Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zulu View Post
    Hi, welcome to the area from a Moorpark rider. There are some great routes through the Simi hills if you want to connect the Cheeseboro loop to other towns. I've ridden and hiked from Simi to West Hills, and Agoura to Simi. Lots of wildlife too.

As for tires, I had agressive mud tires on my bike when I moved here from the Midwest but quickly realized that they were overkill and offered far too much rolling resistance for the long climbs. I believe that more of a Small Block 8 type of tread is ideal for these Santa Monica Mountains trails. I was using Continental Race Kings and they worked fine for valleys but slipped on loose pebble climbs even with my weight shifted rearwards. I guess not many XC tires would do well on those climbs though, so choose your mixture.
    I definitely have a lot of exploring to do...but I'll have to check out those areas as well. I'm definitely looking for some easier routes right now...need to work on building endurance before becoming a master at these technical trails.

As far as tires, I'm thinking an all terrain type would be best for now...until I really start pushing myself. What are you currently using?
    Trek Wahoo Gary Fisher Edition 29er (2012)

b a n n e d
    Honestly, the best bang for you buck and a great all 'rounder is the Kenda Nevegal. Yes, it's heavy. Yes, it's slow. But it has a great tread pattern, wears incredibly well, is relatively cheap (under $40 usually - check Wheel World), and you will not notice the "slow" or "heavy" aspect of them (until your skills improve). Trust me.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    The Nevegal is great, and widely available, but I think the Rampage is a superior tire. It's lighter, with an identical tread pattern, and is usually a tad bit cheaper. Ran a Rampage for a long time before going Nobby Nic.

Of course, tires, like all things bike, are a matter of preference. YMMV.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zulu View Post
    Hi, welcome to the area from a Moorpark rider. There are some great routes through the Simi hills if you want to connect the Cheeseboro loop to other towns. I've ridden and hiked from Simi to West Hills, and Agoura to Simi. Lots of wildlife too.

As for tires, I had agressive mud tires on my bike when I moved here from the Midwest but quickly realized that they were overkill and offered far too much rolling resistance for the long climbs. I believe that more of a Small Block 8 type of tread is ideal for these Santa Monica Mountains trails. I was using Continental Race Kings and they worked fine for valleys but slipped on loose pebble climbs even with my weight shifted rearwards. I guess not many XC tires would do well on those climbs though, so choose your mixture.
    I work in Moorpark and am looking to start riding after work. Care to roll together?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well right now I'm recovering from one hip surgery and getting pre-strengthened for the next hip fix, so I'm not using any tires on the trails. What I intend to use as I get clearance to resume singletrack riding are WTB WeirWolfs or Mythos XC. Maybe Small Block 8 wire beads. I just refuse to pay $40 for a single bicycle tire.

b a n n e d
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    You guys shop online or at a lbs for parts?
    Trek Wahoo Gary Fisher Edition 29er (2012)

mtbr member
    Depends what I'm buying. More expensive items I buy online. There there tends to be a bigger price gap with those items.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Last edited by Dave Ferris; 12-11-2012 at 11:47 PM.

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ spam reported
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2