Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Green Mojo

La Costa Trail Flowers!

I had to take a few extra minutes while riding the La Costa trail today to snap some pictures of the beautiful flowers that border the new single track trail.

A weekday ride in March with 65 degrees and 100% sunshine, flowers everywhere, a new trail (with very minimal dust), and no snakes - does it get any better than this???

bikerneil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bikerneil; 03-27-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Poppies look awesome in the springtime! Almost blinding!

Talked to a CNLM botinest today out there.

He said we need to watch for a type of mustard plant which is propagating and "choking out" the native species. I told him to post pictures on their website. The CNLM website needs to be updated badly.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member

beautiful pics

thanks for sharing neil!

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    I was out there as well. the flowers were certainly nice to look at while climbing up Vista Del Mar. What wasn't so nice was the abundance of skid marks I was seeing since I was going much more slowly in the uphill direction.

it would appear that a number of users of the fine trails La Costa has to offer need to learn what the front brake is for...................

the earth is hard right now but skidding leads to erosion which leads to ruts which leads to not so nice trails.

YR

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    I was out there as well. the flowers were certainly nice to look at while climbing up Vista Del Mar. What wasn't so nice was the abundance of skid marks I was seeing since I was going much more slowly in the uphill direction.

it would appear that a number of users of the fine trails La Costa has to offer need to learn what the front brake is for...................

the earth is hard right now but skidding leads to erosion which leads to ruts which leads to not so nice trails.

YR
    I agree unfortunately it's an all too common sight these days. It seems the "watch out and who cares it's my trail" attitude seems to be growing by the day. So all the complaining the responsible riders do, it seems to fall on deaf ears. Trail etiquette has gone by the wayside. BTW bikerneil nice shots.

Jay
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Great pictures. I haven't ridden that trail yet but am planning on it later this week when I'm up in north county. Thanks for the post.

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    I agree unfortunately it's an all too common sight these days. It seems the "watch out and who cares it's my trail" attitude seems to be growing by the day. So all the complaining the responsible riders do, it seems to fall on deaf ears. Trail etiquette has gone by the wayside. BTW bikerneil nice shots.

Jay
    No kidding, you probably saw this thread, Is it just Socal??? apparently this jackass Gravity Assist owns the trails.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB
    No kidding, you probably saw this thread, Is it just Socal??? apparently this jackass Gravity Assist owns the trails.
    Ummmm yeah I linked it back to this forum a couple of hours ago. Local Trail Beef
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Geez, someone tries to post some nice pics from a ride, and you guys hijack the thread and turn it into another rant. No wonder I spend more time on STR than the forum here

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    Geez, someone tries to post some nice pics from a ride, and you guys hijack the thread and turn it into another rant. No wonder I spend more time on STR than the forum here

Your right, sorry about that, here is a photo I took a few weeks ago
    IMG_0872.jpg
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

BMF
    Oct 2007
    That's a great photo TCB - and I love the Avatar. Here's one I took at Noble a few weeks ago, no flowers in this pic - but the only one I have handy

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Here's another one, poor quality due to camera phone, but showing how green it was at Sweetwater about 3 weeks ago

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think Denk Mtn (I still like the old name for La Costa) has the best flowers I've seen lately. Spectacular! Borrego Springs was great. Sycamore was real nice, but I think I got there a little early in the season. Had some unusual flowers though -- chocolate lilies. Went to San Clemente last weekend -- really green and thick, but not a lot of flowers like Denk. But it's all good!

I will say that some of the plants/weeds blooming out there don't smell the greatest. I'm not sure which ones they are but something on the hill smells a bit musty. Even with a nice coastal breeze it's still there. Hopefully whatever it is goes away soon. it already seems less strong than two weeks ago.

YR

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    My apologies and I also apologize for Yei_Rider for getting me started. Back on topic, nice shots lets and keep them coming.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Sober for now...
    I plan on hitting it up this after noon if anyone wants to wagon-train. I'll be climbing up from the SEH side around +/- 3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    I will say that some of the plants/weeds blooming out there don't smell the greatest. I'm not sure which ones they are but something on the hill smells a bit musty. Even with a nice coastal breeze it's still there. Hopefully whatever it is goes away soon. it already seems less strong than two weeks ago.

YR
    Yea, I feel ya on that one. It looks so great, but every once and a while you catch a wiff of "stink feet". I guess looks can be deceiving.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Noticed the stink while riding Santa Luz/Black Mtn. in PQ the other night. I think it's the mustard plants that smell. They are really starting to shoot up right now.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Please report the location of those mustard plants to Jessica and Markus at CNLM.
    The need to be removed ASAP!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

greedy as a pig
    I see a couple DH bikes in the pictures of this trail, so is this a pretty decent place to ride a DH bike, and is it possible to shuttle it? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by no-pistons
    I see a couple DH bikes in the pictures of this trail, so is this a pretty decent place to ride a DH bike, and is it possible to shuttle it? Thanks.

You cannot shuttle it. It's already to crowded on the weekends. Watch this turn into Daley Ranch...

greedy as a pig
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercycleman
    Daley Ranch...
    Is that place DH bike decent?

Sober for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by no-pistons
    Is that place DH bike decent?
    Not really. There is nothing here that a 5-6 inch trail bike and some skill can't handle. The climbs to the top would really, really suck riding/pushing a DH rig. But if that's your thing, do it on the weekdays because this place gets super crowded on the weekends with riders and hikers from all over OC and SD counties.
    With that being said, have fun and enjoy the hard work that was put into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by bjammin
    There is nothing here that a 5-6 inch trail bike and some skill can't handle.
    I ride all the trails there on my HT. my friend rides it on his SS.

YR

greedy as a pig
    Whats the easiest way to get up to Nascar? And how long is that trail? How is Mule Deer Trail? Also why can I not shuttle to the top?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast