Hell Track

L.A. Cyclist killed in Friday's Critical Mass ride

My co-worker was on this ride and told me about it. sad

Cyclist Dies During Critical Mass Bike Ride: LAist

Ridin' Furry
    Wonder if he was wearing a helmet.

Glad to Be Alive
    I effing hate critical mass...they are stupid how they block streets...as a rider I should support them...but I feel sympathy to people who snap and run people over....Yeah do your bike rides but be polite and don't block people...yeah you have rights to be in the lane but the first rule of motor vehicles is to be courteous to other drivers...and blocking lanes is not courteous
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Hell Track
    from what i understand he was on a fixie, no brake and no helmet. that is the word from my co-worker but he did not see the accident only the aftermath. sounds like it could have been avoided with basic safety precautions.
    I get a kick when people say "You mountain bike? that's crazy!". try commuting on a bike in LA during rush hour, "That's Crazy". Way more injuries on the road

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    from what i understand he was on a fixie, no brake and no helmet. that is the word from my co-worker but he did not see the accident only the aftermath. sounds like it could have been avoided with basic safety precautions.
    I get a kick when people say "You mountain bike? that's crazy!". try commuting on a bike in LA during rush hour, "That's Crazy". Way more injuries on the road
    agree...roadies are crazy...last month a guy died in Simi...2 months ago Thousand Oaks...and then Last Friday night/Sunday morning early I saw a guy riding up the Pass road in Simi at 12:30am as the drunks were coming home from partying.
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 09-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskywolf View Post
    Wonder if he was wearing a helmet.
    I doubt it.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    from what i understand he was on a fixie, no brake and no helmet.
    Sorry for his family, but Darwin was right again . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

banned
    Aug 2012
    I agree.

What the hell is it with with everyone riding those horrid abominations called fixies these days?

Everywhere I go I literally see one every half mile. I can't stand those flashy obnoxious looking bikes and the lame-o's who ride them.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    but I feel sympathy to people who snap and run people over...
    how could you ever
    shame on you Bob
    Last edited by highdelll; 09-07-2012 at 06:11 AM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    UCLA has some hills. If this happened where I think it happened, its not a place I'd want to be riding a brakeless fixie in the middle of a crowd if that's actually the story. I can see in an event like this though how someone might not be familiar with the terrain and get in trouble quick. There's also a ton of construction going on in the area.

Yeah I grew up in Thousand Oaks, so I have personal worries that keep me off a road bike in LA. Might be even worse out in the 'burbs with the preponderance of high speed limits, and texting idiots in their SUVs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Critical Mass does nothing to promote safe road riding and does everything to further widen the gap between cyclist and car. I am an avid road and mtn rider and would never support such a joke of an event.

Sorry for the person who was killed but these kids get that mob mentality and think they are no longer responsible for following the rules of the road.

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRus View Post
    Critical Mass does nothing to promote safe road riding and does everything to further widen the gap between cyclist and car. I am an avid road and mtn rider and would never support such a joke of an event.

Sorry for the person who was killed but these kids get that mob mentality and think they are no longer responsible for following the rules of the road.
    exactly what i was telling my coworker. Doing more harm than good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRus View Post

Agreed.

Aside from dumping on critical mass, my observation has been that group rides can be very risky, as you get a lot of sketch behavior from riders who don't know any better.

bicioso
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post
    I agree.

What the hell is it with with everyone riding those horrid abominations called fixies these days?

Everywhere I go I literally see one every half mile. I can't stand those flashy obnoxious looking bikes and the lame-o's who ride them.
    I can tell you are so effin repressed, deep down you know you want one

Life Is Short
    you can't blame the fixie (ones with no brakes) blame the rider.
    its like blaming a DH bike for killing a rider who wanted to go totally DH'in

As for the Critical Mess, yeah, too may people at the same time. Like going on a
    mountain group ride with 50 close personal friends---ugh!! Not fun.

mtbr member
    Just walking around is dangerous, I was in LA for my first year of Uni last year and I almost got killed because people don't respect the pedestrian's right of way.
    "There are goals and results, but memories will come form the journey." - Lea Davison

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    Just walking around is dangerous, I was in LA for my first year of Uni last year and I almost got killed because people don't respect the pedestrian's right of way.
    very true!

Front Range, Colorado
    Jerico Culata lost control of his bike as he was riding on a downhill curve near UCLA and slammed into a masonry wall, according to City News Service. The crash happened just before 10 pm near De Nave Drive and Charles E. Young Drive. Culata was transported to UCLA Medical Center where he died a short time later.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I assume that it was a typo saying it happened at 10:00 p.m.
    Was this ride at night? Totally downhilling on a fixie with no brakes at night with no helmet.
    Hmmmmm
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Life Is Short
    Went to the LA County Fair yesterday and of course. its a giant swap meet as well, so a bicycle shop
    has a booth selling stuff and I saw a "fixie" for sale. Of course, now fixies have front brakes. Good!

Hell Track
    yes critical mass is a night ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    They don't just block traffic, they vandalize cars as they ride buy. What kind of dummy taunts strangers in vehicles that weigh over a ton?

mtbr member
    He hit a wall? Ouch. I remember one time I was downhilling and ran into one of those electric box tihngs that jut out of the ground and I bounce off. I nearly needed a change of pants. Another time I was riding my bike, on a sidewalk, and this car never looks before covering the sidewalk with his car, before pulling out, and I slammed into it and flew over the hood.
    "There are goals and results, but memories will come form the journey." - Lea Davison

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    feel sorry for the rider and the family.

but... IMHO fixies belong on the velodrome, not on the road.

there are bikes designed and marketed strictly for track racing which are typically not spec'd with brakes, or even the means to mount a brake.
    then there are the trendy, straight bar, flashy, fixies that are marketed for the trendy hipsters, most of which when they show up to the shop have brakes. weather or not the rider decides to leave them on the bike is up to them, but truly idiotic and beyond any reasonable comprehension that anyone would not use brakes. and in this case i do agree with the Darwin comment above.
    Juice