Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

La Costa Trail Day

Hello Everyone
    January the 19th, a Saturday, at 8:00am we will meet at the corner of Corte Romero and Camino Junipero. From there we will walk to a site on the mtn and open up a brand new trail. At the same time we will rehab an old trail that has become rutted and is 8-6 feet wide. It has become unsustainable and wider by the day. CNLM has given the go ahead to put that trail to bed and open up a new trail. I hope I see alot of the usual trail users. We have our work cut out for us. Don't waste the opportunity to enhance your local trail. When we are done it will be time to try out the new trail. There should be enough tools between the SDMBA MTN BIKE CLUB and CNLM to keep everyone busy.
    Thanks Taffy15

Lord of the Chainrings
    Great news!
    Hope to see a lot of old friends there!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy15
    Hello Everyone
    January the 19th, a Saturday, at 8:00am we will meet at the corner of Corte Romero and Camino Junipero. From there we will walk to a site on the mtn and open up a brand new trail. At the same time we will rehab an old trail that has become rutted and is 8-6 feet wide. It has become unsustainable and wider by the day. CNLM has given the go ahead to put that trail to bed and open up a new trail. I hope I see alot of the usual trail users. We have our work cut out for us. Don't waste the opportunity to enhance your local trail. When we are done it will be time to try out the new trail. There should be enough tools between the SDMBA MTN BIKE CLUB and CNLM to keep everyone busy.
    Thanks Taffy15
    from this thread: That's going to leave a mark - cross post from Passion

and this comment

That's going to leave a mark - cross post from Passion

"For the sake of those of us who ride this trail (daily), please DON"T disclose it's whereabouts! The neighbors already dislike the cars with bike racks.

I would really hate to see it become overused and or ruined. It's great having a neighborhood trail. (I am spoiled and I admit it.)

Please don't spoil it by disclosing where it is..... kind of like the Penasquitos Tunnel Trail.

PS: This trail rocks.

bikerneil["

shouldn't we be keeping this trail secret? I mean, it is in his backyard and he doesn't seem to want to share it with anybody. My god, publishing directions to trailwork just might alert people to a legal trail to ride on!

Okay, all kidding aside I will plan on attending. This is my lunchtime ride from work so I will do what I can to get the morning off and head to the trail for some much needed love.

Thanks for the heads up Taffy.

YR

Its only 1" on the map!
    I will be there. The biggest thing that needs to be resolved is parking. I think the access road along the powerline right of way should be opened up for parking.

My cut on publishing a trail or not.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    I will be there. The biggest thing that needs to be resolved is parking. I think the access road along the powerline right of way should be opened up for parking.

My cut on publishing a trail or not.
    I agree with the parking issue. At least open the gates for the day.

Hey mtbbill, after reading your "publishing" article I disagree with this statement..

"...I believe, on average, the folks on the bigger rigs cause more of the trail issues on those types of trails because compared to your average XC rider, they can go faster with the same skill level..."

Generally, "bigger rig" (6"+ travel and up), riders are more experienced riders. They know how to control speed, and "finesse/modulate" the brakes as to not cause skidding. "Skidding" is very inefficient. I spoke with a trail builder and he stated that the "skidders" he's seen out there were mostly the inexperienced "hardtail" riders. A good indicator is "How much dust/powder/dirt is kicked up on the descent".

IMHO, the cause of "trail issues" are improperly installed and improperly maintained trails.

BTW: This is a totally legal trail network.
    The sad reality is, as the "illegal" trails are closed down, the legal trails will experience more user traffic. I'm not gonna give up riding altogether if land owners or whomever, shut down a trail network that I use often. This sport is pretty darn addictive!
    Last edited by Mudd; 12-11-2007 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Trail Day

I was not even thinking about broadcasting this trail to the universe but rather getting the word out to all the locals that the 1/19/08 is the work day. Mudd is right about there has been so many closures the existing trails are bearing the brunt of the work load. The person he refers to concerning skidiots is me. I have been out building trails for quite awhile now and I have witnessed the smoothest sweetest riding from full suspension all mtn 6" bikers. The most skidding as I have seen it is from hardtails trying to use the same dh lines. The new bike technology does allow a rider to ride more intelligently. Anyhow thanks for saying you will be there. I will ask about the gates. The problem with the powerline road is that it is on private property. The utility company got permission to run their towers there but the land is private for now. The guy that owns it is planning to build there but with the down turn in housing it won't be right away. The property lines can be gone over on the 19th. The local residents should gripe to much about us parking there if you are just off the grassy area. Their property values totally benefit from that open space complete with trails free of HOAs. AND there are a lot of them that ride and hike there. I meet them everyday.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd

Hey mtbbill, after reading your "publishing" article I disagree with this statement..

"...I believe, on average, the folks on the bigger rigs cause more of the trail issues on those types of trails because compared to your average XC rider, they can go faster with the same skill level..."
    Okay.....Not trying to hijack the thread, but you have to look at the whole article. The types of trails I was talking about and the caveats I place about generalizations. My statements could be absolutely false. It is however what I seen on those specific types of trails and it is what I believe.

As the article related to this thread, La Costa is what I would call a sensitive trail system. It is a legal trail system, but there is a bit of resident - user conflict occuring because the trailhead parking is simply the side of the street on a cul-de-sac. I totally see the residents point of view, if I lived there I might not like a string of strangers coming up and down my cul-de sac, even if I knew that were fine upstanding mountain bikers like we all are

So I have chosen not to publish this trail until some better options for parking can be figured out as I don't want to contribute to increasing the conflict. It does not neccessarily have to be a city authorized parking as that could take a long time. If we as users of the trail network could come up with a better place to park, I would publish the trail with that parking recommendation.

My first choice would be a dirt area off of the powerline access road.

I think in the interim parking along the road and the dead-end of Camino Junipero would work.

Green Mojo

I love this trail

Yes, I am the person that wrote requesting that this trail be kept secret - I guess I am a bad guy for doing that. Oh well. I stand by my request that this trail's location not be broadcast to the entire world - at least until a few things (like parking) get cleared up. I am on this trail frequently and I do more than my share of trail maintenance. I happen to love the hill and I really hope it does not get ruined. I still consider it more of a "neighborhood ride" than a "destination ride". When parking is created and the neighbors accept the increased traffic load on the trail then I will be the first one to advertise where it is. Until then I will continue to ride it frequently hoping that overuse, and motorcycle riders, don't close it down anytime soon.

I do know the neighbors have successfully banded together to get changes made in the area. They campaigned together when kids were driving pickup trucks on the fire road that is entered off Sitio Salvia - and they got a gate installed. They recently complained loudly about mud being tracked in to their neighborhood and they got tons of rock and gravel added to the area around the gate off Sitio Salvia. I just don't want their next target to be closing down the trail. I know they HATE the one or two motorcycles that frequent the trail. Many of them walk the trail daily and some of them bike the trails as well.

PS: Parking at the dead end of Camino Junipero helps.

Also - did you clear it with the land owner to proceed through on the 19th? I have heard this lady has recently become absolutely irate with the whole issue......

See you out there someday yetirider! I am on my green mojo.
    Last edited by bikerneil; 12-12-2007 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I want to thank Taffy for all his work. I plan to attend this trail work day -- I enjoyed the one last spring. While this area may not be known real widely, it's no secret either. It is a legal, marked trail system. An eagle scout recently installed a kiosk and benches at the top! I've been riding it fairly often on weekends, and I never would've guessed there was a parking issue. There are only houses on one side of the street. The other side abutting the preserve is always open. There's usually no more than half a dozen cars or so parked along there. Three or four by the trailhead, and a few down the street. I usually park just after turning in, where there are no houses on either side of the street. Whoever lives right across from the main trailhead entrance has mtn bikes in their garage, and I see cars & trucks with bike racks. It's pretty much a yuppie neighborhood with lots of bicycles, runners, hikers. We always greet the residents when we see them, and have never received anything but a friendly response. Same with hikers on the trails. It is true that all that could change with a large influx of riders, particularly if they were rude or damage the trails, but I don't see that happening from a trail work notice. I don't want to see crowds, internet spray, and videos everywhere, but I see nothing wrong with discussing this trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Right to Proceed

Yes we are clear to proceed on the 19th and you have the property owners mixed up. It was a Mrs Perkins who was absolutely irate. At the last trail day she was given a chance to speak. She has property that runs up the southeast side of the mtn and there was an illegal trail built through her land. In days gone by she had ignored infringement on her land. But as the population has grown she has experienced people shooting guns, motorcycles, now mtn bikers, and even had a group of female runners flip her the bird. The utility companies have put powerlines and a water supplyline across her land and the county still makes her pay property taxes on the same. So she is the irate person you have heard about. We will not be crossing her land. Old Dog Dan you have it right on concerning the parking. Things have not become unmanageable ....yet. If you use the immediate turn out next to the grassy area there are no homes. You can then ride up the street or just use the trail head on the corner. Hope to see you there. Maybe an off street lot is in the future but I don't see it happening tommorrow.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Can't park on Camino Junipero.
    It's all marked, (ironically): "Bike Lane, No Parking"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mudd; 12-12-2007 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes, that's right. Park on the sides of Corte Romero and Sitio Salvia opposite the houses. The best is on Corte Romero just after entering -- no houses either side for a hundred yards or so. It's legal and shouldn't bother anyone. Then you can ride up the street to enter on Sitio Salvia, and exit on the lower switchbacks that come out to the sidewalk at the corner by your car.

Sober for now...
    I'll be there. Ironically I just purchased a condo over the hill in San Elijo hills. I want to help keep my new backyard ride as good as it can be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Right On

Bj we will see you there. And don't hesistate to ask for a trail that goes across the east side of the mtn facing San Elijo Hills. There should be a trail head that has room for parking and brings you up from the San Elijo Hill side. And I am not talking about the fire road coming up from the old dump.Plus there is the unresolved use of the tunnel going under Ranch Santa Fe. We should have official use of the tunnel as well as a proper singletrack connecting La Costa to Box Canyon through the tunnel. We hurt just as bad as deer when hit by a car.

mtbr member
    May 2005

la costa

I am coming down to La Costa in February. I would love to ride that trail while I am there. Can someone tell me or email me the final trailhead location that you guys decide.

Also, I want to bike from La Costa resort to trailhead. Is that possible?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin1011
    I am coming down to La Costa in February. I would love to ride that trail while I am there. Can someone tell me or email me the final trailhead location that you guys decide.

Also, I want to bike from La Costa resort to trailhead. Is that possible?
    Hi Merlin,
    I'll send you the trail map. Yes, it's not far at all from the resort. It'll be uphill on the way there, but downhill back to the sauna...!
    Dan

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Bj we will see you there. And don't hesistate to ask for a trail that goes across the east side of the mtn facing San Elijo Hills. There should be a trail head that has room for parking and brings you up from the San Elijo Hill side.
    I'm on high favor of one! I work in the valley just off of San Elijo Hills Road so sometimes I end up riding up the fireroad on the North side of the hill when I don't have enough time to go up and down the South Side. The Fireroad is faster but certainly without much entertainment. It's a way up but it is after all, just a fireroad.

YR

Sober for now...
    Bj we will see you there. And don't hesistate to ask for a trail that goes across the east side of the mtn facing San Elijo Hills. There should be a trail head that has room for parking and brings you up from the San Elijo Hill side. And I am not talking about the fire road coming up from the old dump.Plus there is the unresolved use of the tunnel going under Ranch Santa Fe. We should have official use of the tunnel as well as a proper singletrack connecting La Costa to Box Canyon through the tunnel. We hurt just as bad as deer when hit by a car.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Possible Corridor

