member: kv dirt daddies

Kern Valley Bike Park Update

A ton of work has gone into the bike park here in Kernville since the last time I posted anything. The BMX track is done and getting smoothed out nicely. The pump track is all ridable now without pedaling and there is a huge wall ride on it. The skills course has really taken off with tons of lines. The grand opening was last weekend and we put on our first real NBL BMX race. I raced in cruiser class and got first. Scotty got second. (There were only 2 of us in our class). It was a blast.

The next morning my son Colby and I went out to ride the track some more. We brought the helmet cam along to get some footage. Here is a look at the BMX and pump tracks.

Colby at The Bike Park from jeff sherman on Vimeo.

The skills park is what I have been working on the most. The course is allready becoming a web with at least 30 possible lines and we haven't even used 1/3 of the space yet. Most of the stuff is at the intermediate level with a few advanced lines. Next we are going to build the beginner area and some basic drops. Future plans include a several mile XC couse that circles the entire property and incorperates some of the beginner stunts. We shot some footage here to and Colby did a great job on his first real filming assignment. He kept me in frame pretty good and soon he was directing me as to where to go next.

KV Skills Park from jeff sherman on Vimeo.

If you are up in the Kernville area you should stop by and check it out. More stuff is being built weekly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jeff - looks great!

is this out by the airport (and do you grab one of those tasty airport burgers after?) - was trying to figure out where you've placed it...

haven't been up all summer (nor will I be) - no kayaking, no mtn biking
    - bad climbing accident with a broken femur, ankle etc - helicopter evac - the works :-(
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    can you post the address/directions ??? ,is there an entrance fee ????.

member: kv dirt daddies
    Mac, sorry to hear about you getting busted up. Sounds rough.

The park is out behind the rodeo grounds if you know where that is.

H TECH I don't know what the address actualy is. If you are in Kernville just stop by the Bionicon bike shop and they can send you in the right direction. At this point there is no entry fee to ride the skills park and the pump track. To ride the BMX track I think you need to be an NBL member.

Butts Up Fast!
    Im gonna try to come up one day this Labor Day weekend from Bako.

mtbr member
    I'm coming up.. Skills park. Anyone wanna join me for mid week riding??

I'll help pay for gas..

mtbr member
    Leaving for Kern from Union Station on the 18th at 3pm and returning on the 20th. My truck fitz three riders and bikes. Meeting at Union due to free parking and central location. Riding the skills park on the 20th. The 19th will be a full day riding a variety of trails.