Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    so now I've tried the 2.1 nevegal up front and 2.1 SB8 rear. My downhills have been a ton faster and more confident. The climbs have been noticeably slower though. With my group, I'm lagging on the climbs and keeping up on the downs. So I guess I'm slightly favoring rolling resistance over traction. The SB8 has been great in the back, no spinning at all on the loose uphills. What about compensating and using a bigger 2.35 SB8 in front and 2.10 SB8 in the rear?
    Or maybe I should keep my current setup and get in better shape!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you need low rolling resistance have a look at Hutchinson Pythons, they also come in 2.3 if you want to run a wider tire in the front. I think the knobbies are somewhat more aggressive than on SB8. They are a bit narrow at 2.1 but have nice volume nevertheless. I've recently switched to Pythons from IRC Mythos XC - a major improvement in all areas, may be except mud but there is not much of it in SoCal anyway. They are very fast and stick surprisingly well too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks to all for the advice. I went with the Nevegal 2.1 front and SB8 2.1 in the rear. The Nev has amazing traction, which grips so well in the downhills, but it certainly a tradeoff with higher drag. Before, I kept up with my group on the climbs, and lagged on the downs. Now it's reversed! Before I started this process, I didn't fully realize how much impact different tires have on performance, and makes me want to keep buying and trying different tires in the quest for the perfect combo....

mtbr member
    What about the Kenda Excavators?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Overall, the new Kindle swung me back on to the side of e-readers in this never-ending debate about multifunction (think iPad) vs. mostly single function devices (e-readers). The latest Kindle (in white and graphite) is a handy extra gadget to carry around. For me, the e-reader vs. iPad debate doesnít necessarily apply since itís not a zero sum affair. There will be iPad/Kindle households depending on the family. Simply put, Iím looking to consolidate devices, but Iím also looking to consolidate paper.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ran the 2.1 Fire XC Pro for about a decade on our rocky SoCal trails with ultralight tubes and 30-35 pounds of pressure. It does well in agressive cornering and braking, but the rolling resistance is slow. Many of my riding buddies started to run the Nevegal a few years ago. I ran the 2.1 Nevegal for most of 2009. I learned it is a very similar tire to the Fire XC Pro in most aspects, but most people will tell you the Nevegal quality and consistency are really poor. Many of my Nevegal's had nobs that tore off and they were not very straight on the rim. About two years ago, I began to try running both of these tubed tires tubeless with Stans. The rear on both tires have sidewalls that cut and burp too easily. The WTB 2.4 Mutano Race weighs about the same as the previous two tires, is a little bigger, rolls much faster, corners better, does much better in the sand, holds air when run tubeless much better, has better quality, and I haven't cut a sidewall or burped one when running them tubeless on the rear yet. The 2.4 Mutano Race on the rear doesn't brake quite as well as the big square knobby tires on the rear, but I am amazed at how well they perform in all other aspects. Their knob design and placement are great for most SoCal trails.

dft
    mtbr member
    i run the 2.35 nevegal UST on UST rims and it works great. i only burp once in awhile if i land sidways on a hip jump real hard. i think they weigh about 950 grams.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Blue groove full stickey in front, rounder profile translating to a better corning tire here in so. cal. Work as well in sand as anything else.
    I've been running spec. captains in the rear , they roll fine & set up tubeless great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brampton
    Overall, the new Kindle swung me back on to the side of e-readers in this never-ending debate about multifunction (think iPad) vs. mostly single function devices (e-readers). The latest Kindle (in white and graphite) is a handy extra gadget to carry around. For me, the e-reader vs. iPad debate doesnít necessarily apply since itís not a zero sum affair. There will be iPad/Kindle households depending on the family. Simply put, Iím looking to consolidate devices, but Iím also looking to consolidate paper.
    LOL... how did THIS post get this thread revived from almost two years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm glad this was resurrected. I love tire discussions. I don't know why; I think I learn a lot from learning about the different tire combos.

I'm running Blue groove 2.1 and Nevegals 2.1's in the rear. I found it interesting one poster found it faster to run slightly wider in front to minimize deflection. Maybe I'll try 2.3's in front.

Be interested to hear more about SB8's traction in So cal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Update from the poster

I've been using Nevegal 2.1 dtc, since the posting 2 years ago. They aren't the fastest on the climbs, but I love the traction....thanks to all that have posted and for bringing me back to mtbr!

mtbr member
    I wouldlike to throw in the Specialized Captian 2.0 is a great rear tire with e Nevagal 2.3 in front for a 4-6" travel bike. I also run the Nevagal SB8 2.0 on the rear and the Specialized Captian 2.0 in front on my SS.
    This is a really good combo.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I know this is an old conversation but it came up when I Googled Panaracer and shocked me because it's EXACTLY the dilemma I've been having. Last August (2013) I bought a Yeti 575 from a buddy which came with the Kenda Nevegal Tomac signature tubeless tires on it. The rear tire wore out so F'n fast that I thought it was defective! My last bike was a hard tail with tube tires and I ran the Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 on it. I was getting those tires for around $20 locally and they would last nearly the entire riding season which for me is from about Apr/May to Oct. Sometimes I may have to replace the rear tire in Aug or Sept if I had done a trip to Moab, or just rode a lot more than usual. The Nevegal in my opinion has mediocre traction, poor braking and cornering is decent. They list price for about $65 I think, but I've paid $40 and $50 each since that first one wore out. Now I've been through 3 Nevegal's in roughly 5 months of riding. That's just way beyond acceptable to my pocket book. Whatever the benefits of the Kenda Nevegal are, they're lost on me due to the rapid wear and high cost. Yes, I know that compared to other tubeless tires they aren't "that bad" in cost. But if a $60 tire wears out in 5-6 rides for me, I sure as hell won't spend $80 or $90 for a tire that very likely will do the same thing.

I have only seen the tubeless version of the Panaracer Fire XC Pro on a couple online shops, but they never seem to have 2.1's available, and they are much higher priced, around $55 each. If they last as long as my tubed versions did, knowing what I know now, I would buy those. Far better climbing traction and braking than the Nevegal, and as for the cornering, I've had no complaints. They may roll slower but I didn't notice any increased rolling speed on the Nevegals, and besides that, it's MOUNTAIN BIKING! On single track trails where I prefer to be and ride 99% of the time, I rarely get to 25 MPH anyway. I've never had a tire that couldn't hit that speed either. On the rare occasion I have to take a gravel or paved road to get to something I really don't care about the speed. I'd much rather have traction on single track trails than speed on the flats. Most of the trails I ride in CO are dry, rocky, gravely and sometimes sandy. If it's rained recently there may be some wet or a little mud to blow through. If I'm lucky there will be a creek to blast through. That's where I need my tires to perform. Big tread lugs and long life are the main criteria for me. That seems nearly impossible to find in a tubeless tire, but I really like not having to bother with a tube. I never got flats with tubes because I rode with Slime tubes, and I think I may have had a pinch flat from a fold in the tube maybe once in 10 years. I like the Panaracer over the Nevegal by a lot. Overall, I'd rate the Nevegal about a 4 on a scale of 1-10, and the Fire XC Pro an 8. I know a lot of people say they love the Nevegal, but I just haven't had a good experience with those tires at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Try the CST rock hawk, might be just for you.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Neither. Schwalbe runs circles around kenda crap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nevegals never worked as a front tire for me, unless I used a really large size one. They seem to give without warning when I lean the bike in a turn. I like Nevegals as a rear tire, but for the front wheel, I'm now a confirmed believer in the Ardent 2.4 in EXO casing. Same volume as a big Nevegal, but the rolling resistance, even on pavement is amazingly low. And yes, they do corner very well. Another bonus is that they wear at a glacial pace. I've got well over 1000 miles on mine, and many of them from riding pavement to the trail, and I still don't see/feel a reason to put on the new one I have waiting in the garage. They are well worth their price.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Try the CST rock hawk, might be just for you.
    What timing! When I read your reply, I had just bought that tire from a small shop in the Colo. mtns. I like the tread a lot for sure, that IS what I'd been looking for. That tire is a bit heavy, but that didn't really bother me much either. The biggest issue I had with that tire is it wouldn't seal. It lost air very quickly, I had to pump it before, during and after a 3 hr ride. It doesn't say it's tubeless so I'm guessing that is the problem, but it did snap into the rim right away, so I thought it may work. The shop I bought it from didn't tell me it wasn't compatible and I made it clear I was going to use it as tubeless. Anyway, I paid $40 for the CST which is a lot less than other tires, at least tubeless. I removed it though because it wasn't holding air. I'll use it with a tube at some point, but have decided to try the Specialized Ground Control 2bliss. After 5 rides in a much wider type of conditions than I normally find, it's traction and braking is really good, much, much better than the Nevegal. It's a more round profile than the Nevegal though, and in corners I feel it could have more grip than it does. It appears that the wear rate may be slower also, but again, I've only ridden it 5 times now. So far so good. Being the tightwad I am, I still don't think it's worth $50 though which is what I paid for it. We'll see. If it's still usable next summer I'll be impressed.

Thanks for the tip, and good call on your part.

As a side note, I found the Panaracer Fire XC Pro locally pretty cheap, $33 for a UST compatible. They only make that tire in 2.1 apparently though and I've grown to like the 2.25 and 2.3's I'm using now.
    Last edited by ColoMtnRipper; 08-11-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot something

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've just started to encounter the issue on the front wheel that you mentioned. I've had the Nevegal on the front since I got the bike last year, and I think the buddy who sold me the bike had it a little while also. Just in the past few weeks I've had it give out on me in the corners easier than I'd expect. It just starts sliding when I didn't expect. It doesn't look that worn, but maybe the rubber is hardening some.

I just had ANOTHER rear tire go after barely 8 weeks of riding! I'm so F'n sick and tired of these UST tubeless tires I could spit. This time it was a Specialized Ground Control. The traction of that tire was good enough to me. Unfortunately, after buying and installing the tire, I read reviews talking about the thin side wall of that tire. Within 2 weeks threads were showing through the side wall just as others had described. Then last weekend a hole blew through right in the middle of the threads that were showing. I guess I'm just a tight wad expecting too much. People keep buying these tires and don't seem to care as much as me what the cost is, but I think a tire at that price should last a hell of a lot longer than 8 weeks. So, now I'm done with Specialized and Kenda. Both produce crap tires in my opinion. I want to put the CST Rock Hawk on with a tube, but now have found that isn't so easy with my Mavic 819 Tubeless rims. Geez, I feel like I have a sign on my forehead saying "Please rip me off, I'm stupid!".

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoMtnRipper View Post
    I've just started to encounter the issue on the front wheel that you mentioned. I've had the Nevegal on the front since I got the bike last year, and I think the buddy who sold me the bike had it a little while also. Just in the past few weeks I've had it give out on me in the corners easier than I'd expect. It just starts sliding when I didn't expect. It doesn't look that worn, but maybe the rubber is hardening some.

I just had ANOTHER rear tire go after barely 8 weeks of riding! I'm so F'n sick and tired of these UST tubeless tires I could spit. This time it was a Specialized Ground Control. The traction of that tire was good enough to me. Unfortunately, after buying and installing the tire, I read reviews talking about the thin side wall of that tire. Within 2 weeks threads were showing through the side wall just as others had described. Then last weekend a hole blew through right in the middle of the threads that were showing. I guess I'm just a tight wad expecting too much. People keep buying these tires and don't seem to care as much as me what the cost is, but I think a tire at that price should last a hell of a lot longer than 8 weeks. So, now I'm done with Specialized and Kenda. Both produce crap tires in my opinion. I want to put the CST Rock Hawk on with a tube, but now have found that isn't so easy with my Mavic 819 Tubeless rims. Geez, I feel like I have a sign on my forehead saying "Please rip me off, I'm stupid!".
    Don't be so hard on yourself. If I told you how much money I've tossed down the hole in my decades-long quest for the "Holy Grail" of tire combinations, you would feel a LOT better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo 1 View Post
    A tried and true combination in So Cal.
    Exactly what I run on a Jet 9 but lately some sandy corners have me thinking of a different rear tire...Slant 6? or ?

Actually I am going to try the 2015 Nobby Nic on the rear Behind the Big Nevegal up front. Trying to reduce the soft sand wash-out

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneB View Post
    Exactly what I run on a Jet 9 but lately some sandy corners have me thinking of a different rear tire...Slant 6? or ?

