mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Irvine Park Trails

Well, I went ony my first ride today (saturday) and I had a good time. It was a great workout, very fun, and I'm definetley looking forward to going tomorrow. But... there are always buts right... The trail I rode today was in Irvine Park in Orange County (horseshoe trail if anyone knows about it) and it was pretty lowsy I thought. Granted I have nothing to compare it to, but still, pretty lousy. I felt like I was constantly peddling up hill, and then coming down hill for two minutes - literally, I timed it. needless to say it wasn't very long. So I did this trail 3 times, and then left. Are there any trails close by (orange) that someone can recommend to a beginner? Or maybe a trail that someone else started on and got hooked on the sport right then and there?

Another thing - I think I need a helmet. There were a few times I was thinking that if I were to fall right now, I would be toast.

Thanks everyone.

Old Enough to Know Better
    Jan 2004
    Yes, you need a helmet. Seriously.

Have someone take you to Santiago Truck Trail, but don't let them take you down the Luge. In fact, it might be best if they took you to the top of the hill just before the Luge, then turn around and ride back. Great beginer ride!

Finally, on any ride that starts and ends at the same point, it will take at least three times as long to do the climbing as it will to do the descending.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, I don't really know anyone around that could take me to the luge.... where is the Santiago Truck Trail? and hwo will I know where the Luge is? Is this trail a summit and then right back down?

Play all day
    Irvine park connects to Santiago Oaks, where you ride up the three b*tches up to robbers peak and then you get to go down some sweet single track and drop down one of the technical downhills. Try Chutes. Fun place to ride, but you definitely need a helmet if you go there. http://www.cox.com/oc/cci/events/tra...tiago-weir.asp. You can also try Peter's Canyon which is in the area too. There isn't all that much there, but it's a bit more than the Irvine Park's trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrath0087
    Well, I went ony my first ride today (saturday) and I had a good time. It was a great workout, very fun, and I'm definetley looking forward to going tomorrow. But... there are always buts right... The trail I rode today was in Irvine Park in Orange County (horseshoe trail if anyone knows about it) and it was pretty lowsy I thought. Granted I have nothing to compare it to, but still, pretty lousy. I felt like I was constantly peddling up hill, and then coming down hill for two minutes - literally, I timed it. needless to say it wasn't very long. So I did this trail 3 times, and then left. Are there any trails close by (orange) that someone can recommend to a beginner? Or maybe a trail that someone else started on and got hooked on the sport right then and there?

Another thing - I think I need a helmet. There were a few times I was thinking that if I were to fall right now, I would be toast.

Thanks everyone.
    I agree with Grandpa. YES!!! You need a helmet. A good beginner trail thats very close to Orange and matter of fact I think its in the city of Orange is Peters Canyon.

heres the link for directions.
    http://www.ronbigelow.com/trails/pet...directions.txt

Remember its for beginners if you want something harder go elsewhere.

sorry for the posting the same info. u beat me to the punch by 2 minutes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply's everyone. I'll check out Peter's Canyon tomorrow. And maybe the santiago oaks trails. I'll be getting a helmet tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Ron bigelow

The ronbigelow website... it that pretty up to date and accurate with directions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Peters Canyon is a good beginner park and where I learned to ride. It's a county park, so you can look it up. Located in Tustin Ranch, not far from Irvine Park.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I wouldn't mind do any mnt biking w/o a helmet. I feel naked w/o one. Anyways, I'd agree with the others in recommending the Santiago Truck Trail/ The LUge (I call it Modjeska Grade). To get there, coming out of Irvine Park, (on Jamboree) make a LEFT on Chapman (away from the 55 fwy) and keep going through the canyon. It's 10 miles or so. (I think Chapman turns into Santiago Canyon Road). At Modjeska Grade.... it's on your left and there is a flagpole at the corner, make a left and park on the side of the hilll. The trailhead is almost at the top of the short steep hill. You can go half way and down to the Luge or you can go all the way up to Old Camp and back down (It's 16 miles to Old Camp and back). This is my favorite beginner course. YES, it's climbing, but it's gradual and rolling so it doesn't feel like a strenuous climb. Oh... you'll know you hit the luge when you see the flagpole and trail going down on your right. It's a short fun downhill, and then you go up briefly until you get to the main road, where you'll go down to Cooks Corner (A biker joint) and make a right to get back to your car. Go on a Saturday morning and you're sure to find people there to follow. I know there's a group that rides it Tues and Thurs nights at 6pm. Never ridden with them though. OH... one last thing. I learned how to mnt bike at Carbon Canyon (North Orange County... Brea/ Lambert area. On the Brea side of the park there's fire road and on the Chino Hills side you'll find more single track. Ok... This is getting long. Hope that helps. Hafe fun. ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Buy A Helmet.

You can get a pretty good helmet for around $30 bucks at a bike shop. Just buy any named brand like specialized, giro, bell etc. They all have the same protection pretty much as the high end ones. They may just not have as many vents and may be a little heavier.

Definitely goto Peter's Canyon. It's got some short steep hills to work on your climbing skills. Just watch the rain ruts that have also grown due to the recent rains.

Whiting Ranch in Lake Forest is another beginner type trail. Mustard Hill will be a pain in the arse the first time but the it's got one of the funnest non-technical downhills around.

If you live in Orange, hopefully they'll open Santiago Oaks (Not the Santiago Truck Trail/Luge) soon. It's got some fun riding after you make it up the three B's (3 steep hills). You can enter Santiago Oaks from Irvine park and then make a 1.5hr. loop up the 3 B's and down Chutes. I'd get a little more experience before trying this one. Chutes has some small 6" - 1ft rock gardens and drops. But it's not too bad. There's also lots of other more technical trails up here and some cool drops and jumps built at the top of the 3 B's.

Santiago Truck Trail is a good option too. Park at Cook's and ride back on Santiago Rd. till you see Modgeska (1.5mi from cook's). Ride up Modgeska to the trail head. Take the fire road all the way to the Flagpole. The Luge will be on your right at the bottom of the pole. You can turn around here and go back the way you came to avoid the luge. Still a fun return trip!

I think Team Basso offers some good group rides. I'm not a member but I know they welcome riders of all skill levels.

Have fun and NEVER ride w/out a helmet. I've seen a lot of guys crash when they least expect it and were saved by the Helmet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

check this site

http://www.socaltrailriders.org

It's a pretty good site for local OC guys.

Over the Hill
    I do not agree with sending a beginner up STT. Peters Canyon is a good choice...Aliso Canyon out Woods Canyon also a safe choice. Turn around at Cholla and if things OK to the way back try out the single track on Coyote.

Waiting to exhale.
    I think Stt is a good beginner trail. Also, you might want to take a look at Fullerton loop. Its a pretty easy trail but the scenery changes and its not all climbing. You might want to have some one show you around cause for the first time its easy to loose sight of the trail. There's so many options for fullerton loop.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Glad to Be Alive
    Get a Helmet...tere are many trails. When you hate pedaling uphill, then you just might be a DH'er
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

My Take on Parkers Canyon

As I said above, I was going to try out parkers canyon today. I did and I have to say, it was way better than my first jaunt at irvine park. Some of these trails ive been doing research on seem like they may be difficult to find, but this one was no problem, thanks to whoever posted the directions. So, I got to the trail head and immediately liked the trail much better. I came up to the first downhill area which i thought, as the young kids say, hella fun. and then the steep uphil climb sucked but, i managed fine. definetely a good workout. I stopped briefly and continued through a twisting downhill run that at times was a little scary, but very cool (glad I got the helmet). It was a little short, but you could just do it again right? as far as uphill climbing, its not that I don't mind it, I would just rather have some variation other than constant uphill, and very short downhill, ya know. I'm a little out a shape, right. Overall though, it looks like I'll be enjoying the sport much more than I intially thought after irvine park. Thanks everybody for the replies... maybe I'll see some people from this site out there. I could always use somebody to ride with. I drive a blue jetta <-- lame for bike riding i know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

bike selection?

One question for everyone responding... for the type of riding that has been suggested and that I have done already, would it be best to invest in a hardtail type bike or a full suspension. Right now, I am riding a bike a friend who got out of the sport Giant rincon bike. I think i want to get my own.... by the way, is it normal that when Im peddling hard, the front suspension just bobs up and down? I seem to be doing more work going up and down than forward. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrath0087
    One question for everyone responding... for the type of riding that has been suggested and that I have done already, would it be best to invest in a hardtail type bike or a full suspension. Right now, I am riding a bike a friend who got out of the sport Giant rincon bike. I think i want to get my own.... by the way, is it normal that when Im peddling hard, the front suspension just bobs up and down? I seem to be doing more work going up and down than forward. Thanks all.
    Your fork shouldn't bob too much when you are pedalling. If it does, it needs more pre-load or some other adjustment. Full sus is nice if you really get into the sport and do lots of rough tricky stuff. but for less money, you can get a very nice, light, high quality hard tail that you can do very well with.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Peter's Canyon is a good place to learn. Do watch out for the occasional loose sandy spots.