mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Iron Mountain Is Being Sanitized By The City Of Poway

They just started, so please let them know how you feel about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hopefully some MTBR's have already taken a lot of geo-tagged photos of the trail before the project so you can visually demonstrate the changes being made and explain why those changes are damaging. Even better if the changes being made trigger some CEQA requirement that the city hasn't yet completed.

Beer Please!
    I would never ride that trail anyway, too many hikers out there.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Try it midweek in the AM and you will not see many if any at all. I have found a bell goes a long ways on that trail too. Besides, get off the main and play over on the Ellie Lane side if you want to be on desolate trail.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A bell is a must at Iron Mtn and Mt Woodson. The hikers all seem to appreciate it and almost always step aside, many have actually thanked me for using a bell.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    A bell is a must on any multi-use trail.
    Fixed that for you. ;-)

I have never done Iron Mountain in the AM mid-week, because I work during those times. I have hiked Iron Mountain a number of times on weekends and once at night, and during those times it seems that hikers are everywhere, and thus I have never thought it would be a good idea to try it on my bike during any time I would be able to head down there.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    So, sad....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    C'mon man - just cuz you don't ride it doesn't mean others don't. And, who's to say you won't find yourself in a situation where you'll be riding it someday (hopefully not thinking "this would be pretty cool if it weren't just a dg path").

I <3 Dirt
    I've ridden on busy weekends and the hikers are actually really cool and most are just surprised people actually ride Iron Mtn. They usually get off the side of the trail and encourage us as we roll by. The only bummer is that there's little flow since you're constantly slowing doing to be courteous to hikers.

Life Is Short
    Look for sanitation-sanitizing to happen everywhere. It may be from a municipality
    (law suit scared) or from a lot of users--hikers and bikers. Even in Big Bear, most of the ST I've been riding on during the 90's aren't as rocky as they were back then. I guess it just happens. In fact my local fireroads are almost like dirt streets now.
    Moving to Colorado may help, but its too damn cold over there.
    Ride More, Eat More

No dabs.
    What is odd to me is that all this work is being done at Iron Mtn while the Warren Canyon Trail alongside the southern base of Woodson has been completely ignored for over two decades. Some sections are unsustainably steep and have rutted so badly it is difficult to even walk or sometimes even see where the trail goes. Many sections are so badly overgrown it is difficult to pull yourself through. I sent an email to him requesting that no work be done on Ellie that would alter the rugged nature of the trail, and that if they have workers available, they be directed to where they are needed: Warren Canyon.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Look for sanitation-sanitizing to happen everywhere. It may be from a municipality (law suit scared) or from a lot of users--hikers and bikers.
    While the paved roads become more treacherous due to lack of maintenance. Nice attention to priorities.

A couple years back, the same year as the prior Iron Mtn insanitization, some crews went up on Cowles Mtn and cleared a crapload of rocks off the hiking-only trail. Too many helicopter rescues of people breaking their ankles, perhaps.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post
    C'mon man - just cuz you don't ride it doesn't mean others don't. And, who's to say you won't find yourself in a situation where you'll be riding it someday (hopefully not thinking "this would be pretty cool if it weren't just a dg path").
    I am not saying I want it sanitized, I happen to like the rocks and such when I do go climb it. I just don't think riding a trail that constantly has that many people hiking it would be a very fun ride.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Personally i dont have a problem with what you all refer to as "sanitizing".

I for one don't own a 29er so i dont feel terribly comfortable on rocky terrain. i have always wanted to ride iron mountain and if sanitizing allows me to ride it i then support those efforts. sorry if you dont agree

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post

I for one don't own a 29er so i dont feel terribly comfortable on rocky terrain. i have always wanted to ride iron mountain and if sanitizing allows me to ride it i then support those efforts. sorry if you dont agree

Being a old fart, I don't have the legs and body to handle that trail the way it was but I hate to see it go. I, like all the others that can't handle the trail can choose to go somewhere else for my ride and leave the harder trails to those that can. Just like everything else in this world, dumb it down so everyone can do it, Don't have everyone step up to the challenge.
    When I'm watching TV and don't like the channel I just change it
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I also don't own a 29er and love the trail the way it is. The first time I rode it I had a hard time with most of the technical sections and didn't have a whole lot of fun. It gave me motivation to work on my technical riding skills and I was able to improve each time I rode it. It is easy for someone who doesn't like rocky terrain to walk the most difficult sections, but impossible to make the trail more technical once it has been sanitized. That is why I am against the sanitization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post

Seriously? There are plenty of other trails to ride if you don't like technical terrain, but there are very few with this type of riding. Not trying to pick a fight, but why not pave all the trails so that everyone can ride them? There is a very slippery slope here.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Seriously? There are plenty of other trails to ride if you don't like technical terrain, but there are very few with this type of riding. Not trying to pick a fight, but why not pave all the trails so that everyone can ride them? There is a very slippery slope here.
    No, he is not serious! You fell for it, now go bow your head in shame. Fo is actually a solid rider.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    why do you need a 29er? or full suspension?

the first time I rode Iron Mountain with Ellie Lane was on my Hardtail with a 3 inch travel fork.

Could I clear everything? No. did I just walk what I couldn't ride? Yes.

do I want it sanitized so I could ride the whole thing? Not a chance!

just because something is difficult for you doesn't mean it should be sanitized. you get off and walk until you learn how to ride that section. you don't reroute a trail or smooth it out just so you can clear it.

YR

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Just spent the weekend from Norcal enjoying sanitized Iron Mt, Ellie, Anderson and World Cup on a rigid 29erSS. Of course it would have been a little more fun with some squish but had a great time. I came away unscathed on the outside but head-to-toe happy hurt inside. If you like the chunk, look me up when your up north.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.