mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Julian Death March registration open

Scheduled for Saturday April 10th, 2010. Routes of 43, 53, 63 and 85 miles.

Web page here: http://www.julianactive.com/Julian7500.htm

You can register by mail with a printable link here (this will save in on line fees): http://www.julianactive.com/rbregfor...ion%20form.pdf

Or you can register on-line through active.com here: http://www.active.com/mountain-bikin...ath-march-2010

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    "Sorry, we were unable to access this event.
    Please check back later or contact customer support."
    (from active.com )

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OCD always has an excuse.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Just me
    OCD always has an excuse.
    4/10 -> 5/1

3 weeks

your backyard

big
    boy
    pants

put them on

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just checked the link and it appears to be working. Let us know if you have problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New section on Geoladders

I rode the new section of the Julian Death March today. Fun, sloppy, wet and windy today. I was frozen by the time I got home.

Anyways here is the link to my GPSing of the route on Geoladders. http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=32765

We have added the Banner Toll Road this year. Just to let you know there is a new middle section that avoids Billy Bobs trashed section. But it is tougher and includes a little hike a bike (at least for me).

Let me know if there is any problems with downloading the route from Geoladders. I hope to mark the new area of the Banner Toll Road this week.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    I rode the new section of the Julian Death March today. Fun, sloppy, wet and windy today. I was frozen by the time I got home.

Anyways here is the link to my GPSing of the route on Geoladders. http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=32765

We have added the Banner Toll Road this year. Just to let you know there is a new middle section that avoids Billy Bobs trashed section. But it is tougher and includes a little hike a bike (at least for me).

Let me know if there is any problems with downloading the route from Geoladders. I hope to mark the new area of the Banner Toll Road this week.
    Rich,
    Can you explain how the optional oriflamme section works?
    Would this be a route around, rather than oriflamme or is that a completely different deal?

I ask because I read this on geoladders:
    "The Banner Toll Road has a new middle section which adds more single track and more suffering since the middle section is steep! Please note this route does not include the optional Oriflame section."

I was supposed to ride out there today and skipped due to weather and other reasons, sound like I made the right choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    Rich,
    Can you explain how the optional oriflamme section works?
    Would this be a route around, rather than oriflamme or is that a completely different deal?

I ask because I read this on geoladders:
    "The Banner Toll Road has a new middle section which adds more single track and more suffering since the middle section is steep! Please note this route does not include the optional Oriflame section."

I was supposed to ride out there today and skipped due to weather and other reasons, sound like I made the right choice.
    From Fages Monument you take the single track through the meadow, descend Mason Valley then take a left on Chariot. Then down to Rodriquez. At this point if you do the Oriflame loop you will take a right on Rodriquez where it will eventually intersect Oriflame. At this point take a right and go up Oriflame (for the time of your life!). At the top of Oriflame you come to the intersection of Mason Valley and Chariot Canyon. At this point just follow the GPS to Banner and then up the Banner Toll Road to Julian.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    From Fages Monument you take the single track through the meadow, descend Mason Valley then take a left on Chariot. Then down to Rodriquez. At this point if you do the Oriflame loop you will take a right on Rodriquez where it will eventually intersect Oriflame. At this point take a right and go up Oriflame (for the time of your life!). At the top of Oriflame you come to the intersection of Mason Valley and Chariot Canyon. At this point just follow the GPS to Banner and then up the Banner Toll Road to Julian.
    Ah so if you were planning on oriflamme out, you would take oriflamme, then take this section you posted today.

thanks for the info. Hoping the weather clears on some weekend long enough to allow a preride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    Ah so if you were planning on oriflamme out, you would take oriflamme, then take this section you posted today.

thanks for the info. Hoping the weather clears on some weekend long enough to allow a preride.

I am not sure I understand you question.
    The 53 mile first loop leaves otr Rodriquez and Oriflame. 63 Mile first loop does Rodriquez and Oriflame. Once you come to the top of Oriflame, you intersect Mason Valley Truck Trail, and if you go straight the road become Chariot Canyon which takes you down to Banner. In doing the optional Oriflame loop you do this section of Chariot Canyon twice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    We have posted the revised mileages for the first loop. Routes of 43, 55, 64 or 86 miles. 55 mile course has an elevation gain of around 6800 feet the 64 miler has an elevation gain of over 9000 feet and the whole enchilada (86 miler) has an elevation gain of over 12,200 feet!

The second loop has a GPS link. With the instructions from our web page, and the partial GPS link of the last section of the first loop we posted above, you should be able to pre ride the course.

Info here: http://www.julianactive.com/Julian7500.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

1st Loop GPS done and posted on Geoladders

Well we finally got the entire first loop GPS'ed and published on Geoladders. Go here: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=33049

My kind wife hauled me around in the car on the first section. No way could I complete the whole loop on bike in my present state of fitness, but I still rode around 38 miles of it with over 6000 feet of climbing.
    It was a great day to be out. Mildred falls is roaring, Lake Cuyamaca is overflowing into the meadow, and it wasn't too sloppy. The rains have appropriately chewed up the dirt roads to make them a little more fun and potentially dangerous if you take the wrong line and get sucked into a man eating rut!
    I saw evidence of other bikers out there, probably pre riders.
    On the climb up Oriflame, I was feeling pretty good and I was kicking it's rear end. The last third kicked my rear end though as I entered into the mouth of the beast.
    The middle section of the Banner Toll Road is tough and will reduce you to walking in some parts.
    I was glad I was riding the full suspension bike. It rolled well, descended well and stuck like glue on the climbs. The only weak link was the motor.