Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

LA; Where to live?

There's a very good possibility I'll be moving to LA for work for a few months if not permanently. Aside from doing a few Southridge races I don't know squat about LA.
    Work would be near Wilshire and S La Brea and I need to figure out where would be a cool place to live.
    So where should I look for an apartment that would offer decent riding possibilities? Ideally something for both trail riding and road bike but either or would be fine.
    Thanks in advance.
    ..::SYCIP:RACING::..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Your job is right in the middle of LA, you will have drive almost everywhere to ride, and I hope you do not mind traffic. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah that's what I'm afraid of but I figured that I could ride my road bike or moto to work. What I'm really trying to do is convince myself that moving there is a good idea. It's the difference between making $300-500 per week in paradise or $1600 a week in LA.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    there is some good singletrack in the Santa Monica mtns. and plenty of hot roadie action on the west side too.

Lord of the Chainrings
    I heard that Beverly Hills is a pretty nice place to live!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

just along for the ride
    Mudd speaks the truth but then again got $$$$$$$$$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I don't know.....$500 most anywhere else is probably equiv to $1600 in LA. I lived there from '90-95, went back to visit in '99, then a number of visits for work in 2004/2005. I wouldn't want to live there again. Traffic is crazy, the smog is disgusting - really too many people for me (at least where I am in my life right now anyway - it was great for me when I was in my mid to late 20's).

On the bright side, I got into mt biking when I lived there in the early '90s. I never owned a car while I lived there, only my bike and my motorcycle. Traffic wasn't such an issue on my motorcycle. I lived in West LA (Venice / Santa Monica area) and I could ride from my house up into the Santa Monicas for that singletrack. Great beaches with lots of scenery.

There are good and bad about living there, but personally, I wouldn't go back.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ricebowls
    Yeah that's what I'm afraid of but I figured that I could ride my road bike or moto to work. What I'm really trying to do is convince myself that moving there is a good idea. It's the difference between making $300-500 per week in paradise or $1600 a week in LA.
    500 in paradise, might be better than 1600 in LA. It will cost you more than one weeks of wages just for rent, not including fuel for your moto. I am sure it take super, which is over 4 dollars a gallon. Do not get me wrong, I love so cal, but think real hard about the pros an cons of LA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Funny thing is even though I heard some good things about living there NOBODY ever goes so far to say I should totally move there. Even the owner of the company who happens to be a friend of mine cautions me against it. I think I'm going to hold out and see if I can find something else on the mainland or maybe BC.
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    If you have the chance to work in LA for a couple months, take it! For a young single guy pick any place near the beach. You'll have the most fun there. The trail access may not be what you're used to but you can get by in the Santa Monica Mts. Don't worry about traffic, motos can legally split the traffic lanes here. If you find you like it here now is a good time to buy. With $1600 a week you can easily swing it. Good luck!

Bored Carp
    We lived in LA for 8 years. It was awesome. Great riding, fantastic road racing scene, living a mile from the beach was good and we had jobs that allowed us to telecommute, so we didn't have to drive anywhere.

That said, we were always broke, we lived like monks and eventually moved to Utah so that we could afford a house (and because of the freaky-good riding). I think for most people, LA is a phase, but that doesn't mean it isn't a ton of run.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I weep for you, my friend. Think twice, then again, before moving to L.A.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Where is The Paradise ??

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If you want to do lots of quality riding, and don't mind steeps or exposure, give Pasadena a go. You can take the Metro subway from pasadena in to Downtown and avoid the road commute altogether, and you'll have plenty of trails to ride, plenty of mountain road riding, the rose bowl velo pack on tuesdays and thursdays....

But, if you're a beach kind of person then the other suggestion of Santa Monica or the west side isn't a bad compromise. But prepare for gridlock traffic anywhere you want to go if you're on the west side.
    Last edited by Kanga; 04-15-2008 at 12:27 PM.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    check it out, dude. there is KILLER loft apartments in downtown L.A. pricey, but you'll be able to afford one. my friend has one on Spring Street (walking distance to Wilshire Blvd). killer building. 15 stories, was the original west coast stock exchange. built in the early 1900's.

focking cool as chit. the roof has a killer apartment and there's parties up there all the time. the whole building is pretty fun. lost o' parties.

and downtown L.A. is the least "LA" part of LA. it's just big buildings. there's some killer clubs / bars in that part of town as well. but not as many as i expected. like way less.

anyway, that would be an ideal place to live if that's where yer gonna work. bike or walk to work. easy peezy.

oh yeah, riding. jeez.. you really wanna huff that much pollution? the urban assault downtown is killer. BUT you get in those mountains ... meh. the summer is hot as hekk and smog so thick you can cut it with a knife.

aside from the cool parts, LA is a complete $hithole. incredible incessant traffic. hours to go miles on the surface streets.

but if you can do city, you might as well go ALL IN. get in the downtown and do it proper.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

Flaccid Member
    I've lived here in L.A. since 1958. It used to be a great place to live, but it's grown like a cancer. The girlfriend and I would want to live anywhere else but here, but having family keeps us here. You couldn't pay me enough to still have to work here. Driving anywhere involves planning your schedule around everyone elses schedule on the road and the obscene amount of traffic and rude drivers. If that's not enough, drive by shootings, freeway chases, murder where the perpetrator jumps town and heads south of the border for safety should give you an inkling as to how things really are around here. Plan on close to 40% of the drivers around you being uninsured drivers. I've had my car broken into twice in my driveway in 4 months. El Presidente has had all the tools stolen out of his work truck twice in 6 months.

