mtbr member

Ken Burton Trail

Anyone ridden done a loop through this trail. I normally ride all the way to upper brown mtn. then track back down through El Prieto. But its sort of a short ride, heard this loop is around 16 miles.
    Is it all ST?
    similar to EL Prieto?
    technical level?
    Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ken Burton Trail

I've done it several times....it is a fantastic singletrack that not many people do.

It ziz zags all the way down the mountain to the river. Once there, you take the trail down- river back to JPL.

The only drawbick is having to get off your bike several times to cross the river......with less water, it may be more passable.

I HIGHLY recommend this trail........you will never forget it. El Prieto is nice but kinda crowded on weekends.........you will find very few people on this one.

Start and end your ride at JPL.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Rangehound, have you been there this season? If so, is it loose over hardpack? sandy?

BTW is it mostly downhill going down that route?

I think reason why is because El Prieto is mostly covered which most people prefers. Are there any part of Ken Burton that is covered probably not until you get down to lower secco. Is that right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I rode it about 3 months ago the last time. It is a little loose but the trail is in very good shape and very rideable. The first 1/2 mile goes out to the point and to the left of the mountain. That section is flat or slightly downhill. After that, the zigzagging starts and it is pure downhill bliss all t he way to the water. It is not covered, but who cares! I really suggest you try it. Not many people do this trail....it's a real gem. Just make sure you start at JPL cuz that is where you end up.

mtbr member
    Rangehound... i google mapped the trail and it looks good. I will definitely hit up this trail.

I think a better route for this trail is climb Ken Burton, drop down on upper brown, then hit up El Prieto. Have you tried climbing Ken Burton?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm not sure I would do that. There would be too much walking involved.

Besides, the whole point of experiencing this trail is to ride down it, not walk up it IMHO.

Over the Hill
    Go enjoy it, Hans and CORBA has gone a lot of trial work keeping that trail in decent shape, especially the switchbacks near the bottom.

Some of the OTB crew climb it. I have walked it carrying tools during trail work. I might try climbing it during the winter when it is cool out, would be one tough climb.

Dean

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I rode this trail last month and parts of it are very overgrown. The Ken Burton part of the trail is fun (though overgrown), but it becomes a bit less fun once it meets up with the Gabrieleno trail (going from Switzers to JPL) because of all of the hike-a-bike. All the stream crossings are rough on the bike also. Still, it's definitely worth doing.
    Last edited by LowLow; 06-11-2008 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    watch out for snakes all the way up brown mt road. i must have seen 20 of them yesterday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have ridden it for years...and it's fun in the first half, but not as much on the 2nd half of the ride. I would suggest to ride it with someone who knows the trail well (so you don't get lost)

Go Lakers!
    How is the Poison Oak? I can only remember the worst break out of poison oak I ever had was from El Prieto. Guess I need to stay out the bushes, lol
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by danahs
    watch out for snakes all the way up brown mt road. i must have seen 20 of them yesterday.
    tons of snakes this year there
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Ken Burton...

You won't know 'till you go!
    If you survive the 6 mile fire road climb, groove on the single track down down to Oakwild, survive the rock garden and make the killer climb back up, then do the stream crossings. it's all good times back to JPL!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    which side of the JPL ken burton trail end,i rode ken burton once and i got lost.I couldnt find the the trail after the rock garden,It took me 3 hours to climb up mostly pushing the bike.
    i would ride ken burton again ,any body interested?