Actually I am going to try the 2015 Nobby Nic on the rear Behind the Big Nevegal up front. Trying to reduce the soft sand wash-out
    The problem for me with the "big Nevegal" on the front is that IT tends to slip unpredictably on me on loose-over-hardpack curves, of which there are quite a few around here.

When the front wheel slices out unexpectedly, it usually means a trip to the dirt for me. I was hoping the much heralded Nevegal 2 would address the problem of the suddenly folding big side knobs, but until I actually see on in person, I am not gonna use a Nevegal for anything but a rear tire.

I just don't trust them up front.

As for the Slant 6, I find them lacking, even as a rear tire, in the traction department. What I really do like for a rear tire is the Geax Saguaro......minimal rolling resistance, but still decent grip, and they seem to last forever.
    I ran a 2.2 Saguaro on the back of my 29er for close to full year, and only changed it out for the helluvit.

It's still good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    The problem for me with the "big Nevegal" on the front is that IT tends to slip unpredictably on me on loose-over-hardpack curves, of which there are quite a few around here.

When the front wheel slices out unexpectedly, it usually means a trip to the dirt for me. I was hoping the much heralded Nevegal 2 would address the problem of the suddenly folding big side knobs, but until I actually see on in person, I am not gonna use a Nevegal for anything but a rear tire.

I just don't trust them up front.

As for the Slant 6, I find them lacking, even as a rear tire, in the traction department. What I really do like for a rear tire is the Geax Saguaro......minimal rolling resistance, but still decent grip, and they seem to last forever.
    I ran a 2.2 Saguaro on the back of my 29er for close to full year, and only changed it out for the helluvit.

It's still good to go.
    It's just so ironic that I had them take off Saguaros and credit me when I bought the bike, now I may be buying one to run on the rear...I just want more confidence when I hit the deep sandy spots at the bottom of these hills at Daley Ranch, specifically!
    Of course at 60 and a relative MTB nooby it may just be my lack of skills and nerve. On an SB8 presently and my bud says his does the same thing, but that the WTB weirwolfs do not!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneB View Post
    It's just so ironic that I had them take off Saguaros and credit me when I bought the bike, now I may be buying one to run on the rear...I just want more confidence when I hit the deep sandy spots at the bottom of these hills at Daley Ranch, specifically!
    Of course at 60 and a relative MTB nooby it may just be my lack of skills and nerve. On an SB8 presently and my bud says his does the same thing, but that the WTB weirwolfs do not!
    Unless sand is a major percentage of the trail surfaces you are riding on, don't base your tire choice on how it performs in sand.

Sand require a much different profile than hardpack and most other surfaces, so if it's just a tiny percentile of the trail surface you ride, I'd say just learn how to glide trhrough it, and pic tires suit the totality of the trails you ride instead.
    As a 60 year old and relative newbie, you have a lot of other reasons for not making certain section, and your number 1 concern with trail riding should be to get in a good workout while not falling down...trust me on this.

I'm older that you, and starting at the relatively young ge of 44, I began breaking bones on the trails. As we age, we for sure do not heal up faster than when we were in our 20's.

I could be the owner of several top-end carbon fiber bikes if I had the cash I have paid out in co-pays for the various surgeries and what-not that I've dished out for my crashes. Most of them could have been avoided, too, and I didn't have the benefit of your newbie-exciuse.

When I fractured my leg in 15 places, I'd been trail riding for around 15 years already.

So, really, one tire or the other is not gonna make that huge of a difference, when yu look at the whole picture.

That said, I think I'm gonna re-mount that Saguaro back on the rear wheel. With over 1000 miles on it, it still looks like it has a pretty good amount of tread left, and it is a good 'compromise' tire.....one that does most things pretty well, and what it lacks, you make up for in the acquired skill department.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your advice. I will worry less about the sandy spots now. 2 years ago when I started riding again I drew blood with almost every ride but am much better at it now. I have had one major crash so far. Coming off shoulder surgery unrelated to MTB so I'm just about up to full strength again and really want to ride regularly this winter and beyond.
    I'll look for you on the trail...guy with the Saguaro on the back!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2