mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Kernville next weekend

We plan on going to Kernville next weekend. Ariving around noon on Friday. We plan on doing Cannell and Just Outstanding for Sat and Sunday. Any suggestions for a Friday afternoon ride?

2 minutes turkish
    Friday afternoon grab your tubes and ride(float) the north fork...if the water isn't too high. Maybe a little early in the season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We were thinking about rafting Saturday after Just Outstanding. Maybe we will raft Friday, do Cannell Sat and then JO Sunday.

I was wondering if there were any other trails in the area worth checking out.

Over the Hill
    If not to hot Kern Canyon Trail is excellent. Best as point to point. Start at Keyesville down to Denlonga Bridge.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...8_4518crx.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It might be a little to hot for that ride. And we only have one vehicle.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Kern Canyon Trail stays at a fairly constant elevation with shorter ups/downs....it's pretty damned swell.

Mill Creek/Squirrel Meadow is another one to check out.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Whiskey Flat trail in Kernville.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Do you have some directions and info on the Whiskey Flat Trail? The Mill/Squirrel meadows trail seems a little long for a Friday afternoon ride.
    And thanks for the input everyone.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdr
    Do you have some directions and info on the Whiskey Flat Trail? The Mill/Squirrel meadows trail seems a little long for a Friday afternoon ride.
    And thanks for the input everyone.
    The trailhead is at the north end of Burlando Road in Kernville. It basically is an out and back that runs along the west side of the upper Kern River. There are a few offshoots that head up into the hillside and back down along the way if you are ambitious.

It does have a creek crossing. There are at least a couple of spots to cross the creek that have either rocks or one has a couple logs side by side and a taut cable at about eye height to hang onto (not particularly difficult or dangerous).

The trail has numerous short ups and downs with several rocky sections to keep you amused. Hard to get truly lost as it just follows the river next to the mountainside for over 10 miles (more like 14 miles) if you are inclined to ride that far. As I remember, it kind of gets progressivley more technical the farther north you ride.

member: kv dirt daddies

Forest 90 or Unal trail

I would do one of these 2 rides. Whiskey Flat is cool but it is a low elevation and can be hot. Kern Canyon will likely be warm as well. Both Forest 90 and Unal are at 6000' so they will be nice and cool. Here are detailed directions.

Unal Trail. It is right at the summit of HWY 155. At the summit take a left and go a few hundred yards. The unaltrail starts right there. There is a huge sign and map that you can't miss. I usually ride the loop clockwise but both directions are fun. It takes about an hour.

Forest 90. It starts at the same place as Unal. At the summit of 155 turn right. Park next to the huge shed. Ride the dirt road North. You first go down a little then climb for about 7 miles and 1500'. There are a few forks in the road. Stay on the most traveled road. Eventually the road T's into a paved road. This is where the singletrack starts. It is on the West side of the dirt road you just climbed. Look around at the big camping/parking area there and you will see the trail heading down. Follow the trail back to where you came from. After 5 or 6 miles the trail spits you back out onto the road (You will see this spot when you climb up). The trail starts up again on your right 1/4 mile or so down the road. This trail will eventually dumps you on a spur road which leads back to the main dirt road. Ride the road another mile or so back to your car. This is about a 2 - 3 hour ride, 16 miles or so.

I hope this helps. You can do 1 or both of these rides. Let me know if you have any more questions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    lols. whiskey flats. lols. as you watch all those people go ripping by in rafts having FUN and yer slogging out a pretty marginal trail in 100F heat. lols. yeah.. you go. sounds like fun. grimace at the rafters as you are staving off a heat stroke.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    jfsh, thanx a lot. I like the higher elevation. If we ride Friday Forest 90 looks like the ride we will do. Or maybe we will get on the river. Thanks again.

bc3
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Campsite suggestions

I'm planning to visit Kernville later this summer and would appreciate any suggestions on campsites. I prefer primitive camping and have located a few spots up near Sherman Pass (Smith Meadows, Osa Meadow, Mosquito Meadow). According to my research, no permits or reservations are required for primitive camping. Is it first-come, first-serve? Are they hard to come by? Does anyone have any suggestions on these or any other recommendations for campsites in the Kernville area (preferably near The Plunge)?

P.S. - sorry for hijacking this thread but possibly you could use the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You need a campfire permit. You can get those at the Ranger Station. There are a lot of Places to do the primitive camping. We are doing the shuttle which starts in Kernville. It is too much driving to camp at 9000 ft then drive down to catch the shuttle. So we just camp in Kernville next to the river with showers. A short walk to Kernville Brewery.