosystem—sort of east coast. The trees are typical riparian woodland and many are deciduous. It is very shaded and cool, even in the summer. If you keep your eyes open you might see the big swing in the clearing on your right.
    "

Can anyone confirm that So Cal gas owns this land also?

I don't recall seeing any signs that Old Ranch Rd is private.
    I do remember passing some white horses boarded on Old Ranch Rd.

And just to reiterate, the sign guy had no So Cal Gas emblems on him or his truck.

b a n n e d
    The land is definitely owned by the gas company, no question about that. And Old Ranch Road IS private. Signs are clearly posted as you enter off of Sunset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A private road just means the public is not responsible for maintaining it and that it doesn't have to meet the standards of a public way. It doesn't mean exclusivity. Public access is still allowed.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast