mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Knee therapy riding.....Fullerton loop a good choice?

Hey all, new guy here. I've been reading pages from this forum a long time and finally decided to register.

I'm looking for a little info about the Fullerton loop.

So a little background first, I've been out of the riding game for about 15 years now. I did a lot of DH and a little bit of XC way back in the 90's. Mostly up at Summit in Big Bear. Then in '98-'99, I just sort of stopped and buried the bikes in the back of the garage.

So that was then, and now I get my racing fix with motocross. It does come with certain risks, though, and about three years ago, I had a bad get-off in a race that tore my ACL, MCL and meniscus. I finally got everything fixed this year and my PT guy has been telling me some of the best therapy would be to get back to riding bikes.

Last bike I raced was a '97 GT LTS DH. I've since dug the old girl out and given her a remodel. I don't really want to go out and spend what it costs for a new bike, so I figured I'd update/upgrade a few things and hit the trails on my old school ride.

So now that the bike is done, I'm looking for places to ride that I can ease my way back in to shape. I've gotten a bit, um, round, since I used to race/ride regularly. Between knee issues and getting myself back in shape, there's no rush to go bombing down any hills yet.....YET.

Since I'm so close, I've been looking at hitting the Fullerton loop. As close as it is, I've never ridden this trail before. I've heard about it and had friends that used to ride it years ago, but I don't 'know it'.

I'm mainly curious if there are sections of the trail that I should avoid for now till I get in better shape, and where they are. I don't know if there are any major climbs or tricky single track or anything that could be a bit too much for a weak knee. Of course, for all I know, the whole thing is a freeway.

Anyway, just looking to hear any experience/advice you guys might have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Re: Knee therapy riding.....Fullerton loop a good choice?

Welcome back! There are at least three climbs i can think of that can be difficult. No need to avoid them though... Just walk your bike up when you run out of steam. As for downhills, there aren't any crazy portions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Another welcome back! Agree with El Mango, there are some climbs, just a few sections are steep that may requiring walking in the beginning (eventually you'll be able to ride them!!). Some singletrack can be found off the main trail.
    In terms of 'freeway', the congestion part is mainly the first few miles after the courthouse, where most walkers/runners can be found.
    Now the only problem you may have is getting lost!! The traditional start is at the courthouse, but of course you can start anywhere. This is easier with a GPS. If you go to the courthouse Sat/Sun morning, you should be able to find a group to tag along with.
    https://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=190

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What they said. Theres no technical rock sections or crazy downhills. It truly a beginners trail. The uphills are steep but short, total elevation gain is just a couple hundred feet I believe.
    After a 12 yr break from riding I started at the fully loop. I had to walk 1 of the hills the first few times. Then it was a breeze.

There are several ways to cut out of the trail if its just too tough for ya.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

Good on ya for deciding to get back in shape. The Loop is the most beginner friendly trail I can think of. Navigation can be confusing the first time or two, but if you go on a weekend, there are plenty of people to ask for directions. The Loop also has plenty of options for "cutting it short" in case you find that you've bit off more than you can chew. Above all else, have fun out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the replies!

Right now my only limitation is fatigue in the knee. Like you guys have said, I can minimize that by walking the climbs.

What's the crowd like in the afternoon on week days?