mtbr member
    Nov 2010

January riding/camping suggestions?

Tired of snow and looking for Socal XC trails with nearby or adjacent trailer camping. Prefer primitive/free camping if possible.

Thanks and happy new year!

official eMpTyBRain
    Free camping is very difficult to find in So Cal.

If you don't mind paying camping fees, try Big Sycamore Canyon State Park. Great trails to ride there and lots of other stuff not too far away from there.

You may be able to just park your camper and wing it somewhere in the Coachella Valley and ride the Goat Trails and associated trails around there.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Lots of free camping in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Usually some of the nicest weather in the US this time of year.
    Mine Wash, Grapevine Canyon, Fish Creek Wash, The Palms area, Coyote Canyon, Sheep Canyon, Pinyon Mountain etc. No single track but fun riding non the less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Lots of free camping in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Usually some of the nicest weather in the US this time of year.
    Mine Wash, Grapevine Canyon, Fish Creek Wash, The Palms area, Coyote Canyon, Sheep Canyon, Pinyon Mountain etc. No single track but fun riding non the less.
    There is single track in the Anza Borrego region.
    The portions of the C.R.H.T that do not go through wilderness areas are open to bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Don't know about free but there is camping up in the Laguna's right off the Big Laguna Trail network and Nobel Canyon. The other area that has *relatively* cheap camping and easy access to trails is up in Idyllwild with the Hurkey Creek trail leaving right out of the campground.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    The portions of the C.R.H.T that do not go through wilderness areas are open to bikes.
    Well that is news to me. The only single track that I know that is open in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park is up near Cuyamaca before it drops down Mason Valley Truck trail Any other CRHT that I have come across in ABDST is closed to bikes. Let me know different cause I would sure like to ride the single track down there.

Here is a link to a park brochure that talks about camping and more: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/fi...20magazine.pdf

The Lagunas in the winter are real hit and miss. Usually too much mud, snow or cold in the winter to ride on a regular basis. I think the original poster was looking for something a little warmer and the Borrego desert delivers that. Living in Julian, that is our winter riding area.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Idyllwild has lots of yellow post camp sites. It's gonna be below freezing at night, but miles of fun s/t during the day. Hit up the local lbs, The Hub, for maps and/or riding partners.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Free camping is very difficult to find in So Cal.

If you don't mind paying camping fees, try Big Sycamore Canyon State Park. Great trails to ride there and lots of other stuff not too far away from there.

You may be able to just park your camper and wing it somewhere in the Coachella Valley and ride the Goat Trails and associated trails around there.
    Coachella Valley is a great idea as you can ride the Goat Trails,Hahn, etc. and maybe get a ride to the top on the weekend (very popular shuttle ride on weekends) for the whole epic trail. You can also easily drive up to Idyllwild for those awesome trails. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    upper oso campground off hwy 154 in santa barbara - upper oso

camp here and ride little pine and cameuasa connector, schnieder, techapis, and sb front country

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Many thanks for all the great ideas. If you see a white F250 with CO plates, stop and I'll buy you a beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here's a post trip follow-up for anybody interested in rides with nearby camping:

We spent a couple days camped at the Pinyon Flats Campground ($8.00 no hookups) in the hills south of Palm Springs and had a blast riding Palm Canyon but got snowed on. Then stayed at the Oneil Regional Park ($25 water) and rode The Luge and nearby trails. Stayed at the Malibu RV Park ($40 water/elect.) and rode Corral Canyon and sections of Devil's Backbone. It was all great fun but I have to agree with the above that SoCal isn't as camping friendly nor are there as many biking/camping options as the Phoenix area, where I spent the following week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Sorry but you're wrong on this one. CHRT is generally open to bikes but not in Anza Borrego state park. No singletrack is open to bikes in the park unfortunately. Check the trail map on the park website for info.

State Parks has gone through a process recently that will make it easier to open trails to bike access, so maybe at some point in the future access will be possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntmboy View Post
    SoCal isn't as camping friendly nor are there as many biking/camping options as the Phoenix area, where I spent the following week.
    Glad you had a good time. I have gotten better at finding free camping spots, which is usually dispersed camping in Forest Service or BLM land. Not that much in SoCal though unless you're willing to drive a ways out from urban areas.

Curious to know where you camped in Phx that had good biking nearby. I've camped at Estrella (cheap) and White Tanks Park, and also at a rec area off Hwy 85 (Buckeye Hills Rec Area - free). But haven't found any good camping near South Mtn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Looking through these post just trying to find some rides. From NJ and will be there for a week. Been riding in full winter gear here and looking forward to getting a warm weather week in of riding!!