Youth 18 and under Male
    Youth 18 and under Female
    Single Speed
    Geared
    We will be adding intermediate rest stops to both the first and second loop
    Time cut off to start the second loop will be 6 hours
    Time cut off to start the third loop will be 8 hours

We will have the third loop mapped and updated by 3-9-07

For complete details visit our web site at http://www.julianactive.com/Julian7500.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So who is going? After finishing the VQ I swore off this ride, but now that a few days have passed I am considering this event once again. The biggest question is: gears or ss?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Classes for the Julian 7500 will be as follows:

Male Open
    Female Open
    Male 40 Plus
    Female 40 Plus
    Male 50 Plus
    Female 50 Plus
    Youth 18 and under Male
    Youth 18 and under Female
    Single Speed
    Geared
    Interesting...a male AND female 40 and 50 division but only 1 singlespeed class?

i'm guessing maaaaybe one or two 50+ women but a boatload of SSers.....

it's a little like Sea Otter..... you can have transvesite 35 year old clydesdale tandem class...but Singlespeed is beg/sport with 300 + riders starting together.

what about an SS Open and an SS Human class at least?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Interesting...a male AND female 40 and 50 division but only 1 singlespeed class?

it's a little like Sea Otter..... you can have transvesite 35 year old clydesdale tandem class...but Singlespeed is beg/sport with 300 + riders starting together.

what about an SS Open and an SS Human class at least?

Age groups are for geared or single speed, so there are plenty of classes for both geared and single speed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    what time does this thing start at?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shoodes
    what time does this thing start at?
    We are planning an 8:00 A.M. start.
    This, driving directions, and the final loop will be posted to the web site by 3-10-07

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The final loop is now mapped out along with the profile. 22.1 miles with 2990 feet of climbing for the final loop.
    Start time of 8:00 A.M.
    http://www.julianactive.com/Julian7500.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

how many SSers fit in a boat?

how many SSers fit in a boat?
    and is one or two paddles used?
    I'll be there, so thats one SSer... who else is in the boat?

mtbr member
    Interesting! Definately has me interest.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    We have done a little fine tuning to the directions to make them easier to follow. The course will be marked the day of at major intersections.
    Before the race we will be doing some trail work on the Kelly Ditch Trail to get rid of some of the tree fall and make the trail a little easier to follow.
    Dan Cain is in and will lead the group out. The question is can anyone hang with him??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was thinking of trying an endurance race. I think I will be to tired to drive home that nite. What is the camping like in the area?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdr
    I was thinking of trying an endurance race. I think I will be to tired to drive home that nite. What is the camping like in the area?
    There is quite a bit of camping in the area.

The closest ones are William Heise county park and Pinezanita which is a private but very clean and well maintained campground.

Link is as follows:

http://www.julianca.com/camping/index.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    We have changed the start finish area to Frank Lane Park to give us more space and to allow on site camping. This is only two blocks NE of the 4 way stop in Julian, next to the Fire Station.
    Directions are available on the web site.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm doing it
    See how I feel after the 2nd loop.....Can someone give me a comparison to the Vision Quest?

thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    I'm doing it
    See how I feel after the 2nd loop.....Can someone give me a comparison to the Vision Quest?

thx

Since we have not done the Vision Quest course it is hard to compare, but the Julian ride has about 11,000 feet of climbing and over 80 miles of riding. Vision Quest in comparison
    has about 11,000 feet of climbing with about 56 miles of riding. The Julian event has more paved riding so that might mitigate the extra miles.

Dan Cain has been pre riding the course and figures the top finishing time should be between 8 and 9 hours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wink

Since we have not done the Vision Quest course it is hard to compare, but the Julian ride has about 11,000 feet of climbing and over 80 miles of riding. Vision Quest in comparison
    has about 11,000 feet of climbing with about 56 miles of riding. The Julian event has more paved riding so that might mitigate the extra miles.

Dan Cain has been pre riding the course and figures the top finishing time should be between 8 and 9 hours.
    Thank you for the response.
    Why we subject ourselves to the pain of being on the saddle for 8-9hrs blows my mind...but we do it and pay for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There has been a few questions regarding classes.

Both SS and Geared have open classes, gender classes and age classes.
    We will make sure you get in the right class the day of based upon your age, gender and whether you are geared or SS.

If you are unsure about SS or geared don't worry since we will put you in the right class the day of the event. All riders will be starting at the same time.

Any other questions:
    julianactive@sbcglobal.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Alright.....

Thanks
    Eric

"Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Fianl Julian 7500 information

1. The Kelly Ditch Trail has been cleared of most of the dead fall and is much easier to follow. This is a great little single track section.
    2. Information packets will go out to all registered riders by this weekend.
    3. Siren Bicycles out of Idyllwild has signed on as a sponsor and they will have display bikes and demo bikes at the race. They produce 55's (29 inch front wheel and 26 inch rear wheel) and 29er bikes. Siren's racing team of Mary Collier and Todd Carpenter will be racing.
    4. On site camping will be availabe at Frank Lane Park (Race headquarters) both Friday and Saturday nights.
    5. We will be accepting registration on the day of the race but would prefer if racers would pre register so we can get an idea of numbers. Registration will open at 6:00 A.M. and no registrations will be accepted after 7:00 A.M.
    6. Riders must be ready to go by 7:45 A.M. when we will have a racers meeting.

Full details at www.julianactive.com
    questions: julianactive@sbcglobal.net

Mexicali Biker
    Jul 2006

Frank Lane Park information

4. On site camping will be availabe at Frank Lane Park (Race headquarters) both Friday and Saturday nights.
    Richwolf: the link in the Julianactive for camping information isn't really very informative, is there any web site where I can get information on the camping park?

Pictures
    Services
    number of slots
    check in/out hours

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alejandrico
    Richwolf: the link in the Julianactive for camping information isn't really very informative, is there any web site where I can get information on the camping park?

Pictures
    Services
    number of slots
    check in/out hours

Frank Lane park is not a camping park, it is owned by the Julian water district. Faciliites are limited to porta potties, but it is in a nice setting right in Julian. It's advantages are it's location and convenience since it is also the race's start finish point.

If you want a more established camp ground with more services then we would suggest William Heise County park or Pinezanita campground both which are about 4 miles from Julian. For more info on these parks go to the Julian chamber of commerce web site at www.julianca.com

Mexicali Biker
    Jul 2006
    OK, thanks for the information
    Accepting registrations on the day of the race really gives me the oportunity to try to get there that day
    Unfortunately I have a very busy day on friday, so I won't know if I can make it until friday night
    Now it may happend

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Weather looks good for Saturday. Highs in the 70's.

Siren bikes will have demos available. Both 29ers and 55ers.

The Path has signed on as the official bike shop and will be bringing some swag.