mtbr member
    Mar 2010

LA Area riders. Where can you ride singletrack?

I'm trying to find some good technical singletrack to ride while I'm here this week and it seems like the only thing "open" for MTB is fire road.

I'm staying in Santa Monica and working in Hollywood. Looking for something near either location to ride tomorrow and/or Friday.

That said, where the f&%k do you guys ride?

I've seen video of suicide at griffith park and was hoping to find a way to make it a nice loop, but from what I am seeing online it seems that all the actual trails are closed to bikes?

Also, if you have time to ride and show me some trails shoot me a message and we can get together. I'll buy the post ride brews.

mtbr member
    In LA proper, all of the riding is west of the 405. No riding in Griffith Park. Samurai, Jedi, J-Drop, Squirrel Cage, Nic Cage, Hectic, Cookies and a few others are accessible via Sullivan Canyon/Ridge. Twisty, steep, and loose describe some, one's a jump line, and another is just good single track. Nothing is rocky like Sui, though, unless you get out of the Santa Monicas.

Rocky Peak has some good rocky/tech trails, about 40 minutes north. Sui is about that far from you, too. Plenty of chunk in Santa Barbara, but that's likely too far. PM me for details about any of this.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    I'd suggest heading up the coast and hitting parts of Backbone if you can work around the traffic
    Overview of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area and Simi Valley
    definite malingerer

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I'd suggest heading up the coast and hitting parts of Backbone if you can work around the traffic
    Overview of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area and Simi Valley
    BB is fun for sure, but I don't know if I'd call any of it technical. Actually was thinking about breaking out the hard tail if we're riding there this weekend...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    I have meeting in Santa Monica at 330 thursday, looking to ride around 530. if you want to ride let me know, i'd be more than happy to show you some local trails.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    I can take you on a long fun loop on Friday (free all day) or a 1.5hr or so loop tomorrow late afternoon if you're willing to drive over the hill to 101/Reseda. We'd roll to some of the trails mentioned by Kragu among others. Message me if interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the responses guys. kragu was gracious enough to offer to be my guide. Thank you all for the trail suggestions. Hopefully, on future visits I'll be able to check out a lot more trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AntagonistHero View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys. kragu was gracious enough to offer to be my guide. Thank you all for the trail suggestions. Hopefully, on future visits I'll be able to check out a lot more trail.
    Sounds like you should consider riding the Pasadena trails (Sunset Ridge, El Prieto)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'll definitely try to check out as many trails as I can on my travels out this way. One thing is for sure, I gotta hit Suicide again. That trail was great!

I was going to try and jump on the Path's Sunday ride to Trabuco & Yaeger. I know they aren't in this area, but do you guys think they'd be worth the drive?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=AntagonistHero;11342611]I'll definitely try to check out as many trails as I can on my travels out this way. One thing is for sure, I gotta hit Suicide again. That trail was great!
    Hi,I am not sure you are aware but Sui was pretty much destroyed few months ago,
    it is still a fun trail but most of the jumps/drops are gone.

mtbr member
    You can try this one. Geoladders -- Westridge-Sullivan Canyon

Its gonna be crazy hot in the valley the next few days...
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It didn't look too bad to me, but we lose our trails in Vegas every time it rains. There were some pretty well manicured jumps I noticed, but I'm not really into big air.

You guys should fix it before I come back.

mtbr member

As long as you start early (like 7:00) Sunset/El Prieto would be super fun. I'm sure The Path ride will be great, but there's still plenty of stuff closer that's great, too. I'd drive for SART, San Juan, Mt. Pinos, Noble Cyn. and a few others first before branching out, unless someone was super passionate about something I've never heard of, but that's just me!

Great riding with you today!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    As long as you start early (like 7:00) Sunset/El Prieto would be super fun. I'm sure The Path ride will be great, but there's still plenty of stuff closer that's great, too. I'd drive for SART, San Juan, Mt. Pinos, Noble Cyn. and a few others first before branching out, unless someone was super passionate about something I've never heard of, but that's just me!

Great riding with you today!
    I agree. Before you drive all the way to the OC, hit up some of the trails in the San Gabriel Mountains, such as Sunset, El Prieto, Middle Merrill, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I can take you on a long fun loop on Friday (free all day) or a 1.5hr or so loop tomorrow late afternoon if you're willing to drive over the hill to 101/Reseda. We'd roll to some of the trails mentioned by Kragu among others. Message me if interested.
    Which trail are you talking about? I typically ride Cheseboro or Castaic but am looking for new places that are similar in.

official eMpTyBRain
    I rode El Prieto this morning. It's a mess. The ultra dry hillsides are falling onto the trail. I'm shocked that there is still water in the creek, though.

Perhaps someone should install an irrigation system that pulls water out of the creek to water the hillsides along the trail?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member

By "hillsides" do you mean on Brown or down in the canyon?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

official eMpTyBRain
    By "hillsides" do you mean on Brown or down in the canyon?
    Along the ST itself. Constant little slides onto the trail along the cliffs that are slowly (I mean rapidly) covering it up. It wasn't like this last month when I rode it.

Are you in on the ride tomorrow morning with PZ & 007?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Along the ST itself. Constant little slides onto the trail along the cliffs that are slowly covering it up.

Are you in on the ride tomorrow morning with PZ & 007?
    Indeed I am. Didn't know you were too. It'll be good to meet you. Also have a friend coming along.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

official eMpTyBRain
    Indeed I am. Didn't know you were too. It'll be good to meet you. Also have a friend coming along.
    I'm not gonna do the whole ride though. I'll meet up with you guys around Encinal Cyn. and do the out-n-back to Circle X/Yerba Buena.