Think hard before you come here.

dat
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dont listen to anyone on here. LA is best place to live by far. I lived in LA all my life. Close to the beach and close to the mountains. I live my life to go fishing and biking and I cant imagine living anywhere else.

We got good food, beautiful beaches, scenic mountains, the best sports teams and... hot freaking chicks everywhere! Welcome to LA, my friend. Just dont let the vatos punk you.

BH1
    mtbr member
    LA is a love it or hate it type of city. I've lived in NY, Boston and now LA (6yrs), and I love LA more than any of the places I've previously lived. You learn the in's and out's of the city and the way things move and you become part of it. The traffic can get to you if you let it, but again, you need to sorta form your life around what will make things best for you. I had a crappy commute, but loved my area (studio city) so I found a better job 10mins from my house. The riding is good, and there is plenty to do... and as long as you can afford to live in LA give it a shot. you'll either love it or hate it.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ricebowls
    Funny thing is even though I heard some good things about living there NOBODY ever goes so far to say I should totally move there. Even the owner of the company who happens to be a friend of mine cautions me against it. I think I'm going to hold out and see if I can find something else on the mainland or maybe BC.
    Thanks for the info.
    yea. it comes down to a simple choice really..
    do you want to ride here?

or here?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Good job! LA is good or bad depending on where you are.

LA is huge, so if you are thinking of moving here, it will be amazing if you live in some areas and pure hell in others. As far as riding goes, bender has the right idea with his photos.

I have lived everywhere it seems, east coast, canada, south, west coast. LA is in the top 3of best places to live, again, if your in the right area.

The west side or santa monica are the only places worth living in. They are both a short drive to the single track or the beach and the people in general are cool, fun and nice. It is expensive, but your going to be making more than enough to enjoy it here.

If you race, there are pleanty of races, unfortunetly it can be a far drive sometimes.

If you dont want to live in santa monica or the west side of LA then forget it. Move to BC if you want to ride... or I heard they just opened up a really nice mtb park in NYC. Another awesome place to live.

Glad to Be Alive
    try Burbank, North Hollywood....you can find some cheaper rents there
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    try Burbank, North Hollywood....you can find some cheaper rents there
    lol. "Burbank". yeah, great place to live.

the dude already backed outta moving to the City of Angles. so all this thread can devolve down to is

1 - those who live in and love LA: "OMG!!! THE FOOD THERE IS GREAT!! THE CULTURES IS SO ECCLECTIC!!! I CAN GET CHINESE, THAI, NORTH KOREAN, SOUTH KOREAN, MEXICAN, HONDURAN, COLUMBIAN, AZTETLANAN, HAWAIIAN, GUAMANIAN, ZIMBAWEIAN, ETHIOPIAN, RUSSIAN, KHAZAKESTINIAN, ITALIAN and BELGIUM FOOD ALL IN ONE SHOPPING COURT!! AND ALL TO GO!!"

2 - the LA haters: "the sports teams suck and tickets are way way way over priced, the traffic sucks and the smog sucks. takes you 2 hours to get outta town on a good day. and there is never a good day."
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    The #2 LA Haters have never ridden Ahmanson or the Cheese up to China Flat on Christmas Day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Please all LA haters leave now or better yet, don't come here at all. Until you've ridden the incredibly fun and technical fire roads and singletracks above Pasadena and Altadena, your comments are not worth the pixels they are printed on. I have ridden all over the western US and Canada and the greater LA area has some of the best, steepest and gnarliest mountain biking around. Plus, you can ride 365 days a year. Let's see you do that in Seattle or Denver.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Get Down Brother!

Quote Originally Posted by rangehound
    Please all LA haters leave now or better yet, don't come here at all. Until you've ridden the incredibly fun and technical fire roads and singletracks above Pasadena and Altadena, your comments are not worth the pixels they are printed on. I have ridden all over the western US and Canada and the greater LA area has some of the best, steepest and gnarliest mountain biking around. Plus, you can ride 365 days a year. Let's see you do that in Seattle or Denver.
    Wow, Range! Your first post is a doozy! I'm born and raised in Pasadena and have known this treasure forever. Look for me on Brown/El Prieto, Chilao/Vetter, Gabrielino, etc.

The San Gabriels are like mini-sierras.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast