Demon Cleaner

Kernville Ride help/suggestions needed.

Visiting Kernville this weekend with friends (yes, we planned this before mtbr did it's promo....but heck the more the merrier). I hope to arrive there earlier than the others and get a ride in Friday evening. We'll shuttle Cannell Saturday.

My question. A) is it assy to climb Cannell out of the Kernville trailhead on a Friday evening? That would be ideal from my perspective since we could just out-and-back for a couple hour ride. Obviously not planning to get very far up the trail, just see it and break a sweat before heading back to town (beer!). BUT I don't want to climb a route busy with people heading down. Since I've never ridden the trail before I have no idea whether there's much two-way traffic etc.

B) other ideas? I'm aware of Just Outstanding and have been looking at some of the other local Strava segments, but nothing stands out as a fairly simple out-and-back ride. I don't want to get into a major expedition. Saving the real workout for Sat and Sun.

"intermediate" to advanced rider. Ride 2-3 times a week (10-20+ mile rides).

Yes, I used the search function and have read through the many other posts on Kernville but didn't find an answer to question A.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

official eMpTyBRain
    A few things come to mind if you try to climb the Plunge at night:

*hungry bears
    *hungry mountain lions

The Plunge is very steep and probably very loose. Although darkness would have riders coming down at slower speeds, it is a very steep, narrow, loose trail. Not designed for two-way traffic.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Demon Cleaner
    It wouldn't be at night. The "idea" was to climb up from Sierra Way for an hour or so and then turn around and come back. Leave at say 5 or 6 pm. Plenty of light still.

However, if no one rides it up and lots are riding down, then that's no good. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    I don't think it would be too busy with riders coming down at that time on a Friday, but still might not be much fun due to the steep/loose factor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I know someone who rode up it recently and I think they said it was very sandy. You could check out wiskey flat or the bike park in town. Also, JO really doesn't take to long if you have a shuttle. Or to avoid the heat you could do Unal trail.

Mountain Bike - The Unal Trail

Buy ^ their map too!

I may be up there Friday or Saturday to do either JO or the Plunge if I have the time and a shuttle.

Demon Cleaner
    That's helpful westeast. Looks like a perfect solution. Thank you.

We won't have a shuttle that evening and aren't familiar with the area so something modest and east to find is ideal. We may get to shuttle JO on Sunday am.

member: kv dirt daddies
    Riding up Cannell on a Friday evening would be no problem. You may see a hiker or 2 but I doubt you will see any downhill bike traffic. You can do a reasonable hour to hour and a half out and back from the bottom. Any further and you will get into some hike-a-bike. It will be warm at that time of day and the trail is West facing so it will be in the sun.

The suggestion for Whiskey flat trail is a good one. It is East facing so is in the shade by 6. You can do a nice 2 hour or longer out and back on it. There are no big climbs or dh sections but it can be a bit techy for an XC trail. I ride it once or twice a week after work.

Unal is another great option. It is at elevation so it will be 20 degrees cooler. The loop is only 45 minutes. You can add the upper part of JO and ride Rancheria road back up and turn it into a 1 1/2 hour ride. Another option up there is Portuguese Pass trail. Portuguese Pass Trail in the Kern River Sierra It takes about 2 hours. For a little more challenge you can climb the singletrack instead of the road.