Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

L.A. Cyclist killed in Friday's Critical Mass ride

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Der Juicen 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I effing hate critical mass...they are stupid how they block streets...as a rider I should support them...but I feel sympathy to people who snap and run people over....Yeah do your bike rides but be polite and don't block people...yeah you have rights to be in the lane but the first rule of motor vehicles is to be courteous to other drivers...and blocking lanes is not courteous

Reactions: 007
#4 ·
from what i understand he was on a fixie, no brake and no helmet. that is the word from my co-worker but he did not see the accident only the aftermath. sounds like it could have been avoided with basic safety precautions.
I get a kick when people say "You mountain bike? that's crazy!". try commuting on a bike in LA during rush hour, "That's Crazy". Way more injuries on the road

#5 · (Edited)
agree...roadies are crazy...last month a guy died in Simi...2 months ago Thousand Oaks...and then Last Friday night/Sunday morning early I saw a guy riding up the Pass road in Simi at 12:30am as the drunks were coming home from partying.

#10 ·
UCLA has some hills. If this happened where I think it happened, its not a place I'd want to be riding a brakeless fixie in the middle of a crowd if that's actually the story. I can see in an event like this though how someone might not be familiar with the terrain and get in trouble quick. There's also a ton of construction going on in the area.

Yeah I grew up in Thousand Oaks, so I have personal worries that keep me off a road bike in LA. Might be even worse out in the 'burbs with the preponderance of high speed limits, and texting idiots in their SUVs.

#11 ·
Critical Mass does nothing to promote safe road riding and does everything to further widen the gap between cyclist and car. I am an avid road and mtn rider and would never support such a joke of an event.

Sorry for the person who was killed but these kids get that mob mentality and think they are no longer responsible for following the rules of the road.

#12 ·
Critical Mass does nothing to promote safe road riding and does everything to further widen the gap between cyclist and car. I am an avid road and mtn rider and would never support such a joke of an event.

Sorry for the person who was killed but these kids get that mob mentality and think they are no longer responsible for following the rules of the road.
exactly what i was telling my coworker. Doing more harm than good.

#15 ·
you can't blame the fixie (ones with no brakes) blame the rider.
its like blaming a DH bike for killing a rider who wanted to go totally DH'in

As for the Critical Mess, yeah, too may people at the same time. Like going on a
mountain group ride with 50 close personal friends---ugh!! Not fun.

#16 ·
Just walking around is dangerous, I was in LA for my first year of Uni last year and I almost got killed because people don't respect the pedestrian's right of way.

#18 ·
Jerico Culata lost control of his bike as he was riding on a downhill curve near UCLA and slammed into a masonry wall, according to City News Service. The crash happened just before 10 pm near De Nave Drive and Charles E. Young Drive. Culata was transported to UCLA Medical Center where he died a short time later.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I assume that it was a typo saying it happened at 10:00 p.m.
Was this ride at night? Totally downhilling on a fixie with no brakes at night with no helmet.
Hmmmmm

#22 ·
He hit a wall? Ouch. I remember one time I was downhilling and ran into one of those electric box tihngs that jut out of the ground and I bounce off. I nearly needed a change of pants. Another time I was riding my bike, on a sidewalk, and this car never looks before covering the sidewalk with his car, before pulling out, and I slammed into it and flew over the hood.

#23 ·
feel sorry for the rider and the family.

but... IMHO fixies belong on the velodrome, not on the road.

there are bikes designed and marketed strictly for track racing which are typically not spec'd with brakes, or even the means to mount a brake.
then there are the trendy, straight bar, flashy, fixies that are marketed for the trendy hipsters, most of which when they show up to the shop have brakes. weather or not the rider decides to leave them on the bike is up to them, but truly idiotic and beyond any reasonable comprehension that anyone would not use brakes. and in this case i do agree with the Darwin comment above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.