mtbr member

Kern - Just Outstanding Map...

Thinking about going up to Kern for JO this Sunday with my buddy. I'm sure I'll hook up with "the Gathering", I'm wondering about the trail options. I ran across:

http://www.nrmbc.org/Trips/Kernville...htm#AltaSierra

Is this the "standard" route. I ran across a thread where some folks rode to the Keysville area. For some reason I thought most finish on Dutch Flat road.

--
    Bill

mtbr member
    We rode the trail last year.
    Paul from Bionicon bikes was leading.
    we took off from Keyesville and dropped back right there on the same spot. doing it again this Sunday.

mtbr member

I think I found the right map...

I think this is about right eh?
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=6730393
    (that Motionbased website is cool!)

Yes, we did Cannell last year with "the gathering" as well. Had to leave that night so missed JO. Hopefully we'll be up early Sunday for the ride with you folks. I was mainly looking for "evidence" to show my riding partner that JO is not as tough as Cannell ( which though he finished, felt was way over his head).

--
    Bill

member: kv dirt daddies
    The first link shows you the standard JO route. It is much easier than Cannell. The biggest problem with this route is that it is more fire road than singletrack.

The second link shows the route of JO and Dutch flat. This route has more singletrack and is much more interesting. The decent into Keysville on the Dutch Flat Trail is much harder than anything on Cannell. If someone felt Cannell was over their head, they should not try this trail. It is steep and loose with lost of rocks. I hope this helps. Let more know if you have anymore questions.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Just find your way up to the next ridge south when you get to the 3way intersection on the fire road and drop down into Keyesville.

mtbr member

Great info...

Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    The first link shows you the standard JO route. It is much easier than Cannell. The biggest problem with this route is that it is more fire road than singletrack.

The second link shows the route of JO and Dutch flat. This route has more singletrack and is much more interesting. The decent into Keysville on the Dutch Flat Trail is much harder than anything on Cannell. If someone felt Cannell was over their head, they should not try this trail. It is steep and loose with lost of rocks. I hope this helps. Let more know if you have anymore questions.
    Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Closer inspection of the interactive view shows some very slow downhill speeds after Dutch Flat.

--
    Bill