ridin' Mary

Julian Fat Tire Festival

I was looking forward to the Julian Bike Festival until I went to the webpage:
    http://www.julianactive.com/julian%2...20festival.htm

If you click on the link for the 22 mile MTB course map, this shows that 1/2 of the ride is on Hwy 79 and Sunrise Highway. Is this typical that half of the ride is a road ride? I haven't gone to the Julian Festival before, so I don't know if this is typical or if they had to reroute the MTB ride due to the fires last fall.

I hate road riding, so I'll probably have to skip this event. Too bad.
    Last edited by OhNooo; 03-23-2008 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I rode it last year, for the first time, and the start is on the road for 8 or so miles? Parts of the road ride are on dirt trail that runs adjacent to the road. It's a good warmup for the remainder of the ride. Last year's ride included the road section, prior to that I don't know.

mtbr member
    I've done it a couple of times and only the first 7 or 8 miles are on pavement but with a couple of short climbs to warm up, the rest is single track and some fire road but even if half was pavement like you think, it will be well worth it the rest of it, nice views, nice people and the last 3 miles will make you miss the pavement, don't forget about Julian's apple pie will be waiting for you at the end.

mtbr member

May be the Old Route!

I concur with Bajamtnbkr that the offroad sections are well worth the warm-up on the road. I actualy preferred the old route up the Banner Grade to the more recent routing that heads toward Santa Ysabel.

The links may be wrong on the site as the dates are for 2007, not May 2008, but I suspect Rich will correct this very soon!

Silence and Thunder...
    That's always been the standard route for the poker ride...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Rich has different routes for each event, the one in May ends up the Banner Grade climb and the one in November is at the Santa Ysabel Preserve, and then de endurance race is the combo of both plus another loop near by.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Registrationa and dates are now up for the Julian Bicycle Festival. Saturday May 3rd for the road rides and Sunday May 4th for the MTB ride.
    Printable registration is now open and on line registration through active.com will be open in the next few days.
    Web site to check out ride details is at: http://www.julianactive.com/julian%2...20festival.htm