I spoke with the Lead Ranger from Elfin Forest about the existence of a corridor allowing a trail to connect La Costa and Elfin. He thinks there is a strong possibility it exists. He said the water district already owns a large part of it. So easement rights might be granted on the rest.Two of the head rangers might be at the trail day. That would be a great time to pursue building such a trail.No way should you miss the opportunity to bat around an opportunity like this. If we can put together a project like this I want to create a trail team dedicated to building single track between the two parks. The work at La Costa is demonstrating to me I CAN'T or rather my body shouldn't do it alone. At 54 your body takes more of a hit. Make sure you put the 19th on your calendar. Bring work gloves. We will be making extensive use of the surrounding rock. Bring your girlfriend bring your wife bring the kids. We have to do some planting also. There are a hundred plants and large water bars that have to be built. We will have real biologists/land managers to show us how to plant them correctly. If you get the chance to work next to them don't hesitate to ask them about the tiniest things you see. They are unbelievable sources of interesting knowledge.

Sober for now...
    Sounds good. I'll be dragging some bubbs from another site as well. Should be about 4 of us all together.

Lord of the Chainrings
    I don't see the 19th on the SDMBA event calender yet?!
    Go here: http://sdmba.com/index.php?option=co...ate=2008-01-01
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mudd; 12-19-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Its only 1" on the map!

The Corridor does exist

I spoke with the Lead Ranger from Elfin Forest about the existence of a corridor allowing a trail to connect La Costa and Elfin. He thinks there is a strong possibility it exists. He said the water district already owns a large part of it. So easement rights might be granted on the rest.Two of the head rangers might be at the trail day. That would be a great time to pursue building such a trail.No way should you miss the opportunity to bat around an opportunity like this. If we can put together a project like this I want to create a trail team dedicated to building single track between the two parks.

The corridor does exist, but it needs some debrushing, work and of course a blessing. I have been researching and scouting a connector over the summer. Here are a few pics (sorry no access to my Google Earth stuff at the moment)

Starting from the Elfin End.

The Escondidio Sewer line easment is a bit of double track that runs from end of the single track along the creek at Elfin Forest almost halfway to La Costa. It is nearly flat most of the way. Note the Cielo Trail going down below the dam. At the bottom it cross the dam access road and continues a little further on trail and comes out on Via Ambiente Road. Directly across the road from where it comes out is a trail the was well used prior to the commencement of construction for the dam. It is heavily overgrown right now. The start of that trail is marked as Point C on the next slide.

That overgrown trail goes from Point C to Point A. The trail is passable from Point A to where it come out at the junction of Olivehain easment and the Escondido Sewer Easement east east of Point D. The Olivehain easement on this area is brutally steep. Note at Point F is a trail heading off from the Escondido Sewer Easement. This is singletrack that turns into a wider trail after crossing the creek. It is regularly use by the equestrians in the area.

On this slide the trail at Point F continues on/alongside some of the streets before coming out on Fortuna Del Este. From there you can roll along the streets to Point H-2.

From Point D there is some steep grunting to do to get to Point G. From there you can either take the Olivehain easement to H1 or continue on the fireroad to H-2. Either way you are working.

H-1 to I is a fireroad while H-2 to I is a surface street.

The road is back to dirt at Point I and you will climb along I -J--K toward some water tanks and the top of a hill. These are the water tanks on the next hill east of the La Costa Hill. They are Point L on the next slide.

From Point L you rolling down a fireroad to Point M and on to N. Note from the Point L on, the trails are signned by the CNLM.

There are a few other options that I have not fully scoped. I think reopening the C to D route would be really cool.

La Costa to Elfin via the Escondido Sewer Easement with option to return by dropping the Cielo trail and continue on to Point D would be cool.

-Bill

Sober for now...
    Bill, what's the next step to reclaiming the C to D portion of the trail. Should we discuss this with the proper management bodies?

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by bjammin
    Bill, what's the next step to reclaiming the C to D portion of the trail. Should we discuss this with the proper management bodies?
    Phone calls are being made, satellites are being repositioned and launch codes are being prepped......Strange things are afoot at the circle K.... More to follow.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Taffy, Gary Hill article from 2005..... http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005..._337_23_05.txt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast