Thread: island riding?

shred
    Feb 2008

island riding?

does anyone go riding on the offshore islands like catalina or san clemente i scoped it on goog earth and it looks like it got potential
    "few things are impossible with diligence and skill" Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    re Catalina: all single-track is off-limits to bikes.......you need to purchase a pricey bike-use permit to be able to ride the fire-roads.......plus the cost of getting your bike to the island + yourself....

If cost is not an issue and don't mind the fire-road, a good trip is from one end of the island to another.....nice views and right about now is the time to do it...

I don't know about San Clemente Island....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    San Clemente Island is a naval gunnery range

I've thought Catalina would be a cool place to ride, fire roads or not, the scenery would be fantastic. Up off Santa Barbara, the national Park Service manages some of the islands, so I don't know about bikes...

shred
    Feb 2008
    well in the future it should be filled with singletrack

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sant Cruz would be really fun but its a National Park and the Island has a no bike rule.

Dynosoar

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Because of the new Trans-Catalina hiking trail on Catalina, some of the west end fireroads are now marked no bikes. Bikes have never been allowed but the road wasn't marked so we could feign ignorance. Now, it would be hard to say you didn't know. That said, what is open is pretty in the Spring, wet and muddy after a rain, hot in the summer, a great way to see buffalo up close and personal and a good workout from Avalon to the Isthmus and back! It you want to ride past Two Harbors, there is a flat road out to Parsons that is pretty but a bit boring...

But, the permit is pricey if you only ride once a year...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdm. Dabalot
    Because of the new Trans-Catalina hiking trail on Catalina, some of the west end fireroads are now marked no bikes. Bikes have never been allowed but the road wasn't marked so we could feign ignorance. Now, it would be hard to say you didn't know. That said, what is open is pretty in the Spring, wet and muddy after a rain, hot in the summer, a great way to see buffalo up close and personal and a good workout from Avalon to the Isthmus and back! It you want to ride past Two Harbors, there is a flat road out to Parsons that is pretty but a bit boring...

But, the permit is pricey if you only ride once a year...
    Sounds like you've ridden there more than once. I've never even been to the island, but hope to get there soon. A few years ago, I flew over the island and saw the network of fire roads. it struck me a bike would be a great way to get out of Avalon and maybe access some beaches or coves away from town. Is that possible?
    I'll pull up a map of the island and look.
    I don't see Parsons on google maps...
    By west end, do you mean beyond the isthmus and Two Harbors? That looks kind of NW.
    Or the larger part of the island, I see the conservancy and a big lake.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Sounds like you've ridden there more than once. I've never even been to the island, but hope to get there soon. A few years ago, I flew over the island and saw the network of fire roads. it struck me a bike would be a great way to get out of Avalon and maybe access some beaches or coves away from town. Is that possible?
    I'll pull up a map of the island and look.
    I don't see Parsons on google maps...
    By west end, do you mean beyond the isthmus and Two Harbors? That looks kind of NW.
    Or the larger part of the island, I see the conservancy and a big lake.
    Yes, the smaller part of the island west of Two Harbors is considered the "west end". Parsons is a (for Catalina) large beach to the west of Emerald Bay. Green arrow marks it here. On the sat view you can see through the clouds a fire road/jeep trail down to the beach.

By bike you could also access Little Harbor/Shark Harbor on the ocean facing side of the east end.

shred
    Feb 2008
    i figured some people with boats and bikes went out to an island and just made trails up the bunghole but looks like it hasnt happend yet, danm signs

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN MAN
    i figured some people with boats and bikes went out to an island and just made trails up the bunghole but looks like it hasnt happend yet, danm signs
    Pretty much everything outside of Avalon was owned by the Wrigley family, who setup and control the Island Conservancy which oversees most of the interior, and the Island Company which oversees most of the waterfront land and mooring rights. All of the camps and yacht clubs and the whole town of Two Harbors are on property leased from the Island Company.

If people started blazing trails across the hillsides it would be very easy for them to just say no bikes. There used to be lots of feral goats and boars on the island, the Conservancy didn't like what they were doing so they used gunmen in helicopters to "take care of the problem". Guess what I'm sayin is, don't stray from the road over there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Yes, the smaller part of the island west of Two Harbors is considered the "west end". Parsons is a (for Catalina) large beach to the west of Emerald Bay. Green arrow marks it here. On the sat view you can see through the clouds a fire road/jeep trail down to the beach.

By bike you could also access Little Harbor/Shark Harbor on the ocean facing side of the east end.
    Thank You!

wawe member
    Thank You!
    You're welcome! I ran the "high adventure" program at Emerald Bay during the summers when I was in college (early '90s) so I've hiked/biked/snorkeled/canoed most of the west end, easy answers for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It is a shame that there isn't better bike access or more trails. Maybe if more bikes came over, the conservancy would consider making it a bike destination! Yeah, I am not holding my breath. Definately come in the Spring - it is beautiful, even from the fireroads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdm. Dabalot
    It is a shame that there isn't better bike access or more trails. Maybe if more bikes came over, the conservancy would consider making it a bike destination! Yeah, I am not holding my breath. Definately come in the Spring - it is beautiful, even from the fireroads.
    The IMBA was responsible for getting the Renton Mine Rd, East End Rd, and Divide Rd open to bikes. I think they negotiated with the Catalina Conservancy for access, and I remember there being announcements from IMBA and the CC when those roads opened. Before that, the only way out of Avalon by bike was the paved road to East Summit.

Opening even more roads might be possible but I would suggest promoting it through the IMBA. There are some other suitable roads that could be opened but they are steeper and the CC seems to equate steepness with unsuitability for bikes.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    I've ridden the isle many times, combined the Jazz fest with rides by day. Although it is not a challenging technical ride, Avalon to Two Harbors is a fun 33 mile ride. It took us about a total of 5 hours to get there. Then we took the 3:30 boat back to Avalon after spending the early afternoon on the beach enjoying lunch and a brew. When you go, stop at the airport and eat, then continue on. Great views and endless fresh air, not a destination worthy ride, but heck, if you are on Catalina . . . might as well! There are some photos in my gallery here on mtbr from riding Catalina.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    CEB, Econoline, Mdm Dabalot,

Thanks,

I'm checking out CEB's photos now. I like that middle one of the rocky cove. Sounds like a fun ride with a water taxi back. Even that sinuous fire road looks a little fun; climbing would be work, but letting it rip on a downhill would be fun. The bison looks scary; saw those last summer in Wyoming and South Dakota, and they are imposing even from inside a SUV.

Kudos to IMBA and the conservancy for opening up a few roads. They should open more. I see an eco-tourism angle. I would love to be able to come ride, snorkel, and camp or hotel it

wawe member
    I'm checking out CEB's photos now. I like that middle one of the rocky cove. Sounds like a fun ride with a water taxi back.
    rocky cove = Little Harbor and Shark Harbor

I've sure you'd figure it out, (hopefully before jumping in a taxi and saying "Avalon, please") but FYI the water taxis in Two Harbors service the moorings and camps from there to Emerald Bay. To get to Avalon you need a Two Harbors->Avalon run on one of the cross channel boats like Catalina Express. Get aboard, order a "Buffalo Milk", and get a good seat on the right hand side of the boat.

mtbr member
    Anyone going to the Catalina Island Grand Fono?

I'll come down from Idaho on Friday May 11 and stay 'till Sunday.
    If anyone would like to share a Tent cabin drop me a PM.