Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CEB
    No horse'n round

Juicy surprise in Spring Canyon today

At about 100 yards south of the entrance to the side trail best known as Barrels. 6:45AM today. Try to remember these canyons (Oak, Spring, Sycamore and everything in between) has been the buffet restaurant for these carnivores WAY BEFORE the Marines called it theirs! Keep your eyes open and ride in pairs! Juicy surprise in Spring Canyon today-springdeer.jpg

Certifiably Crazy
    Wow, I was going to ride today, too. I always ride there alone and start at around 5:30 A.M. Thanks for the heads up!
    Carlos
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

Trail Ninja
    Good thing that carnivore got a bit of its fill on that before you came along. As long as you didn't try to claim that juicy carcass for yourself, I bet you probably couldn't detect it was still nearby.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Oh my goodness . . . I know the apex predators are out there, but I hate getting such a graphic reminder. I suppose that's the mountain-biking equivalent of a bite-marked seal carcass washing up on shore. Pretty soon every trail in Spring, Oak, and Sycamore will be called "Cat Canyon" or "Deer Kill." Thanks for the heads-up.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Whoa, nice find! Keep your eyes open...
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm just back from a ride that included that trail -- didn't see hide nor hair of that poor creature even though its half-eaten carcass was probably hidden somewhere on the hillside. Timing is everything, I guess.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    There was loads of blood and intestinal "innards" on the trail. Good 'ol ma nature sent in her "clean up crew" thus every morsel found a belly. Another part of the story: When the four of us rolled up and saw it, there was one other deer about 30 yards away walking around looking stunned and kept looking back to the area of the carcass. We rode away quite quick northbound to our first canyon run WITHOUT taking any pictures, as the kill was "glistening" fresh. Once we completed half our route (R1 to R2) then south to ride up Barrels then down Western (Teote) was when I went back and found what you see in the pic. The carcass was moved about 20 yards south (distinct drag mark). I took the pic and BOOGIED THE HECK OUTTA THERE QUICK back to Barrels and rode FAST up Barrels all the while thinking that cat has got it's eyes on us. Yeah, I was a bit spooked.

Respect and share the trail with ALL critters and cyclists alike!

mtbr member
    I've been riding there for years and never got spooked.....until last night. I didn't see a soul out there at dusk and for some reason I kept thinking something was following me at the bottom between GN and Iron. Never once thought about the critters other than the occasional snake on trail until last night. Damn.......I got chills thinking about that and seeing the aftermath!!

official eMpTyBRain
    Guys, when you see that, the cat is very close. They never go far from their kill. Get the heck away from there quickly whenever you happen upon a kill like that. The cat may defend it's kill if you approach. Watch out!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Om nom nom nom
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow, that really is an incredible find. I get excited if I manage a picture of a cool lizard or snake. We are not the most aggressive users of our trails by a long shot.

Hrmmm. Think my Friday night riding plans may have just changed.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm kinda jealous. I've seen 3 mountain lions in my life, not counting the ones in the Desert Museum in Tucson, but all of them were in the Lagunas. I know they are around MTRP and LPQ, but I've never seen one in those places.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I'm kinda jealous. I've seen 3 mountain lions in my life, not counting the ones in the Desert Museum in Tucson, but all of them were in the Lagunas. I know they are around MTRP and LPQ, but I've never seen one in those places.

Thing is...more of them have seen you than you have seen them!

Whiting Ranch 2004 remembers!

I'm your density
    Meh. It was probably a victim of a Stavasshole flying down 3B while being pursued by military police dogs and ATVs.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    There was loads of blood and intestinal "innards" on the trail. Good 'ol ma nature sent in her "clean up crew" thus every morsel found a belly. Another part of the story: When the four of us rolled up and saw it, there was one other deer about 30 yards away walking around looking stunned and kept looking back to the area of the carcass. We rode away quite quick northbound to our first canyon run WITHOUT taking any pictures, as the kill was "glistening" fresh. Once we completed half our route (R1 to R2) then south to ride up Barrels then down Western (Teote) was when I went back and found what you see in the pic. The carcass was moved about 20 yards south (distinct drag mark). I took the pic and BOOGIED THE HECK OUTTA THERE QUICK back to Barrels and rode FAST up Barrels all the while thinking that cat has got it's eyes on us. Yeah, I was a bit spooked.

Respect and share the trail with ALL critters and cyclists alike!
    I was kinda shocked you stopped to take pics at all..... I don't think I would have....
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

high plains drifter
    Don't ride alone
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That would be crazy to come up on. Luckily it was still fresh. Imagine the scent later in the day...

mtbr member
    Highly doubt anything would be left later in the day....Or 2 hours later for that matter

Gona go do a night ride there tonight, screw it. Kitty has eaten well this week, should be safe.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Gona go do a night ride there tonight, screw it. Kitty has eaten well this week, should be safe.
    Sort of but there were trucks tracks very close a day later

Imagine if the kitty was interrupted by a mountain bikers then his food were taken away by a truck!

That's be one pissed kitty...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know some riders who saw a lion kill in that area back in February. I am definitetly going to be ringing a lot of bells on the trail. Bill

I stopped to catch my breath for a second after descending rusty barrels last night. During the course of the ride i had completely forgotten about kitty. Heard rustling of something in the bushes on that ridge above the barrels and realized i was alone in the dark at ground zero kill zone. I literally roared as loud as i could and took off.

Was probably a rodent or bird or something small, gave me a fun little adrenaline rush though! Weeeeeeee!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    I stopped to catch my breath for a second after descending rusty barrels last night. During the course of the ride i had completely forgotten about kitty. Heard rustling of something in the bushes on that ridge above the barrels and realized i was alone in the dark at ground zero kill zone. I literally roared as loud as i could and took off.

Was probably a rodent or bird or something small, gave me a fun little adrenaline rush though! Weeeeeeee!
    Glad you didn't get eaten otherwise we would never find out your true identity.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    What are all you guys worried about? Here kitty kitty kitty cat!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast