mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Just moved to San Diego

Hi all,

So I'm pretty much a recreational rider and I'm wondering what trails to check out first. I moved from Michigan so I have a feeling the kind of climbs I'm going to see here are on a whole different level that what I'm used to. I don't have emphysema or anything so hopefully I can hack it.

I went walking out on the mission trails and I a saw a few mountain bikers. The trails I was on were more like fire roads though. Nothing too technical. I assume there is a lot more to it than what I've been on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You need to scout around at Mission Trails to piece together a good ride. Mt Fortuna is the major climb area but in general Mission Trails is like a lot of the riding in the area... you need to go with other riders who know the area or do a lot of scouting.

For a guaranted good epic I'd recommend Noble Canyon and San Juan Trail. Both are about 1+ hr drive but well worth it.

Other short stuff is Daley Ranch, Lake Poway (Mt Woodson), Elfin Forest (Mt Isreal) and Lake Hodges (Mt Bernardo).

mtbr member
    This should help you:
    www.mountainbikebill.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the info... I do need to hook up with some local riders.

Lord of the Chainrings
    What part of the county did you move to?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm in the SDSU area.

I went riding at mission trails. I went to the jackson road entrance and just took off. There were some brutal climbs. Yikes.

mtbr member
    Also, there is Cowles Mtn. Part of the Mission Trails system. I forget how to get to the trailheads though. Steep. There is a great section on the north east side, less hikers too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Incidentally I lived in SD when I was like 4 to 5 years old. Our backyard backed right up to Cowles Mountain. We used to go back there and climb it until we spotted a rattlesnake one day.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hognutz, do you go to SDSU?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nah. I'm 33 freakin years old. I have a degree from Michigan State though. Land grant schools forever!