Only need One

Kernville 7/11-7/13 any takers

Will be in the Kernville area this weekend.
    Will be riding Just Outstanding on fri and Cannell on sat.
    Anyone in the area want to put together some shuttles on the above days?
    Any info on weather and trail conditions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    was there last weekend.

did Coyote to Dutch Flats (to Keyesville). was a heinous rutted, sandy washed out mess. very poor trail conditions. totally rutted out from dirtbikers hitting the throttle going UP. yer just hitting deep sand / dirt at high speeds. went over the bars many times.

let us know how it goes.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    I live in Bako and rode Cannell 2 weeks ago. The trail was in awesome condition, but it was the first week of it being open. There were a couple very small patches of snow at the top, I'm sure are gone. The start of The Plunge was sandy but I liked it. It will be hotter than hell all weekend and the Piute fire is going to make the air bad as well.

No known cure
    As of this morning, the canyon was still full of smoke, with ash still lightly falling. At least it wasn't as hot as last weekend.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just curious what is 'Coyote'? Never heard of any trails by that name.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Hot as F at the lower elevations during the day. Air quality is alright as long as the Piute fire is blowing towards the east.

If Coyote trail is the one you're talking about, I rode down it on the dirt bike last weekend. It was fine, even by mountain bike standards. That is just how southern Sierra riding is. Remember, trails up there are clear and existent because of the constant moto traffic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    "That is just how..."

LOLS.. thanks for the information, bro!!

Coyote trail starts at 'Alta Sierra'. it's near Shirley Meadows ski joint. DUSTY.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

No known cure
    "Hot as F at the lower elevations during the day."

You can say that again. I had to ditch my bike due to heatstroke last week. Here's the story, from a PM sent to jfsh yesterday.

I just rolled in the door getting back from Kernville. Last weekend I tried to arrange the shuttle with mntriver for Cannell and/or JO but there weren't enough people, so Monday, I rode from the Goldledge Campground and rode up the highway to Sherman Pass and up on to the Rincon Trail I had 100oz in my MULE, a large water bottle of Gatorade and a MSR water purifier. I should mention that I have been mtbiking 25+ years, live at 6000 feet with my rides topping 8000 feet, am in racing shape and regularly ride 100+ degree weather. Anyway, I looked at Rincon on a map with no elevation profile. It looked like a straight line and safe enough. As I started up the trail, both riding and pushing, I couldn't help but notice that there was no breeze. At all. It was like a sauna, and my heart rate monitor showed 108 degrees. By the third saddle I was whipped and a bit concerned about the heat. This is when I discovered that my bottle had ejected from it's cage and I was down to 50 oz in my pack. I got to the primitive campgrounds under the oaks at what I belive is Packsaddle Creek. I rested in the shade and took my pack of to filter water, only to find that the filter was missing!!! I cooled of in the creek and wondered if I should continue. I got about halfway up the fourth saddle and turned around. I hadn't rode the trail before and wasn't sure if I had sufficient water. I started back up the third saddle and immediatly knew I wouldn't make it back. I rode back to the junction of the Packsaddle Cave trailhead and went down, only to find it was impassible. Fack! I figured I could stay the rest of the day and night under the oaks at the creek, only, no one knew I was here. The others I was camping with had left that morning. I decided to bushwack, wading through stinging nettle. I had to throw my bike over the vegetation and use it like a bridge to get through some sections. Then the trail disapeared. I looked in vain(I later saw how the cave trail works out) expecting the trail to materialize. It never did. After a mile or so of bushwacking and downclimbing Packsaddle Canyon in cycling shoes, I was dizzy and my thought process was deteriorating rapidly. I was now out of water so I picked a landmark and ditched the bike. I had a GPS and could've made a waypoint but my brain was fried and I forgot I had it with me. I staggered along, dodging poison oak the best I could, and emerged at the highway, where I collapsed. I got up and started walking down the highway where I was picked up by a local named Jeff in his mid 50's, who gave me water and a ride back to Goldledge. My Ventana sat out in the canyon for a week until this morning, when my girlfriend and I hiked up the canyon at 5:30, to beat the heat. Once I got to the location, it took an hour to find the bike. Jeff who picked me up suggested I go see John at mntriver. I told him what happened and he offered to go up to get it. I knew this is his busy time and might have trouble locating the bike so I just figured to come back up in a week. All in all, it was a humbling experience. At least youguys didn't have to read about me in the paper! Next time i'll get in touch with you guys.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    THAT'S just how the trails are here in the southern Sierra, bro!

jk.

dude, that is a burly story. someone gonna DIE on that trail (again). wtf.

i was yappin' to my buddy 'bout doing the whole thing (Cannell) and he just keeps saying "No.. blah blah."

finally i was like "Yeah, 30 miles would prolly kill me."

good story and thanks for posting it (use some paragraphs/hard returns next time maybe?).

- Cicero

Only need One
    Great story Vader.
    Pretty comfy with this trail.
    Prolly starting from Fish Creek and I hope my story will be as entertaining as yours just in the positive side.
    Cannel is a great trail and I'm sure there will be moments of sufferin and moments of Bliss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wow - quite the adventure! glad you made it out relatively ok

just as a suggestion for the future - go ahead and drink that water (even without your filter) to your heart's content - giardia is a worry (especially with all the people and cattle in the area), but you'd be home for a while, safe and sound, before the giardia could even hit (and giardia's presence in mtn streams may very well be over-stated) - a week's worth of taking flagyl is a LOT better than dehydration and or heat exhaustion.

on big rides like you were attempting, in hot weather, I often double on 100oz bladders in my pack - one with an electrolyte drink and one with plain water

suggestions only, and again, glad you did ok - there was a guy who took a wrong turn off the Plunge a couple of years ago on a very very hot day and didn't make it out
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by mild beast
    "That is just how..."

LOLS.. thanks for the information, bro!!

Coyote trail starts at 'Alta Sierra'. it's near Shirley Meadows ski joint. DUSTY.
    Does it have a "tunnel" of Manzanita trees? That's called "Just Outstanding" trail if it does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yep. we always called it "Coyote".

let's not fight. you call it "Simply Exquisite", I'll call it "Coyote".

- Cicero

Only need One
    So put together a mini epic.
    Camped at Fish Creek which was about 20 miles from Sherman Pass.
    Left at 6 in the am and started the trek over to Sherman.Beautiful morning and reached the parking lot a lil after 8.Visibility wasn't that great from the Piute fire but did not hinder the breathing at all......temps were low and me and Kizer were feeking really good.
    So we busted down Cannel.great trail and a mild wind that kept temps down. A bit loose but I've seen it worse.Trail overall was in good condition..Only a couple of flats on Kizer side and no other mechs.Finished up in close to 100' temps but one of the motels had there sprinklers on and we took a quick shower before hitting up the Brewery.Be back in Oct.