Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Just got back from Mammoth....

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Terminator Z 
#1 ·
The thunder showers have left some epic trail conditions since I left yesterday, so it would be a great weekend to go up there.

Juniper was a blast! The trails really seem to benefit from some rain up there. Seems to hold that loose pumice together nicely!

#3 ·
I am new to this forum and just got back from Mammoth Sunday night after being there fishing for a week. Mammoth is one of the reasons I joined this forum, I want a mtn bike now. I am browsing these forums for input on what I should go with. We stayed at June Lake and had a lot of showers over the week.

#6 ·
I'm not sure what kind of riding I'm into yet. The two bikes that seem to have my most attention at the moment is a 2011 Devinci Dixon RC or a 2011 Stumpjumper Elite. Third and fourth would be a Trek EX8 or Heckler. I know I can save money buying the older models. I think I am wanting a more AM bike but don't know enough to say otherwise. I just want this now to last me awhile. I am coming off a motocross bike and like the airtime but not sure how much jumping I will be doing on a MB at first atleast.

#7 ·
I am coming off a motocross bike and like the airtime but not sure how much jumping I will be doing on a MB at first atleast.
I'm at mammoth right now :) Here is a picture of a super cute baby bear (difficult to see) running away to the left of over turned trash can.

In my opinion, if you like to catch big air on the big bike (motocross) you'll need a big bike as your first mountain bike. One thing comes to mind, Ibis Mojo, HD.

Dear Lord, please help me get rid of this hang over so I can play with my bike. :)

#8 ·
Just looked up that bike.... Looks freakin awesome. More than I want to spend at the moment though. I wasn't looking at Carbon bikes. Not sure how much I will be jumping a MB comared to my dirtbike. I saw this bear along Gull Lake and had another take some fish out of my ice chest camping at Oh Ridge in June Lake.
Well I guess I can't post pics yet.

#9 ·
Mammoth is pretty nice. I was there last year and the trails are great. So nice to be
in a place where most of the tourism is $$$ around biking and hiking, therefore the trails
are marked, lift guys are helpful, etc.

Food is awfully un awesome though. If you need to lose weight visit some of the restaurants
up there.

#10 ·
We just got back from 12 days there. Last Wednesday was the best riding ever according yo my son. It had poured Tuesday night and then about 2:30 Wednesday, the heavens opened up for about 20 minutes. We waited at McCoy and were the first out on Recoil when it stopped. Crazy hook up and no dust. We hit Twilight, Jills Jump and Pipeline too. Recoil is our favorite because of all the jumps but Twilight is a close 2nd. We rode 7 days. Going up one more time before the season closes.

#14 ·
Here is a little flavor. You can You Tube many of the runs there as well. Try Mammoth Recoil, Twilight, Flow, Kamakaze and Velocity. There are a ton of videos. And here is the schedule right from the website. Last year they extended it 2 weeks but I'm not hopeful this year.

Mammoth Bike Park Greatest Clips (June 2012) - YouTube

Mammoth Mountain - Mountain Bike Park

Fall Operations Schedule
•September 16 - Last day of full bike park operations
•September 21-23 + 28-30 - Limited weekend operations - Chair 2 and The Village shuttle
•September 30 - Final day of bike park 2012 operations

#16 ·
you like recoil alot?
i consider myself a decent jumper, but in typical blown-out mammoth conditions, the jumps on recoil seem all over the place (some too short, others 2 long), they didn't seem to build it very well (comparing to the mother of all jump trails, aline/dirt merchant) i like the jumps on twilight and pipeline a ton better. maybe they are better in tacky dirt, but in usual mammoth conditions, none in our group liked recoil (and one is a great jumper)

#17 ·
I think Recoil is okay, but I only ride it to get to Twilight. Have to say I don't see many people clearing the jumps with the spacing they have, plus it can get super windy. They built it pretty quickly last summer, I think the first section just appeared over a couple weeks.

Haven't tried Jill's jumps for comparison.

#23 ·
When it get's windy, Recoil and Jill's can get sketchy. And yes, you gotta haul and even pre jump a little to clear a few of the jumps on Recoil. They definitely need to do a little work as the trail is getting pretty ragged but my son still digs it. He is all of 85lbs and he is clearing the first jumps and that is probably a good 20ft take off to landing. Makes me a bit nervous as Mom would kill me if (when)he gets hurt.

Twilight is certainly right up there on our list, especialy the wood berms and ramp jumps. Dig the switch back pavers too. Once you get a good rhythm, you can hammer it pretty hard. Pipeline is nice for jumps too but I hate to pedal on Brake Through (single ring).

The best thing about Mammoth is it has something for everyone. I even got my daughter who hates to ride bikes (pedaling in particular) ride Downtown and the new set up at the Adventure Center. Amazing what happens when you get on a better bike. It cost me a bunch of money last year renting the demo bikes as we ended up buying 2. Now my daugther thinks she needs something and Mammoth put their demo bikes up for sale again this year. I may get the World Cup :D and let her have my sons Flatline and he takes mine.

#20 ·
Mammoth day run Saturday 9/22

Looking for one more rider to fill the truck for a Saturday run 9/22. Leave the SFV at 5am and return home around 10pm. Cheap and fast. $45 in gas, $45 lift ticket, $20 in fast food. PM me ASAP if you want in.

Brad

#22 ·
:thumbsup:Just got back last night...Loved it. Did a few of the greens, then went to the top and did the blue off the top. Off the top was about the limit of my skill level and I even had to pull over several times to let faster riders pass.

i think I was the only guy on the mountain without disc brakes and one of very few hardtails.

That said, the greens were PERFECT:D and I wish I would have had more time to do them several more times to get more practice. Almost ran into a coyote on downtown. He looked at me and barely flinched!

:thumbsup:

#26 ·
Last weekend

Just got back, perfect conditions and now the mountain is closed for the season. Had a great time even with the mountain being limited to chair two and all things accesible from there. The pavers are helping the kitty litter corners and I hope next year that they'll be on Bizmark as well.

#27 ·
I had a great time except for the wasted afternoon trying to locate "Follow Me."
They really need to post some decent signage for this trail.

To make a long story short, I was hike -a -biking my rental DH bike all around the area during hail storms trying to find it to no avail. Even the guy on the hot line couldn't give me decent directions. So I eventually have up and headed down Juniper. That was the only blemish on an otherwise great weekend.

#28 ·
What a great weekend. Weather was awesome, mid 70's during the day and light breezes and nice and cool at night. I couldn't count how many times we did Twilight. Mostly it was Recoil to Twilight but we did a Velocity run or 2 to mix something else in. Tried Chainsmoke and it wasn't our thing. Sucks we have to wait 8 months to ride again up there so I sure hope Big Bear Bike Park becomes reality!

#30 ·
Especially when they're selling $3.50 22oz! The Epic was good but I my favorite was the 395 IPA. Wish I had brought some of that home with me! :madman:

Its been about 3 weeks since my Mammoth trip. Still haven't gotten quite over my "post Mammoth depression." Its going to be a long winter. Well, hopefully Moab next week will help me with that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.