Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kernville Just Outstanding

749 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Oh My Sack! 
#1 ·
Anybody know anything about Kernville and Just outstanding right now? Im thinking of hitting it while were up there either Wed or Thurs if anyone wants to join. My wife will probably have to shuttle and i have room for a couple more. Dont know if the fire messed up the trail at all so any help from locals is appreciated! thanks

#2 ·
I'd call Mountain River Adventures for conditions. Get a map, which is available everywhere. It's blistering hot there right now and I'd ride it in the afternoon. Even if you start early, the air is dead and feels like an oven rising off the valley floor.

#3 ·
The fire was on the Lake Isabella (South / South East) side of the lake. JO is in Wofford Heights at the Alta Sierra Ski Resort. Look to Alta for Wx conditions at the top and Wofford Heights for the lower elevation. Most of JO is under a lot of, or at least some tree canopy till you get to the end where it meets Wagy Road (dirt fire road) If you choose to do any of the lower trails, like Wagy Ridge Tr or Royal Gulch or head over to the north to come out Old State Rd, you'll be exposed and it gets hotter than **** at those elevations. Same with going right at Wagy Flat Rd to Sawmill but Sawmill is a fast dirt road that eventually becomes paved and runs into Hwy 155. We've parked our shuttle truck in a turnout right near that location then go do it again. Many do the Wagy to Old State then down to the Post Office. There's some climbing involved in that but again, it's all dirt road unless you choose to deviate to the lower single track trails. Keep in mind, there's still an altitude effect even below JO. It sort of amplifies when you're cooking hot but we come from the coast where we ride at sea level to maybe 2400'. It was a little surprising the first time we hit it, not so much bombing JO but the high output on the lower trails which were a lot of fun. Just start EARLY!

Just reread Vader's post and his advice about afternoon. Probably not a bad thing to consider or Bomb JO early, then go back later in the day and do it again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.