Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

la tuna canyon

3K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  charlesinoc 
#1 ·
can anybody tell me if the la tuna canyon is a good trail for a begginer rider. i just got into riding a month and half ago. and iam trying to find as many trails around san fernando valley. i you guys know of other trails around the valley let me know. i really got hooked on riding trails. thanks manuel

#2 ·
La Tuna ST has some technical sections. There are several short off shoot ST sections to catch as you run down the fire road along the ridge heading toward the trail head of La Tuna ST. You should try it and see how it goes. There are much better trails around the area, though. Cherry Canyon has some nice short ST sections. El Prieto has a nice, but somewhat technical ST and the climb up Brown Mtn (to get to El Prieto) is fun too because it's an overgrown fire road that has become a smooth, flowing ST. Then there's Bluebug ST about 3/4 the way up Haines Canyon fire road, too. But climb to the top of Haines to the towers first. The view is spectacular. Like looking down from a passenger jet. Elevation up there is just over 5000 feet.

Enjoy!

#3 ·
La Tuna Canyon is a good beginner trail as you can first learn how to climb on a fire road. Then as your progress further, there is a single track trail which you can make a loop of for about 10 miles. You can also climb this starting from the burbank side from the golf course. Where is the San Fernando Valley are you from?

#5 ·
If you're in NH, you're in the zone for Caballero ST and Bent Arrow ST. You can catch Caballero near the South end of Reseda Blvd. Bent Arrow can be caught if you turn left on Dirt Mulholland at the top of Caballero ST and take it a few miles. The entrance to Bent Arrow is on your right where the fireroad widens up considerably. It dumps you out just a few yards from the top of Caballero so if you take Caballero back down, you've completed a fun little loop. :)

#9 ·
I cut my teeth on climbing on the other side of that same range (Sullivan ridge). The first time I attempted it, I think I also made it about 2 miles before turning back. All in all, it took me about 4 tries to get to the top, each time I made it further and further though.

Keep it up! Its worth it when you get up there! :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Good effort! You'll get farther next time. I remember that's the hill I learned to climb on and I wasn't able to make it to the top w/o stopping on the first try either. This heat doesn't help. That climb is a pleasure in the Winter, though. When you get to the top, you'll dig the view out over Burbank. You can watch the jets land and take off from Burbank airport, too. :)

#11 ·
Did up La Tuna/down Whiting yesterday evening. Still too darn hot around these parts! The heat zapped my energy. There is some more grading/drainage channel work currently happening on Whiting.

Looking forward to getting away from this nasty heat this weekend!!! BB, here we come.. :)

#14 ·
No, you catch Bluebug off of Haines Cyn fire road. It's a ways up, though so get ready to climb, climb, climb. You gotta keep your eyes open or you'll miss it on your left as you climb.

IMO, it's not worth the climb to get to it. However, if you like the climb to the towers, it's a fair little treat to take on the way back down the hill. It'll dump you out back onto Haines Canyon fireroad where it crosses the big creek bed (washed out section).

#15 ·
La Tuna is a good fire road to practice on, there is a short section of asphalt near the beginning that could sap any rider......

One word of caution about La Tuna is that there are many automobile Break-ins at the trailhead parking area on La Tuna.

There are plenty of access points for that hill, Whiting...Stough Canyon in Burbank, Brand Library Park etc......

Good luck with your rides, and keep on going it will get easier.

#19 ·
Did La Tuna tonight. I've been seeing lots of rabbits hanging around at the lookout and they appear to be waiting for a treat. This time, I brought a big carrot and tossed pieces of it to them. They weren't all that excited about it. I mean, what nerve?! :lol:

Next time, I will bring up some filet mignon, grilled prawns, linguine with clam sauce, and expensive wine, served on fine china under candle light while romantic music is softly performed on the piano and the violin. :bluefrown:

#20 ·
Did La Tuna tonight. I've been seeing lots of rabbits hanging around at the lookout and they appear to be waiting for a treat. This time, I brought a big carrot and tossed pieces of it to them. They weren't all that excited about it. I mean, what nerve?! :lol:

Next time, I will bring up some filet mignon, grilled prawns, linguine with clam sauce, and expensive wine, served on fine china under candle light while romantic music is softly performed on the piano and the violin. :bluefrown:
They prolly woulda eaten it if you had more rep . . .

#25 ·
Rode La Tuna & Whiting tonight. The tractors have been really busy up there scratching the roads off.

Who built that series of trail/jump off shoots that criss-cross Whiting on the way down and who rides that stuff?

This time, I brought grapes for the bunnies. Being a rabbit owner, I know exactly what those little jumpers can't say no to. It was a fiasco! I had 3 of them feasting on the grapes. Got'em figured out now... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.