Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Keep being kind to the folks on horses....

I came upon 3 today near the dam at Hodges and a couple in PQ later on.

The later of which I dismounted on the low side of the trail and greeted the horses.

In both cases the riders were nice and all was good.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

Geritol Power
    Absolutely It's always best to be polite in all aspects of life. It's a small world we live in. You really never know what can happen.

I was in a meeting at work not too long ago. Seems that 2 of the people there had just had a little road rage incident on the way to that meeting. Neither expected they were on the way to sit in the same small room together. Was actually pretty funny to hear one of them tell the story after the meeting adjourned

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Came across 4 crossing the stream in PQ this morning by the ball fields. I knew they were coming across and it was a blind corner. I waited a whole 2 seconds for them to come into view so they knew I was there. I just asked the lead rider if I should wait and with a courteous "nope, go ahead" we parted ways with no incidents. Just like us, most are courteous and out for a joyful ride.. Just like us, there are a few bad seeds that ruin it for everybody. Be the "out for a joyful ride" and don't let the occasional bad seed influence your attitude towards the entire community.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

Beer Please!
    You better be nice to the horsie riders, horses are super unpredictable and the last thing you want is some 2000lb animal stomping you to death underneath them.

I was raised with horses, and while they tend to be very gentle in most cases, on the trail they can spook over a rock that sparkles too much, or a stick on the side of the road, and with a new rider that can lead to all sorts of things. My horse once got spooked over a rock on a gravel road and backed into the drainage ditch on the side of the road, nearly fell on me. I swore off horses after that and stuck to my iron horse.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    You better be nice to the horsie riders, horses are super unpredictable and the last thing you want is some 2000lb animal stomping you to death underneath them.

I was raised with horses, and while they tend to be very gentle in most cases, on the trail they can spook over a rock that sparkles too much, or a stick on the side of the road, and with a new rider that can lead to all sorts of things. My horse once got spooked over a rock on a gravel road and backed into the drainage ditch on the side of the road, nearly fell on me. I swore off horses after that and stuck to my iron horse.
    Yup, I was a cowboy in my youth. My youngest daughter has a horse. I won't ride him but I like to see her ride. Nothing like having your azz kicked by a 1,000lb squirrel.

mtbr member
    I was doing my daily on Daley last week and came around a corner slowly while climbing uphill. Couldn't even see the horse: just heard this lady start screaming. By the time I processed it I could just make out the side of a horse flank, so I hopped off my bike and moved to the side of the trail.

Horse reared, bucked, and almost threw its 60-something year old rider. She was pretty frazzled. I took off my helmet and started talking to her and the animal and it settled down. She thanked me for dismounting and cursed the horse pretty good. She seemed almost as embarrassed as she was angry with the animal, but she was cool with me.

I'm no cowboy but I'm also no stranger to horses. Gotta say, I didn't relish standing there bolt-still as that nervous thing walked past me on a narrow trail. Almost went and stood in the poison oak just to get away from the damn thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hmmm.. public trails. wish people would keep their unpredictable animals off public trails.

just .02 from someone who knows horses and is nice to those that ride them but hates the stupidity that comes from that side of the camp.

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    hmmm.. public trails. wish people would keep their unpredictable animals off public trails.

just .02 from someone who knows horses and is nice to those that ride them but hates the stupidity that comes from that side of the camp.
    I agree. Some people have no business taking some horses out on trail.

Last year I helped an elderly couple. The woman was thrown off her horse that spooked at nothing in Sweetwater Reserve. She was in shock, screaming her head off and looked like she separated a shoulder.

Was sad to see her in pain and her husband fear for her welfare. I stayed with them and held their horses until the medics carted her off then walked with her husband and their horses back to their trailer.

Beer Please!
    My mom still has horses, I think they are beautiful creatures, and can be fun to ride, but I don't think people here in Socal need to be taking them on multi-use trails. If you have enough spare change to own a horse, you have enough money to trailer them out to area's that are better suited for Horseback riding. The last time I actually went riding was last Summer while visiting my mom in Oregon. I have no fear of the animals when I am feeding or riding them, but I sure don't wanna get mowed down by someone who is not experienced. It is really a shame that many of the horse owners use their extra bucks to fight for equal space on the trails instead of taking them to places that are better suited for riding. I constantly see horse poop all over the place at Calavera, even though the signs showing the local rules strictly prohibit horses on the trails. Even the main trail around the lake is way too small for a single hiker/walker to share with a horse. i hope to never have myself or my wife hurt because someone ignores the rules designed for everyone's safety out there.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Horses and horse riders are cool, but why don't they have to pick up their horse crap ? It smells bad and riding / stepping in it is gross.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My dad told me to never ride anything that doesnt have pedals or a kickstarter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Im in that "I hate horses on trails" party but only because every horse rider in Washington is a big fat cock smoker. Ive had plenty of issues from them on trails until I moved down here. Every time I come across a horse down here its always super laid back with a mexican that can barely speak english, they just say "Keep going" and we ride on by like the horse isnt even there. Ive seen roughly 20 horses, all at Sweetwater which happens to have a few horse places across the street.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Most equestrians I've met on the trail were very pleasant. I just wish they'd let mix use into Griffith park. They are the main group keeping cyclists out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    Most equestrians I've met on the trail were very pleasant. I just wish they'd let mix use into Griffith park. They are the main group keeping cyclists out.
    They are notorious for that crap. They do that with dirtbikes and ATVs (well I agree with the ATV banning as well) and seem to be really good at it. We need to learn from their politics.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by FalloutMan
    They are notorious for that crap. (well I agree with the ATV banning as well)
    Lets see... "Live by the sword die by the sword. People that live in glass houses... Pot meet kettle...Goes around comes around"...., Just saying

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I pretty much only ride horseback up in the old ancestral homelands... usually Ahmanson Ranch and Cheeseboro Cyn, and it's definitely a different world in that part of LA, much as it is in parts of SD. The majority of trail riders are competent and responsible... unfortunate exceptions usually coming about in PQ from riders off the Del Mar Mesa. That's pretty much the center of irresponsible, outlaw equestrians that benefit from having elected officials and the ranger staff fully compromised. We're generally better off just taking the high road and assuming the best, though.

There is a new amenity just off one side of Lower Cobbles, made possible by the recent sanitizing of the trail due to repairs. A fire pit with a hefty rotating spit. (Be fire safe, please!)

With a delicate flavor similar to beef, though many describe its taste as slightly sweeter than other meats, horse meat can be used to replace beef, pork, mutton, and any other meat in virtually any recipe, though most aficionados prefer it in marinated or spicy dishes. Nutritionally, horse meat has around 40 percent fewer calories than the leanest beef, while supplying 50 percent more protein and as much as 30 percent more iron; and horse fat is considered an excellent health-conscious deep-frying alternative, especially for delicately-flavored foods that are easily overpowered by heavier oils.

Young animals produce naturally tender, light-colored meat—almost like veal—with the meat becoming redder (from its high iron content) the older the horse gets. The meat from older horses can be tough, though, depending on how it’s processed, stored, and used, but not nearly as tough as beef. Horse meat is generally lean and tender, usually gently-marbled, and cooks done much faster than either beef or pork.

Most American adults have probably eaten horse meat, though they didn’t know it at the time. Ground beef imported from South America for the steadily expanding fast food industry was once notorious for its horse meat content. Remember when the big hamburger chains began stressing their use of “100 percent pure beef” in commercials and ads? It wasn’t that long ago.

Beer Please!
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm horsie

ridin' Mary
    I was riding in PQ many years ago just east of the horse stables off of Black Mountain. I came across a woman lying on her back and her riding companion was trying to hold onto 2 extremly nervous horses and couldn't help her friend.

It turns out a rabbit ran across the path in front of the horse, so the horse spooked and took off up the hill toward Mercy road and dropped the rider flat on her back. I was able to help her gently get up and luckily nothing was broken. But she was not about to get back on that nervous oat-bag. I left them walking back towards the stables as they said they were ok.

My bike is just as stupid as a horse, but it's much more obedient.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Lets see... "Live by the sword die by the sword. People that live in glass houses... Pot meet kettle...Goes around comes around"...., Just saying
    Im not following... Your saying Im being a hypocrite or they will get what they deserve?
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

Geritol Power
    Im not following... Your saying Im being a hypocrite or they will get what they deserve?
    Hypocrite:

Horse people and Sierra Clubers don't like bikes. Bike people don't like horses. Hikers don't like anybody. Waterskiers don't like personal watercraft.

Not trying to bust your balls just saying everybody doesn't like somebody playing in their backyard

So when I hear someone say I think X group of people should be banned then I think "Ban unto others as you would like others to ban you" or something like that.

What do you have against ATV's? They have no rights to ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Holy crap, theirs a lot of hatin goin on. Kumbaya man. Less bitterness, happier lives. However, its a free country, pop a vein if it makes you happy

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    xxxxx
    Last edited by bing!; 08-24-2010 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Hypocrite:

Horse people and Sierra Clubers don't like bikes. Bike people don't like horses. Hikers don't like anybody. Waterskiers don't like personal watercraft.

Not trying to bust your balls just saying everybody doesn't like somebody playing in their backyard

So when I hear someone say I think X group of people should be banned then I think "Ban unto others as you would like others to ban you" or something like that.

What do you have against ATV's? They have no rights to ride?
    I hate ATVs because its the people usually associated with them. thumpertalk.com had a great thread about why motorcycles are better than ATVs and some dude posted pics of NUMEROUS people that were fatass white trash with rebel flags and beer cans on their quads usually riding with no helmet and a blatant disregard for everything. Before I moved down here I was an avid dirtbike rider and Ive seen the people first hand. Its funny because I NEVER have thought about riding my bike with no helmet because I know the ground is harder than my head. With ATV riders, its as if a helmet is just a fashion accessory or they think that their John Deere trucker hat will do a better job. When ATVs are coming, you know to get off the trail or be prepared to be run over because they dont slow down and dont care about you.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

Geritol Power
    I hate ATVs because its the people usually associated with them. When ATVs are coming, you know to get off the trail or be prepared to be run over because they dont slow down and dont care about you.
    Aahh, I know who you're talking about. I'm a member of thumpertalk too. When I was waterskiing alot I used to hate the jetski dudes f-ing up my glassy water. I'm old now and a libertarian. Tired of people telling me I can't do shilt because they don't like it

I still don't appreciate people that let their dogs bark all night though

Apologies for going so far off topic. Rant closed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

We share a passion for...

riding.

With our limited access to trails and all the other issues that can be focused on - I say "Life is short, kill-em-with-kindness and move on."

The trail is not the time to get involved with a detail discussion of our experinces NOR is it a time to assume opinions/experiences of horse riders have been similar to our own [or different]

When I can no longer ride [say when I'm 80+] I will rest easy knowing I treated others as I wished to be treated.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast