Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is it just me or are most road bikers rude? Or is it just the OC road bikers?

OK first of all I was not sure where to post this but since I started to commute to work from home twice a week on the Santa Ana river trail I have noticed that the majority of road cyclists are kind of rude. I always wave and say "hi, good morning' but nothing in return. I don't even get a grunt, finger lift, or a smile. Is it because I am riding my MTB on the paved river? I don't have a road bike as of yet, but I want one for my commute to work and basically just as a excuse to get another bike and get a chance to ride my bike during the work week. I actually want to do a test and say "good morning Azz H@*&" and see if they respond back. Well anyways this is just what I noticed from the past month of riding my bike to work twice a week.

Equal opportunity meanie
    That's what you get for disturbing them when they're in da zone...

You should experiment with different greetings such as: "Morning spandex jockey!" or "Morning Captain Ass-rash!" - If you're going to get the same response regardless you may as well have some fun with it. Better yet, take a que from the sorority girls on the UCSB campus, and go really really slow with one hand on your cell phone and the other hand allowing your bike to slalom bike and forth right in their path. Could be fun.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I hate to be the one to break this to you...but there are lots of rude PEOPLE in all places and positions all over the world. Some ride bikes, some drive cars, some drive lifted trucks with bull-balls hanging off the hitch, some march in parades, some fly kites, some cook food, some fish, some are internet geeks, some are movie buffs...point is...rude people go beyond bikes.

I have road riders finger-lift at me all the time...some even smile. Some still, are trying to eek out another 6 minutes in zone 5 and it's all they can do to just keep the pedals turning.

Why not just wave and not make a big fuss when you don't get a wave back. Trust me, your self-esteem can take it.

Glad to Be Alive
    fall in front of them and make them crash
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 03-07-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    fall and front of them and make them crash
    Gee, what a great idea. Or, you could just throw your bike at 'em and then kick the shyte out of them for such egregious social misconduct. Not waving back.....the nerve of some people!

mtbr member
    I actually, really laughed out loud at this thread! Thaks for making me smile and laugh! I say try the "good morning a$$h@t" that sounds like something I would do. On the other hand, Padre is correct...there are rude people everywhere. However, I think spandex wearin' weight weinee roadies are among the rudest of 'em all!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    fall and front of them and make them crash
    Grammar errors are rude.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Gee, what a great idea. Or, you could just throw your bike at 'em and then kick the shyte out of them for such egregious social misconduct. Not waving back.....the nerve of some people!

true dat....run them over....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Grammar errors are rude.

arrrr.....me doin' me best I says.....ye be helpin......me edmucationsis learnin ye ol time....arrr

edited

mechmann_mtb
    my vote would be it is a little of several factors.

i will give you two of the funny ones i like to use. these factors are magnified in socal, moreso in OC.

1) i call this the retards in the hall effect.

imagine you are walking down a hallway that is 4' wide. there is one drooling retard flailing about in the hallway. if you are quick and deft, you might be able to not get drool on you as you pass. now put 200 drooling retards flailing about in the same hallway. that is what has happened to socal in my lifetime. too many drooling retards!!!!

2) entitlement

these people live in the OC dude! do i have to explain?

when we are riding around over here in murrieta/temecula area the other bike riders are very nice. today we chatted with one nice guy on a climb. he even waited for allison when he and i accidentally dropped her!

of course we don't have these safe havens known as bike paths. we are lucky to have bike lanes, and if we do they certainly aren't like the 18' wide bike lanes you see in OC! maybe the danger of riding a bike on the streets here brings us together?!?!?!

to be honest, people suck and you just have to get over it. put on your ipod and tune it out. don't let it get to you or you might be the next guy to run some nice guy off the road or something. if you want to ride your bike with nice people, they are out there. there were a ton of them riding in CC last weekend!

mtbr member
    I should be offended, as I am a roadie (and Mtn Biker), but I have the same complaint in San Diego. No where have I seen as many "isolated" people as I see on my road rides. I can't remember a time on the trails when everyone who "met" at a trailhead did not talk to eachother, yet you can barely make eye contact with most roadies at a stoplight.
    I ride a $$$$$ bike and have all the right gear and they are still rude, so it is not just a "pay to play" thing.

Maybe it is just us Fired, but I think most roadies have an attitude that would never work on the trail.

and Padre...you are right about rude people being omnipresent, I guess we just notice rudeness more in roadies since so many of them wear obnoxiously loud outfits...(or because being outside exercising is supposed to release feel good things and make us better people so we don't understand them)
    Have at it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I too live in san diego....and the other day i was riding a dirt jump course that runs directly parallel with a popular road biking street. I finsihed a little line and noticed that two road bikers had stoped and watched me. so i looked over to them and waved, they both gave me weird looks, clipped back in and sped off. lol

mtbr member

Somewhat off topic?

I do a 20 mile bike commute 3 days a week, some on the SA river bed trail and some on PCH. I occasionally run into some rudeness from other cyclists but usually it's just because I ride a single speed so they don't think of me as part of their club.

My biggest concern is not them as much as getting screamed at, having cigarette butts flicked at me, spit at, and finally a few weeks ago, getting hit with a 50mph bottle of Gatorade. I have been called a *** (can I say that in here?) more times than I can count.
    I guess those people are just PO'd because I am taking another car off the road to make their commute easier.

Side note, yesterday on my route a cyclist was creamed by a car that didn't even stop. He's still unconcious.

Edit: The censored word in my post was a reference to one's sexual orientation.

mechmann_mtb
    lol...

the WC jersey could be mistaken as a gay pride jersey by the average moron. either that or the parade in Hillcrest is full of world champions! LOL

mtbr member

I agree with Padre, and everyones comments made me laugh!

I know that their are rude people in all areas (i.e. cooking, kite flying, surfing, anything). I guess I thought that basically it all comes down to we are all cyclists and all enjoy riding our bike. Like surfing long boarders and short boarders we all love the ocean and riding waves. I guess I am still new to the whole biking sport but I am in love with it right now or maybe its just lust? I don't know.

I don't know if its a OC thing but from the trails in OC I have met nice people and people who don't have rudeness about them because their bike costs as much as my truck. I just have a feeling if I was on the river trail and was on the ground with a compound broken leg it would not surprise me if they would pass me up. Your comments all made me laugh

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired Yo Momma
    OK first of all I was not sure where to post this but since I started to commute to work from home twice a week on the Santa Ana river trail I have noticed that the majority of road cyclists are kind of rude. I always wave and say "hi, good morning' but nothing in return. I don't even get a grunt, finger lift, or a smile. Is it because I am riding my MTB on the paved river? I don't have a road bike as of yet, but I want one for my commute to work and basically just as a excuse to get another bike and get a chance to ride my bike during the work week. I actually want to do a test and say "good morning Azz H@*&" and see if they respond back. Well anyways this is just what I noticed from the past month of riding my bike to work twice a week.
    OH MY PHUCKING GOD! Not this little gem again. Why do you care whether they say "hi" or not, are you that insecure and starved for attention?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Riding in to work today in lycra, carbon bikes, etc. a guy on a neon green rigid geared mountain bike rode by and said hello. We exchanged pleasantries. Maybe it's just the location?

That, or they're too used to having everyone in cars be rude they don't like to communicate with anyone moving

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Be friendly if you want and shack off any negativity or lack of response back. That, or get an iPod or small radio and tune them all out!

mtbr member

Missing the point

I was reading this and I figuered it all out. The real reason your riding is you like it and your enjoying the ride. Your smart and lucky enough to be able to ride to work. Wish I could ride to work. So the others you pass dont wave it, so what. Your a nice person and your enjoying your commute, keep doing it and maybe some of your positive energy will rub off on them.
    If you smile and wave the person you pass may realize what a aszhat they have been and do so to the next person, and so on, you could single handedly make hundreds of people smile and start off their day in a better mood.
    I vote to be extra friendly over the next few weeks and see if it makes a difference.
    Thats my opinion but I like to smile and wave to others too.
    Keep it up. the world needs it. If only we all could ride more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    OH MY PHUCKING GOD! Not this little gem again. Why do you care whether they say "hi" or not, are you that insecure and starved for attention?
    Hey I don't know what your talking about "not this little gem again". This is the first time I have ever started a thread. I am not starved for attention, I just noticed other people not being very friendly on the bike path, thats all.

You know what dude you must be from south OC. Anyways what the world needs is just people to be little more nicer and pleasent. I am not insecure This was just thoughts based on what I have seen.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I hate to be the one to break this to you...but there are lots of rude PEOPLE in all places and positions all over the world. Some ride bikes, some drive cars, some drive lifted trucks with bull-balls hanging off the hitch, some march in parades, some fly kites, some cook food, some fish, some are internet geeks, some are movie buffs...point is...rude people go beyond bikes.

I have road riders finger-lift at me all the time...some even smile. Some still, are trying to eek out another 6 minutes in zone 5 and it's all they can do to just keep the pedals turning.

Why not just wave and not make a big fuss when you don't get a wave back. Trust me, your self-esteem can take it.
    Agreed!

I recently spent a few months in Japan, and I commuted to work by bike everyday. Although I found on average that the Japanese people in Tokyo are are very nice, you'll never get a nod from any other bike riders. However, that may have something do with you're nodding or saying "Ohayo" every three seconds. Getting eye contact, especially from women, is almost impossible.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired Yo Momma
    Hey I don't know what your talking about "not this little gem again". This is the first time I have ever started a thread. I am not starved for attention, I just noticed other people not being very friendly on the bike path, thats all.

You know what dude you must be from south OC. Anyways what the world needs is just people to be little more nicer and pleasent. I am not insecure This was just thoughts based on what I have seen.
    Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Broken record.
    "Do not touch the trim"

ss poser
    just a thought, but you could have spared yourself by not clicking on this thread... hmm...

and by the way, i live in south oc, Hi!! (but i guess i didn't exactly grow up there)
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    just a thought, but you could have spared yourself by not clicking on this thread... hmm...
    But then you would have missed out on my warm and sunny response. The power of positivity. Hi.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    The funny thing about this whole thread is you spending the time to look up all those other threads. I want to say sorry for all you other people that live in South OC. I am stereotyping people, my girlfriend and her mom and dad live in Mission Viejo.

Peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm with the "rude people are everywhere" group on this one. I ride both road and mountain bikes and about 80% of the roadies acknowledge a greeting and about the same for dirt riders. I think that it may be that the rider is concentrating, is somewhere else mentally or afraid to take their hands off the bars.

All that really matters is that you gave them a greeting, what they do is their problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast