mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Julian Death March 10-20-12 Registration now open.

Julian Death March registration is now up. Date of Saturday October 20th. Start your training now! Register before August 1st for the best price and you get a long sleeve tech event shirt. Go here for online registration: Julian Death March 10-20-12 | Julian, California 92036 | Saturday, October 20, 2012 @ 8:00 AM
    Our Julian Death March web page with more information is at: HOME

Ridin' Furry
    Awesome, i have been riding and training all year for this!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

printable form now up

Discount til 8-1-12 and save on active.com fees: Printable form here: http://www.julianactive.com/rbregfor...Oct%202012.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Final day to get the best price on either online or mail in entry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

JDM training rides

If anyone is looking to do some training rides for the JDM, a local guy up here would be happy to go out with you. Contact us at julianactive@sbcglobal.net and I will get you in contact with him.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

50, 64 and 86 mile course descriptions

Julian Death March Course Descriptions:

50 Miler: For those looking to get into longer distance mountain bike racing. 50 miles with around 6,800 feet of elevation gain. Pavement, Dirt Road, Single track. This route takes in the first part of the 64 Mile route forgoing the Rodriguez Canyon and Oriflame Canyon loop. Bail out points at Engineer Road and Hwy 79 or at Fages Monument. The last section is the infamous Banner Toll Road guaranteed to take that last little bit of energy you have in your legs! Try to train up to around 90 to 100 miles a week with a fair amount of climbing.

64 Miler: 64 Miles with about 9,000 feet of climbing. For those who are a little more experienced and have done some long hard days in the saddle. Same course as the 50 miler but with the addition of the Rodriguez Canyon, Oriflame Canyon loop. You can opt for the 50 miler course if you canít make the time cut-off or if you legs tell you otherwise. Remember the last part of this loop is the Banner Toll Road which is a tough climb on its own and more so with over 7,000 feet in your legs before you even start it. Try to train up to around 120 to 150 miles per week with a fair amount of climbing.

86 Miler: 86 Miles with over 12,000 feet of climbing. For the experienced rider only. You must do the 64 miler ride and meet our time cut-off in order to do the final diabolical last section. The last section takes in the Santa Ysabel Open Space preserve and is 22 miles with around 3,300 feet of climbing with some brutally steep pitches! Train as much as you can with lots of climbing. Probably in the range of 180 plus miles per week.

A local rider will be doing Saturday rides incorporating sections of the course so if you are interested in hooking up with him contact us off our web site.
    Pre riding the course is highly recommended but we will have updated GPS files that you can download to your GPS and follow the course that way. The course will be marked prior to the event but since it takes a few days to mark, donít bet on all the marks being there race day!

Event web page: HOME

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hmmm, the 50 milers should have to do Oriflame like everyone else. It's a right of passage...

I did the ride in April, but I will miss it this time around (not enough snow! just kidding...). I hope to catch you guys again next year!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I did the 64 mile loop yesterday. Never got above 50 degrees! We got about a half inch of rain so conditions were nice. Mason Valley downhill is chunky but no big washouts. Chariot is about as good as it gets. Rodriguez downhill is chunky and I almost lost it a couple of times. Oriflame is an adventure! A few big washouts from the summer storms and lots of chicken heads, baby heads, horseheads and bigger! I doubt any rider can clean all of Oriflame. Toll road is pretty good but one short HAB.
    Weather looks dry this coming week.
    You can decide which course you want to complete the day of the race, even after you start! There will be day of registration, but shirts will be limited and optional. (Killer hi tech long sleeve shirts with a great logo!)

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    I did the 64 mile loop yesterday. Never got above 50 degrees! We got about a half inch of rain so conditions were nice. Mason Valley downhill is chunky but no big washouts. Chariot is about as good as it gets. Rodriguez downhill is chunky and I almost lost it a couple of times. Oriflame is an adventure! A few big washouts from the summer storms and lots of chicken heads, baby heads, horseheads and bigger! I doubt any rider can clean all of Oriflame. Toll road is pretty good but one short HAB.
    Weather looks dry this coming week.
    You can decide which course you want to complete the day of the race, even after you start! There will be day of registration, but shirts will be limited and optional. (Killer hi tech long sleeve shirts with a great logo!)
    You are correct sir, climbing Oriflame was like riding a jackhammer the entire way up! I am lucky to have found Sam and Lee to motivate me to "ride up part" of the thing.(Was just a tad bit of hike-a-bike up a few spots.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

You can register day of for the Julian Death March. At Frank Lane Park in Julian. Registration opens at 6:30 A,M., Riders meeting at 7:15 A.M.,Race Starts at 7:30 A.M. Courses of 50, 64 and 86 Miles
    Day of fee $99. Shirts limited and optional. Check, cash or money order.
    web page: HOME

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Weather looks good for race day. High of 69 in Julian: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-116.601&e=0

Ridin' Furry

Pushbike class.

Holy cow, i did the 50 miler and it really was a death march. Had the luxury of breaking my Derailleur at the bottom of Mason valley. Did a lot of pushing and coasting down Chariot canyon to get to the Banner rest stop. The kind folks down there from Seki's Cycles rigged my bike as a single speed but the chain snapped into oblivion halfway up the Old Banner road haha. It was the most fun in my life and i finished "Marching" the last 15 miles or so from Chariot.

Will definitely be back next year!

Mucho thanks to richwolf and all the volunteer crew for hosting the event.

Yup its broke alright.

I really did enjoy the walk up Banner hehe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Results now posted

Results now posted: HOME

L&A
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Glad you had a great time even with the mechanicals, and awesome job in finishing the ride with a "hike a bike"! Lee and Sammy were bummed to hear about your mechanicals but happy you made it back o.k. They both finished the whole route, all 86 miles and 12,000 ft of climbing first time for both of them as they always just did the 64 in the past. Thanks for coming out and we'll see you next year! Angie (Lee's wife)