Thread: Inspiring story

Team Chilidog!

Good job! Inspiring story

I was living in Pasadena when this happened, so I'm glad to hear that Anne Hjelle is still riding.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5103614.story

Major props to her.

X-posted to NorCal (mountain lion talk comes up there all the time)

EDIT: Leaving in Pas is not the same as "living."
    Last edited by Stripes; 05-15-2008 at 02:31 PM.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    I've always been awestruck by her strength and that of Debbie Nichols.

Until today, I had not seen some of those photos in the slides, and it put chills up my spine.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Wow. I remember seeing her on a television interview a few years back and was very impressed. I hope to meet her on a trail someday. Very courageous.

i can't type the letter s
    Thanks for the link stripes. Don't miss the audio slideshow people. The aftermath photo is pretty gruesome. Great story.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Wow. I remember seeing her on a television interview a few years back and was very impressed. I hope to meet her on a trail someday. Very courageous.
    I also have seen her interviewed before. She was also in a T.V. show about getting over an animal attack. They told her story and she was brought face to face with a tame Mountain Lion. She was very humbled and appreciated and respected the power and beauty of the amazing creature. And she held no ill feelings toward the lion that attacked her or the species. In my opinion she is a very courageous and incredible person and I wish nothing but the best for her in her future.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Thanks for the link stripes. Don't miss the audio slideshow people. The aftermath photo is pretty gruesome. Great story.
    Thanks’ MJ, I missed that video slideshow the first time around. And you're right about the aftermath photo being pretty gruesome. But she looks beautiful now thanks to modern technology.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-15-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Thats amazing... I would still be in my room in a ball crying.
    ps she is still a beautiful woman, scars and all

mtbr member
    May 2008
    this is so crazy, im glad to see she is still riding, but really makes me concerned. around the time of those attacks i rode this trail quite often. and now i am hearing about 3 attacks in aliso creek. does this concern anyone else?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by XtyrantX
    this is so crazy, im glad to see she is still riding, but really makes me concerned. around the time of those attacks i rode this trail quite often. and now i am hearing about 3 attacks in aliso creek. does this concern anyone else?
    How long ago were those attacks? I don't remember hearing about Aliso Creek at all.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Front Range, Colorado
    No, you are more likely to get struck by a car or drop dead of a heart attack. This type of attack is so rare. Yes it could happen obviously but the odds are huge that it will. The best thing to do is always buddy up and never ride solo. You have a much better chance of surviving an attack like this if others are around. You have no idea how many times a mountain lion has watched you and didn't attack, and you being none the wiser. They are an extremely weary and illusive creature and would much rather run away from a human than attack. Most attacks on humans are said to be young juvenile male's that are inexperienced and confused.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    those ones were 4 years ago i believe. it was word of mouth that i heard about the attacks at aliso this season, not sure how reliable the source is. has anyone else heard anything about aliso this season? i ride there almost every weekend. i am a big guy (6'2 230) and the idea of this happening to me scares the crap outta me. theres literally nothing you can do...... :/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    No, you are more likely to get struck by a car or drop dead of a heart attack. This type of attack is so rare.

what does the park do in this event? does it kill the animal? ...i certainly hope not, but maybe moving it would be good, to a further location

Front Range, Colorado
    what does the park do in this event? does it kill the animal? ...i certainly hope not, but maybe moving it would be good, to a further location
    Unfortunately whenever there is human contact [an attack] with such a predator they have to kill it by law. Remember that every open space in the western U.S.A. has these Lions. That is how illusive they are. They are rarely seen but they are among us.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-15-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They kill it if they find it. From what I've heard, cougars are reclusive, solitary, and territorial by nature. They don't relocate well, as that generally leads to a domino effect of that cougar or another being pushed out of the habitat. Further, a cougar that has decided to eat people instead of deer is not normal. It's not like relocating a bear that steals food out of the trash.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    They kill it if they find it. From what I've heard, cougars are reclusive, solitary, and territorial by nature. They don't relocate well, as that generally leads to a domino effect of that cougar or another being pushed out of the habitat. Further, a cougar that has decided to eat people instead of deer is not normal. It's not like relocating a bear that steals food out of the trash.
    What Harry said is correct, Mountain lions, also known as Cougars, Panthers, Catamount's or Pumas, are highly efficient predators. These cats have a wide range throughout the Western states, and populations are increasing. An individual cat's range depends on food availability. Thus, a range can vary from 10 to 370 square miles. And within this range there will only be allowed one male and several females.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    omG.. i think i am gonna puke. more mountain lion huggers here.

"IT'S HER FAULT FOR GOING INTO THE MOUNTAIN LIONS TERRITORY. HUMANS ARE THE INVADERS."

oh please. what a bleeding heart crock of $hit.

when i was up in Chico in the '90's, this gal got killed by a FEMALE mtn lion. she was just jogging (OH MY GOD!! IT'S HER FAULT .. SHE WAS ALONE!! NEVER DO ANYTHING ALONE OR YOU WILL DIE!!). the lion had recently given birth and apparently she was too close to the den. they also cited that the gal was on her period (critters smell that and it sets them off).

anyways.. i just laff at all these people that want / allow animals be part of the "managment". the black bears in in Yose/Tuolumne, Whitney Portals, etc.. makes me sick.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    great i surf and mountain bike, now so-cals two most deadly sports....

mtbr member
    i am a big guy (6'2 230)
    See, that could feed a mother and her cubs for two weeks. Think of the cubs, man. Give a little back. It doesn't always have to be trailwork, ya know?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    haha touche'

Glad to Be Alive
    very cool story
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Front Range, Colorado
    A tragic event turns into a positive and courageous story from the woman that it has happened to. It gets posted on here and people turn it into a joke fest and animal hugger story. Can you guys say tacky?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

dat
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    made my week