Trent the Bent
    Oct 2004

Just Outstanding this Sunday

My Buddy what lives in Johnsondale and I are all set to do Just Outstanding with a twist this Sunday the 25th. We are interested in doing the fun singletrack section and then after the 4wd road climb diving off the side of the mountain on some interesting single track I have been oogling for a few years on Google Earth and Topozone etc. Here is the Link to a kml file I made of it and my MapMyRide page on it. Anyone done this route before? thoughts, desires, primal feelings? We have room on our short bus if anyone wants to join us at the bottom. I just need someone to help provide shuttle service back up as I think it would take me too long to ride back to the top and have dinner at a reasonable hour.

Only need One
    wasn't able to open your file. But if it is the singletrack on the right just before descending the long fireroad it is definately worth riding.Rode it last year about this time.Has some steep downs and ups.I felt like it was cut by a moto.Drops you off a couple of miles from the road climb to JO.

Trent the Bent
    Oct 2004

Thats the one

Sorry, you need Google earth to open it but you can check it out on the web link if you change the view to hybrid. That's the trail I'm talking about. I measured it at about 2 miles from the climb up point on Google Earth also. I hope it's as fun as it looks

mtbr member

I haven't done Just Outstanding and planning to ride it on the next trip to Kernville, but was just up there this past weekend. We rode Cannell. The top was still covered with quite a bit of snow. We slogged through it for about 4 1/2 hours. Everything after Big Meadow was good riding. The upper part was loose, but fun. The lower part was definitely more packed and a blast...just in case you wanted to do another ride close by.
    Happy trails!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by SSspider
    ... if it is the singletrack on the right just before descending the long fireroad it is definately worth riding.Rode it last year about this time.Has some steep downs and ups.I felt like it was cut by a moto.Drops you off a couple of miles from the road climb to JO.
    That particular section of trail... I would say it was more like "it did me" moreso than "I did it"

Many of those trails were indeed 'cut by motos' and you should be on the lookout for them, especially on weekends, especially on holiday weekends.

Trent the Bent
    Oct 2004

Thanks for the update

I will be on the lookout for motorized obstacles. I plan on doing the ride on my 8 inch travel Giant Faith in full armor with full face just in case o trouble. Jfsh gave me the lowdown on that section of trail as well so I am fully forewarned. I am also a bit of a masochist so I am also fully psyched about the challenge presented by this section. As to Cannel, I usually wait till late June early July to hit that one up, to let some of the soggy get out of it. I'll be staying up at Johnsondale over the weekend so I'm thinking of doing this trail as a fun little loop, but the rest of the time is for my wife and Grommits

Trent the Bent
    Oct 2004

That was epic

I had a blast on that offshoot from Just Outstanding. It was a bit loose and sandy in some spots and there were some deep gullys in places but the views were incredible and the descents were super technical and fun. I will admit that some of the climbs were unrideable by myself and my friends but that just spurs me on to get better at it. I would totally do that again, but I am very intrigued by the spur to the right that leads to Keysville. Maybe next time.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Trip Report

Drove for a couple hours to meet trentet and S at the end of the planned trail 9:30.
    Transferred gear, bikes and so forth and lingered around until about 10:00 AM in case anyone else showed up then proceeded to the start of the trail. The temp was pretty much between 45-52 degrees depending on altitude and cloud cover and at the start it was a bit damp and misty.

There was a pretty large group at the trail head getting ready to ride.
    They left several minutes before we did and we spent a little while stretching, gearing up and doing the last minute check on the bikes.

trentet was riding the Faith he mentioned above, full face helm and pretty well fully armored.
    S was riding a Kona Coiler Deluxe, full helmet and about the same level of armor as trentet.
    I was on my Fisher hardtail with a normal bike helmet and the knee/shin and elbow pads I got from trentet in the middle of the week while he was doing most of the work installing disc brakes on my bike.

The first part of the ride was a pure blast. It has been a while since I was in single track. We started getting pretty fast and it was that great feeling where you just sort of hang on and let things flow. We caught up with the other group much faster than anyone expected and they were kind enough to let us blow on through without much delay or friction. The wet section at the top didn't last long and although we had mud caked to the bikes the wheels flung it off pretty quickly and the remainder mostly dried out and dropped off as we continued riding.

About the point where trentet wanted to deviate from the trail I was feeling pretty dogged out but I wanted to see that branch so I continued to tag along rather than divert along the easier route(s). (I had already figured I was in trouble when Mrs. trentet didn't show.) There were indeed some great views. Both trentet and S seemed to be able to push their heavy bikes uphill about twice as fast as I could move with my Fisher. The trail was pretty loose in sections, many sections seemed as if nobody much had been on them although there were places that were deeply grooved. The trail was pretty straightforward, especially for me as tail-end-charlie able to scope out the other guys moving ahead or their tracks. Near the end we hit a couple of places that just would be smart to try and ride but pushed on through and several fallen trees that required a bit of detour.

Lucky for me the other guys didn't seem to mind stopping periodically for me to catch up and everyone seemed to have a pretty good time.

We got back to the vehicles we left at the end of the trail in pretty good order maybe 4:30 or later. We were just starting to get some drops of rain. I was pretty beat long before and S said he was ready for the end while we were still on the trail but trentet was 'pumped' and 'stoked'.

We recovered the shuttle vehicle and noticed it was spitting snow at the trail head and then gathered for some food. Hunger makes an excellent sauce although I'm pretty sure the food would have been good had we spent the day with less effort. It was probably about 7:30 when I headed for home and maybe 10:30 by the time I had the bike and the gear off and out of the car and was in the shower getting rid of the ground in grime. I came away with one small bruise and some scratches to the lower legs mostly along the back where the pads didn't cover and can't complain.

Thanks again to trentet the invite and all the help not to mention the offer of a place to sack out rather than drive back if I were too tired right then.

I do want to do the ride again, although I think perhaps without the detour might be a bit more fun. I might even be game to slog through the same paths again depending on how I feel at the time.