mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Keyesville this weekend - Is Just Outstanding open?

I'm planning on going up to check out the races at Keyesville and do some riding. Does anyone know if Just Outstanding is open? Any input on the trail conditions would be great, thank you.

No known cure
    I am going up too for some racing and was planning on riding JO. I checked Alta Sierra's website, where the trail starts, and they've been closed since 2/27 for lack of snow. The Socal mountains are getting 3-18 inches of snow, with snow levels down to 3000' starting tomorrow through Friday, but I'm not sure if that means anything for K'ville.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I don't really know what elevation JO starts at but it most likely is above 3k feet. Is there a way to access the lower portions of the trail that might not get hit with snow?

No known cure
    My shuttle guy in K'ville sent me a text saying "Snow still n up top green horn, I think it's OK." Then went on about drinking beer.

I rode JO around Halloween and it was icey and cold at the top, but the trail drops so quick, I was into hero dirt pretty quickly.

I'm betting that if there's snow at the top, there's already tracks through it and I'm riding. I was thinking about riding JO Saturday after the CC race.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I called MRA and they aren't running shuttles this weekend. I've ridden JO numerous times and I agree it's a blast hope its rideable!

most memberable
    May 2011
    Where is that damned JFSH guy...he's probably riding JO as we speak...probably wants it all to hisself.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by V E E R View Post
    I called MRA and they aren't running shuttles this weekend. I've ridden JO numerous times and I agree it's a blast hope its rideable!
    When did you want to ride? We can do a self shuttle, or there's my friend. My only obligations are the XC and DH race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not racing this weekend, just spectating. My buddy and I were planning on hitting JO whenever we wake up on Sat. What about you?

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Where is that damned JFSH guy...he's probably riding JO as we speak...probably wants it all to hisself.
    Jfsh is a busy guy with his new job and family. He does not get the time to ride much let alone surf the web. You can always ride Kern Canyon Trail or the lesser know Whiskey Flats Trail starting at Last Chance riding downstream to Kernville. Trail has been worked on but still a tough ride. Or the Opium Trail. Buy the excellent map of the area here. Kern River Sierra Adventure Trail & River Map: Giant Sequioas to Kernville to Lake Isabella to Domeland & Golden Trout Wildnerness Trails some REI stores also have it in stock. There is much more out there to ride than the popular trails most talk about. Dean
    Last edited by dstepper; 03-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    Jfsh is a busy guy with his new job and family. He does not get the time to ride much let alone surf the web. You can always ride Kern Canyon Trail or the lesser know Whiskey Flats Trail starting at Last Chance riding downstream to Kernville. Trail has been worked on but still a tough ride. Or the Opium Trail. Buy the excellent map of the area here. Kern River Sierra Adventure Trail & River Map: Giant Sequioas to Kernville to Lake Isabella to Domeland & Golden Trout Wildnerness Trails some REI stores also have it in stock. There is much more out there to ride than the popular trails most talk about. Dean
    Sounds very third-person-ish...almost by proxy!

No known cure
    I racing XC Saturday morning in the singlespeed class, then was going grab the other bike and ride JO. Shuttle guy sent me a text today saying that there's snow in a few spots

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Did anyone end up riding JO last weekend? How was it? I was out there a few weeks ago and it still had quite a bit of snow toward the top but I'm thinking about hitting it again this weekend.