Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Just wanted to introduce myself

My name is Josh and new to mb'ing...but loving it so far. I live in Thousand Oaks (Ventura county) area. Bought a Trek Wahoo Gary Fisher 29er earlier this year...really like it. Still got a long ways to go as far as developing technique and getting in shape, but hopefully one day I can join some local mb'ers on some rides!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just wanted to introduce myself-20121018_093506.jpg  

Team Fearless Descender
    Welcome Josh!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Pro Crastinator
    space mtn?

mtbr member
    wildwood park in TO

official eMpTyBRain
    Welcome! Yes, we will ride together. We do rides in your area fairly often. Another place I strongly suggest if you haven't been there already is Chesebro Cyn in Agoura. Not far from T.O. and a really fun place to ride!

b a n n e d
    Why wait? C'mon out now?!

Oh, and swap those tires . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    I'll definitely have to check that trail out in Agoura...thanks for the heads up!

lol that would be great...I'll just have to get my butt into shape a bit first so I'm not walking my bike up some of those hills.

Been researching tires (among everything else). I hear Panaracer Soars are pretty good for the buck?
    Trek Wahoo Gary Fisher Edition 29er (2012)

b a n n e d
    I've never heard of Panaracer Soar's, but damn they are cheap and folks seem to like them! Give em' a shot for sure! Those tires you have on there are terrible (IME - I have them on my Sawyer).

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiznblue View Post
    I'll definitely have to check that trail out in Agoura...thanks for the heads up!

lol that would be great...I'll just have to get my butt into shape a bit first so I'm not walking my bike up some of those hills.

Been researching tires (among everything else). I hear Panaracer Soars are pretty good for the buck?
    To keep it inexpensive, I'd go with Kenda Nevegals. Very popular for our local terrain.

b a n n e d
    The Nev's are great, but I gotta admit those Soar's look pretty sweet. 560g for $22???? Even on sale, Nev's are more than that.

mtbr member
    lol didn't realize how bad my stock tires were. I'll check out those Nevs too...but seems like I should upgrade the tires before anything else. Yeah from what I've read...good reviews on the soars and extremely light. Seems like a good all-terrain tire..

b a n n e d
    Those tire's just don't have good tread for our terrain out here. You'll gain a significant amount of all-around control with better tires. Better cornering, better acceleration, better braking, etc.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    The Nev's are great, but I gotta admit those Soar's look pretty sweet. 560g for $22???? Even on sale, Nev's are more than that.
    BUT...thin walled tires are prone to failure. Lines would have to be carefully picked with thin walled tires. No thrashing up and over or right through the middle of the jagged stuff w/o serious risk of tire failure.

Go with the Nevegals. If there is a 29er version of the Panaracer Fire XC, that's even better.

mtbr member
    Ok will do. Thanks for the info guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Welcome! Dude I just bought a 2012 wahoo, same color too lol. Maybe I can make it up that way some day soon and we can be slow together lol.

Bummer to hear the stock tires suck. My local bike shop is having it shipped and its not here yet but i guess i better start tire shopping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    BUT...thin walled tires are prone to failure. Lines would have to be carefully picked with thin walled tires. No thrashing up and over or right through the middle of the jagged stuff w/o serious risk of tire failure.

Go with the Nevegals. If there is a 29er version of the Panaracer Fire XC, that's even better.
    Isn't the IRD Fire the 29er version of the panaracer fire XC? Price point sells em cheap.

Cheseboro is awesome, and so is Sycamore. Guadalasca in particular...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Isn't the IRD Fire the 29er version of the panaracer fire XC? Price point sells em cheap.

Cheseboro is awesome, and so is Sycamore. Guadalasca in particular...
    Yes, that's the tire. These are not going to roll (smoothly) as well as the Nevegal, but they will bite extremely well. Plus, you can get them in red side wall, which would look sharp on the red Wahoo.

mtbr member
    I ran a Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph on my ht and loved the combo on those SMM trails. Not cheap though.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    Welcome! Dude I just bought a 2012 wahoo, same color too lol. Maybe I can make it up that way some day soon and we can be slow together lol.

Bummer to hear the stock tires suck. My local bike shop is having it shipped and its not here yet but i guess i better start tire shopping.

Welcome man. It's a great bike...you'll love it. I haven't pushed it hard enough to put the stock tires to their limits...but would rather not learn the hard way.

Where you riding out of?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Yes, that's the tire. These are not going to roll (smoothly) as well as the Nevegal, but they will bite extremely well. Plus, you can get them in red side wall, which would look sharp on the red Wahoo.
    Is that consistent whether you're running tubes or tubeless? I'm running tubes right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Welcome man. It's a great bike...you'll love it. I haven't pushed it hard enough to put the stock tires to their limits...but would rather not learn the hard way.

Where you riding out of?
    Anaheim. Mostly riding the fullerton loop to get back into riding shape and its on my way to work. But as soon as i get the new bike I plan to branch out to Santa Monicas and others. Tomorrow Im hiking the grizzly trail in big tujunga and then im busy for a few weeks but Id be up to check out trails up by you in a few weeks.

official eMpTyBRain
    Is that consistent whether you're running tubes or tubeless? I'm running tubes right now.
    On pavement or very hard surfaces, yes.

official eMpTyBRain
    Anaheim. Mostly riding the fullerton loop to get back into riding shape and its on my way to work. But as soon as i get the new bike I plan to branch out to Santa Monicas and others. Tomorrow Im hiking the grizzly trail in big tujunga and then im busy for a few weeks but Id be up to check out trails up by you in a few weeks.
    Grizzly Flats? Going all the way to the top of Mt. Lukens?

mtbr member

I actually just moved up here from Anaheim. Lived there almost my entire life. I've never tried the Fullerton loop...but it looks fun (at least the views i got from the golf course).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi, welcome to the area from a Moorpark rider. There are some great routes through the Simi hills if you want to connect the Cheeseboro loop to other towns. I've ridden and hiked from Simi to West Hills, and Agoura to Simi. Lots of wildlife too.

As for tires, I had agressive mud tires on my bike when I moved here from the Midwest but quickly realized that they were overkill and offered far too much rolling resistance for the long climbs. I believe that more of a Small Block 8 type of tread is ideal for these Santa Monica Mountains trails. I was using Continental Race Kings and they worked fine for valleys but slipped on loose pebble climbs even with my weight shifted rearwards. I guess not many XC tires would do well on those climbs though, so choose your mixture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast