Life Is Short

Jumping on the SoCal OC Bandwagon?

I was riding in the OC last week and noticed a lot of 29er's. I am from LA and
    yes there are a few here , but in the OC, the 29ers have taken over like a plague.

I was riding with a guy on a Stumpjumper he purchased last year and while
    riding he said he's going to go 29 but keep his bike. Why I asked? You just bought this thing.
    He replied, he liked it and everyone has one. I mentioned to him that the bigger diameter may not be fun at a dead start climbing steep hills. Oh well he said.

Now I like 29ers, I even converted my 26er XC bikes to a front 29er/fork. It rolls over obstacles much easier, yet the start up on a steep is the same because of the rear 26.
    But to purchase one because everyone else has one is weird!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah, there was a group ahead of me on STT the other day. They were all motoring along at my pace but when we got to Puke hill the guy on the 9r fell way back and I ended up way ahead of him by the end (like maybe a minute or more)

Maybe he started to catch up on the luge, but I doubt it. Even so, I was still ahead of him overall for the whole loop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    maybe you should just stay in LA and ride if the people in OC are too lame for you.
    just from memory that is your third post that either questions other people's decisions or plain makes fun of them. not cool. just chill a bit.

Life Is Short
    this one time in band camp

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Makin a bunch of new friends here Ernie?

Life Is Short
    this aint STR where they hold hands and sing kumbaya and beat a thread to death
    plus there are a lot of other forums to post

in another words, life is like a tank of gas---don't waste it idling
    Last edited by fatcat; 07-14-2011 at 01:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You appear to be spending slightly too much time attempting to convince yourself why you shouldn't make the move to a 29er. Deep down you know in your heart of hearts that you are wanting one.

mtbr member
    wow people get really defensive - are they 29er owners not liking this thread? i dont hate 29ers but his post is just an observation, which i agree with. I myself like the concept of 29ers but his post is more in regards to the whole "because everyone else has one" mentality.

relax people, he's just trying to start friendly conversation. i wouldnt expect this topic to be that "edgy"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i am not a 29er owner. its the sum of his posts that appear to bag on others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by -bb- View Post
    Yeah, there was a group ahead of me on STT the other day. They were all motoring along at my pace but when we got to Puke hill the guy on the 9r fell way back and I ended up way ahead of him by the end (like maybe a minute or more)

Maybe he started to catch up on the luge, but I doubt it. Even so, I was still ahead of him overall for the whole loop.
    Had to be the bike and not his fitness level right?

mtbr member
    WebInt-great observation.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrub1 View Post
    maybe you should just stay in LA and ride if the people in OC are too lame for you.
    just from memory that is your third post that either questions other people's decisions or plain makes fun of them. not cool. just chill a bit.
    i am not a 29er owner. its the sum of his posts that appear to bag on others.
    for the record i dont know the OP i'm just observing and commentating on the backlash to his threads.

i can see where someone could perceive his posts as being "offensive" to others, but i think you are being a tiny bit oversensitive. i'm an old guy but dont find his thread about old guys necessarily offensive in any way. what's wrong with starting conjecture. it's not like he called 29ers riders d-bags or anything (nor am i, so everyone please dont take offense to that).

or i could respond with the same passive aggressive attitude as yourself: maybe you should just stay out of the forums if the people in MTBR are too lame for you. not cool. just chill a bit.

or let's just go for a mt bike ride and beer after and talk about it like normal people. surely a random person's thread on an internet message board cant really bother you that much. can it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    jaji-
    my position stands.

Life Is Short
    actually I am thinking about getting a Lenz Lunchbox or PBJ but the only 180mm travel fork in the 29er world that will work is the fugly Manitou Dorado which is only a paltry $1600 purchase, LOL. and yeah a dual crown fork connected to a big wheel really gives you the edge on tight turns (sarcasm)

mtbr member
    go big or go home

the 69er:

Life Is Short
    harleys been doing it for years, this custom hog---21" front, 16" rear wheel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jumping on the SoCal OC Bandwagon?-imagebox.php.jpg  

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Can't we all just get along?

I could care less what other people ride. When I finally swung a leg over a 29er, the last thing I wanted to do was get rid of the 26er HT I had just built the year before. Trying to ride that 26er the same way was downright dangerous for me. But I realize we're not all the same. It's good to have choices. Get what works for you if you can swing it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Wow, ride a 26er great, ride a 29er great, whatever makes you happy, who cares what other think or ride, as for the one comment about the guy falling behind becuase his bike was a 29er hilarious, as someone else noted, must have been the bike for sure, by the way, do a lot of xc racing in socal and see alot of 29ers vs. 26ers so apparently the racers think they are faster on those then 26ers, just an observation not a comment, ENJOY WHAT YOU RIDE!!!!

mtbr member
    jaji-
    my position stands.
    I stand corrected - I guess it can. Please excuse my mistake

Life Is Short

Decided to go 29 in a big way

Decided to go 29r in a "big way"

--not to follow the trending now folks, but because I'd like to try a 7 inch travel bike

mtbr member
    ^ stop making fun of 29ers . not cool. just chill a bit.

(but he's not)

oh.. well then this is awkward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    MT bikes are the bomb. All of em. Even my 26f/24r.

But 29's are getting pretty popular. I've even started to see more and more LBS folks recommending them. I'm hoping to buy a new bike soon but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 26.