Just another FOCer

Good job! Lacey Wins at The Firestone Walker Classic

Story & photos by "Crash" Maxwell

This weekend Lacey and I traveled the 3 hours to the town of Buellton so she could race at the 7th annual Firestone Walker Classic.

We arrived early enough on Saturday to check into our hotel, and then go pre ride the 12-mile beginner’s loop.

The course was great, as it rolled trough the surrounding hills with some gradual, and some short steep climbs. The descents were all pretty straight away smooth and fast.

Everything was just a little damp from all of the recent rains, and it would get a little muddier with the drizzle on Saturday night.

On the morning of the race we rode around to get the blood moving in her legs. She cracks me up, because when I asked he if she was nervous, she said “no not really”. Excited? “Yeah, kind of”. Well, how do you feel? “I just want to go ride!”

When they finally started staging the Beginner Women, they had them broken up into age groups. But to our surprise, they started ALL of them, all ages, TOGETHER!

I’ve always reminded Lacey what Monique had told her once about not getting caught up in the going all out start. It really worked out well for her today.

She said that she stayed with the other girls in her class on the climbs, then passed them, one at a time on the downhill. After riding with her on Saturday, I could see that she was really comfortable with going REALLY fast on the downhill sections of this course.

Then she crashed!

At the bottom of one of the descents was a tight right hand turn. With the drizzle on Saturday night, it was also slippery!

One of the girls she had just passed, just passed her back!

Lacey said she was able to get going without to much lost time, and was able to catch, and pass the girl again.

When she came around the corner were I was waiting to get a picture, she looked like she felt really good. I was then able to ride the rode, and get a few pictures of her towards the end of the race.

She is getting into a good habit of finishing strong, and today it showed. From the point of taking my first picture, to the spot where I took the last one, she had passed a couple more of the adult racers.

Her winning time for the Junior Beginner Women 14 & Under Long Course was 1 hour and 22 minutes for the 12-mile course.

Our next stop will be the NORBA National race in Fontana on May 6th.
    Once again, the guys at The Path set her bike up in tip-top shape. No mechanicals!
    And thanks to HOSS Tech gear for her duds. She looks killer in the camo!
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Awesome job Lacey!!! That's some nice country up there.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Congrats to you both - that is awesome.

I was also there - took my son for his first ever MTB race. He is only 12 but we entered him into the Beg 14 and under as well - as that was the first group to get to ride the whole 12 mile course.

Our weekend went much like yours - only Tyler came in like 5th instead of first.

The scenery sure was nice out there - and we will be back next year for sure.

Kirk

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Great job, Lacey! Congratulations! Great pictures of the Firestone-Walker course, Winston. Love the picture of the singletrack along the ridgeline. That section was a lot of fun. Was it the bottom of that section where Lacey went down?

mtbr member
    Yeah Lacey!

It was nice meeting both of you on the pre-ride.

Best of luck and lots of fun at Fontana!

Sabine

stay thirsty, my friends
    Very nice job. Sky's the limit for Lacey!
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

I AM PEDALING!

Good job! Not here.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Great job, Lacey! Congratulations! Great pictures of the Firestone-Walker course, Winston. Love the picture of the singletrack along the ridgeline. That section was a lot of fun. Was it the bottom of that section where Lacey went down?
    You just gave me a really big compliment by thanking Winston for the pictures, I was actually the one with the camera this weekend.
    Not here. She said she went down on the section that had the really big rut on the left side of the trail, then turned right at the bottom.
    It was a very fun weekend for us both!
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

I AM PEDALING!

Good job! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    Yeah Lacey!

It was nice meeting both of you on the pre-ride.

Best of luck and lots of fun at Fontana!

Sabine
    THANKS!!
    It was great riding with you guys on Saturday too!
    She was glad not to come accross any cows durring the race.
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

Just another FOCer
    This is why Lacey wore camo during the preride on Saturday:

[SIZE="1"]Photo by "Crash" Maxwell[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by crash maxwell
    THANKS!!
    It was great riding with you guys on Saturday too!
    She was glad not to come accross any cows durring the race.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]