striker!

Kenter Whoops trail access in jeopardy

I met this couple at a fundraising event a couple weeks ago who are very actively trying to keep the Kenter whoop trail open to the public. He is an attorney and is donating his time towards fighting this BEFORE it takes huge funds to fight in court. They need the public to sign a petition and make a nominal donation so they can avoid paying for expenses out of pocket.

Go to his website for a form letter and donation info:

http://www.canyonback.org/

Please support this, it would be a shame to lose access to this area.

S

Glad to Be Alive
    what is the arguement against????
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

striker!
    The suit is against the developers who want to furthur develop the area:

The historic Canyonback Trail (also known as the “Kenter Trail”), within the dedicated Westridge-Canyon Back Urban Wilderness Park in the Santa Monica Mountains, has been enjoyed by the public for more than 50 years. The Mountaingate Residential Enclave is situated at the bulls-eye of the Wilderness Park, surrounded by protected Open Space land that has been acquired with public funds for the public benefit. Mountaingate residents and developers received a huge special benefit due to the expenditure of public funds to acquire and preserve the surrounding hillside terrain. Not satisfied with that publicly-subsidized gift, Mountaingate developer Castle & Cooke now wants to privatize the prize scenic views along Canyonback Ridge by re-routing Canyonback Trail off the scenic ridgeline and onto a sidewalk along a proposed private street between seven planned mansions. While the developer seeks to squeeze every drop of profit it can from the publicly-financed ridgeline scenery, trail users and the future residents will be forced to pay the price. Over time, private enclave residents will perceive trail users as violating the sanctity of the “private” community – leading to conflict. Private security forces and gates will be used to inhibit, restrict and eventually prohibit public trail access.

Samsonite Tester
    Localism sux huh?
    Last edited by Evel Knievel; 05-23-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    HEY ALL YOU turkeys that want to keep riders off your precious whoops . Those secret whoops you don't want to publicize , for fear it will get to crowded or whatever. LMA , now you want other riders to help save your spot . haahahahhahaa localism sux huh?
    Well, most of the full time DJ riders access the whoops from Kenter, not through Mountain Gate. This development would affect hikers and XC riders the most. Hahahahahhaa, foot in mouth sux, huh?

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Well, most of the full time DJ riders access the whoops from Kenter, not through Mountain Gate. This development would affect hikers and XC riders the most. Hahahahahhaa, foot in mouth sux, huh?

No .. Localism sux.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is exactly what happened in Altadena along the Alta Crest Trail. This trail connects with the Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon. However, with the building of La Vina, the developers do not want to rebuild the trail system which they were promised to do and are now in litigation with LA county.

go here for a glimpse of your future:

http://www.altadenatrails.org/PSN_LaVina3.html

Stray Bullet
    Localism sux huh?

Has a Kenter local ever given you a bad time?

When I first started riding there everyone was super nice. Even now everyone introduces themselves and has fun.

Localism, go surf in PV or Malibu.

Reels & Wheels
    Localism sux huh?
    You got us mixed up with the OC boys. Kenter riders are cool with everyone except knife-wielding guys on 50's (anyone here about this? Marcio had a knife pulled on him at Kenter by a guy on a 50 - that guy got his ass kicked).

Who is this d!ckhead anyway? Anyone who posts pics of his *****cats and guns on this website is either a wuss or a republican or both.

Hey Scott,

We're having a digging hoe-down this whole weekend and the T-spot 4X track if you guys are interested.

mtbr member
    The only time I saw a problem was when someone drove their car into a garage at the top of Kenter. I was standing there and someone lost control of their (speeding) car and it slammed into the last houses garage! This was around '01 or so.

Like I said in an earlier post; I am very surprised that the place still exists. There are so many obnoxious people at the top sometimes, I am surprised that the neighbors don't call the police. Loud music and trash and not being considerate of the people won't go too far, that's for sure!

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8cam
    You got us mixed up with the OC boys. Kenter riders are cool with everyone except knife-wielding guys on 50's (anyone here about this? Marcio had a knife pulled on him at Kenter by a guy on a 50 - that guy got his ass kicked).

Who is this d!ckhead anyway? Anyone who posts pics of his *****cats and guns on this website is either a wuss or a republican or both.

Hey Scott,

We're having a digging hoe-down this whole weekend and the T-spot 4X track if you guys are interested.
    Damn I haven't heard about that!

What time will you at T-Land on Sunday and Monday?

Reels & Wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Damn I haven't heard about that!

What time will you at T-Land on Sunday and Monday?
    It looks like I am in San Diego for the weekend, but Fiddy and a couple of Kenter guys will be up on different days at T through out the Fri-Mon. I believe Fiddy can get in touch with them.