mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Julian Death March date suggestions (x-post)

The Julian Death March is planning it's 2008 date. We are looking at a date of Saturday April 12th. We know that the April and May calendar is getting pretty crowded in California but that is the best date we could come up with.
    Any other suggestions?

This endurance race consists of 3 distinct loops which consists of dirt road, paved road, some single track and great scenery. The first loop is around 35 miles in length the second loop is around 24 miles in length and the last loop is around 22 miles in length. Total climbing is around 11,000 feet. This is a nice alternative to short loop races and minimizes the passing and dust hassles.
    For complete details on the event go to the following link: http://www.julianactive.com/Julian7500.htm

mtbr member

This is what I suggest

August 31st. People have the whole Saterday the 30th to get down & out to San Diego. And Monday September 1st to recover and drive home.

It is called a Death March.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Earlier than last year

Rich it was a fun course, but it was too HOT. Run it earlier in the year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by socallush
    Rich it was a fun course, but it was too HOT. Run it earlier in the year.
    The high that day in Julian was 73 degrees. Probably more in Banner but not much.
    April can be cold rainy and foggy too so that is a factor. I have seen it snow in April up here as well. January, February and March are our big weather months up here so I am reluctant to run it then. Hypothermia can kill you.

For reference here is the archives for Julian from the National Weather service: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/obs/rtp/julian.html

mtbr member
    The date April 12 sounds good to me, it could be hot or cold this time of year. There are no other events that I am aware of during this weekend. Will the course be the same as last year?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    August has the chance of being way too hot. April is perfect, except for those sometimes late season snows. Seems the best alternative.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I remember the morning was really cool, but it got warm just before race time. I thought the weather was perfect, but I like hot hot weather more than cold weather.

Is it the same course? (I missed a few turnoffs from riding with my head down)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    I remember the morning was really cool, but it got warm just before race time. I thought the weather was perfect, but I like hot hot weather more than cold weather.

Is it the same course? (I missed a few turnoffs from riding with my head down)
    Yes it will be the same course. Go to this page for course details, maps and elevation profiles. http://www.julianactive.com/Julian7500.htm
    Pre riding the course or paying attention at intersections is a must. I too sometimes get into a zone and miss turns so I understand that. Even at short closed loop courses I have had friends miss turns and get off course.
    If you like adventure and seeing different terrain this is a great ride. If you don't like any pavement riding or you lust after 100 percent single track then this isn't your cup of tea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Yes it will be the same course. Go to this page for course details, maps and elevation profiles. http://www.julianactive.com/Julian7500.htm
    Pre riding the course or paying attention at intersections is a must. I too sometimes get into a zone and miss turns so I understand that. Even at short closed loop courses I have had friends miss turns and get off course.
    If you like adventure and seeing different terrain this is a great ride. If you don't like any pavement riding or you lust after 100 percent single track then this isn't your cup of tea.
    I agree that it's an adventure + a race. It's a great day of riding over different terrain.

mtbr member

My wife is supporting....

Quote Originally Posted by FastDDS
    The date April 12 sounds good to me, it could be hot or cold this time of year. There are no other events that I am aware of during this weekend. Will the course be the same as last year?
    your cycling obsession via here dental costs!

I'm gonna bring my cross bike and try and hand with you and BP.......ahhhh NOT!

Julian Death Ride NOT on March 1st - as it is Vision Quest time.

C
    Not afraid of reality.

mtbr member
    I say early May. It's the kind in Julian
    Team Bonehead Action....Black Sheep Squadron