mtbr member

just moved! Please recommend a trail

Ive been down here for about almost 2 months and my bikes finally got shipped down here!! long story on the delays, but at least they finally made it. I would like to get out this weekend, but i have no idea what trails are like around here, or where to start. I've been riding basically my whole life, but until now only in the mid west with a couple trips to moab. I just sold my FS rig for moving $$, so im confined to just the SS hard tail for the time being if that limits me. I'm in long beach and I would like to keep the drive w/in a 1.5 hr radius. what are my options? what do you recommend? trail length? I can look up details about the trails on the reviews if you feel like keeping it short, but please provide any important specifics.

Please consider this in trail recommendations- I haven't been on the dirt in about 1.5 months, but at least i've had the roadie to stay in ok shape. I like to think i can still get a good climb in...otherwise ill just have to swallow some pride and do some walking...

--for future reference, are there any places that allow camping and trail access in the area???

thanks for all the help
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

mtbr member
    edit: a couple of my buddies (dont ride) said that mountain lions and coyotes are sometimes problems around here.. any truth in that around the trails? if so, what precautions should i be taking?
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

Green Mojo

Trails

Welcome to SoCal. So many trails you will never have to ride the same one twice (well maybe that's a slight exageration....).

I ride singletrack trails and hike and backpack ALL the time in all of our mountains and I have never seen a mountain lion. I have heard stories but I have never seen one or had a friend see one. Take pepper spray if you are freaked out on it (though the mountain will have pounced on you by the time you find it buried in your pack). Fact is you are far more likely to killed on the freewy commute to the ride than by some lion. Do be on the lookout for rattlesnakes - I do see them a few times per year.

I live in Carlsbad near San Diego but I ride trails in LA area. Some of my favorites:
    Whiting Ranch (easy)
    Aliso Woods (fun)
    San Juan Trail (awesome)
    Mt Pinot (long climb, fun ride down)
    Noble Canyon (longer drive as it is in San Diego)
    Daley Ranch (north San Diego)
    Idylwild trails

Have fun! See you on the trails.

pewpewpew Moderator
    welcome to socal!

closest trail to long beach is prob either palos verdes (del cerro) or turnbull canyon. But you've got lots of options if you drive further. I'm not aware of any dirt right in long beach though.

Coyotes don't bother people. Neither for that matter, do lions, with the exception of that one case a few years ago. For the millions of encounter that humans have in the mountains here, it's certainly rare and bizarre. You are indeed much more likely to get in a road accident (car or bike).
    Love, Impy

Commit or eat sh!t
    1. Palos Verdes. Take Crenshaw all the way up to the park. Probably 20 minutes by either local or freeway.

2. Pasadena JPL. Probably 45 minutes speeding w/o traffic.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Palos Verdes may not be the best option for SS though.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member

Welcome

I'd try Point Mugu State beach Park North on PCH from the end of the 10 fwy about 1/2 hour. (Camping)
    Aliso and wood Cyn in Aliso Viejo gives you some options.
    Laguna Wilderness on the 133 just towards the coast from the 73 toll road starts with a tough SS climb but lets you access El moro state beach park as well and if you're really ambitious you can cross the 133 and access Aliso and woods as well. (El Morro has camping)
    I suggest you buy the Franco's map for laguna coast which covers all but the first of these trails.
    Have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some other good resources for the area

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/
    http://www.geoladders.com/overview.php

I live in Long Beach too. I usually ride Palos Verdes, Turnbull, Anaheim Hills, Fullerton Loop. Lately, I have been going to the Luge and Aliso Woods. So if you are willing to drive a little you can find some dirt. But you might have to do a little more work with the SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have some descriptions of some rides on my blog. Most of these are probably just over an hour from you. I'd go with Whiting for your first ride. It's not too long and there's nothing too challenging there - it's also the closest to you of the ones I have listed. I do most rides on my hardtail so you shouldn't have any problems.

http://socalmtbiking.blogspot.com/

Just look under the ride descriptions on the left. Once you feel confident you should definitely head up to Strawberry Peak (just above JPL).

There's a video of both Whiting and Strawberry Peak on there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Once you decide where to go www.geoladders.com is a great site to checkout.